Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Royals #1: Preview and Spoilers

Preview for Royals #1 is up on Comicbook.com.

*cracks knuckles* Alright Ewing and Meyers. I am game.

SPOILERS from here on out:

There's a lot of weirdness right from the outset and it's GLORIOUS:

5000 years in a possible future We have a rider on a pterodactyl flying over the city of Arctilan. There are Inhumans(?) in cacoons and a Very Old Inhuman (Only known as the Last Inhuman, but he's wearing Black Bolt''s pattern) is awaiting the rider at the Tower of Wisdom.
    The Rider (who seems to be a giant or alien of some sort) takes Black Bolt to the Obsidian Cliffs. Not sure how those came to be.
    We are told 7 went 4th and only 6 returned.
    Flash to Present Day and Medusa's internal Monologue states how the Inhumans have lost their way as she, Gorgon, and Iso try and subdue the last New Inhuman -who is quite monstrous looking.
    The succeed and get a message from Crystal notifying them of a visitor.
    Back in New Attilan, Noh-Varr states his case to the Royal Family - he tells the Inhumans that there can still be future generations of Inhumans, despite the lost of Terrigen and that the Inhumans, even with all their technology still don't really know who they are.
    Black Bolt does not seem to like Noh-Varr's speech. Medusa on the other hands jumps on the chance to save her race, saying this can serve as the Royal Family's penance. Crystal and Gorgon quickly throw their lot in with Medusa. Swain and Flint are soon to follow.
    We then see each character say farewell to who they need to. Noh-Varr is talking to a head in a jar, Swain says goodby to her girlfriend Ash, Flint to Iso, Crystal to Luna, Gorgon to Petras. Medusa tries to talk to Black Bolt but he gives her the cold shoulder and walks away.
    Flash forward and they are on the ship - Medusa isn't feeling herself -something definitely isn't right. Her hair is breaking and she speaks up and tells her family that
    Medusa is Dying.

There was a LOT to unpack in this issue. Kudos to Ewing to bringing the Weirdness that the Inhumans are known for to the forefront. This issue was epic in every way and I can't wait for the next one. This issue certainly opens up more questions than answers.

I LOVE JonBoy Meyers art here- I think he suits the Inhumans very well, with the exception of a few facial expressions. He does a great job showing an earlier Medusa with gorgeous hair - but in present day her hair looks dry and brittle. I think he and colorist Kinnaird are going to be a perfect fit for this book.
    Last edited by Seren; 04-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Liked the preview, but my main worry and I mentioned in the review of Inhumans Prime is Swain. I really hope that Ewing doesn't make her repeat that she doesn't like to use her powers constantly in every issue of Royals, or she would soon become an extremely annoying character (and she is one of the main reasons I want to read Royals).

Kinda weird that the Inhumans are gung ho about going on this trip even though they're told there might be fatalities and they're not even sure what they're getting by going.

Well Medusa did say it would serve as their Penance for everything that's happened recently. And Crystal and Gorgon are definitely loyal to their family.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Thank You For Making this Thread Seren!

The HYPE is Real! =D

I really like how Ewing is writing this so far, the 1st page alone worked so well with Marvel Boy, but everything is paced so well in his writing.

Also how he Wrote Medusa............DANG Love it, Thank You for that Ewing! ^_^

This is Why Ewing IMO is one of the BEST Writers out their right now, I am So Glad he is on this Book!

Also I am not sure if I am alone in this, but I REALLY Like the Artwork, It makes the World and Characters look exciting and cool, like a Space Epic Should be!

I already have put this Book on my Pull List at My Local Comic Shop and as many Variants as I can Get, All Aboard THIS Train!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member

I'm excited

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Preview for Royals #1 is up on Comicbook.com.

*cracks knuckles* Alright Ewing and Meyers. I am game.
    I'm not gonna lie the Inhumans titles look interesting.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Oh interesting, this preview was longer than what was in the Resurexion Sampler.

It's interesting how much Ewing is showing Medusa's regrets as opposed to the HBIC method of writing Soule went for.

I love how Noh Varr gives no fucks about decorum amongst the Inhumans, reminds me of how Quicksilver used to be in Attilan.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Oh interesting, this preview was longer than what was in the Resurexion Sampler.
    It's interesting how much Ewing is showing Medusa's regrets as opposed to the HBIC method of writing Soule went for.
    I love how Noh Varr gives no fucks about decorum amongst the Inhumans, reminds me of how Quicksilver used to be in Attilan.
    I think Medusa can still be HBIC while admitting to her regrets... indeed the two may very well go hand in hand.
    Not that I'm complaining, but Noh is much more snarky and savvy then he was portrayed in Young Avengers (where he was depicted as a good deal more naive and polite). It would seem Ewing is basing his interpretation more on the original Grant Morrison version as opposed to the Kiren Gillen version. He does very much remind me of Quicksilver (and not just because of the hair :3).

I am actually rather looking forward to this. Al is one of my favorite writers at Marvel, I love the idea of the Inhumans returning to their 'alien' roots and I am really digging the art style. Its great to see Marvel Boy as well, I have loved Noh Varr ever since discovering him in YA. (Is it wrong that I smiled at his 'Sacred Smog' line?)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    I think Medusa can still be HBIC while admitting to her regrets... indeed the two may very well go hand in hand.
    Not that I'm complaining, but Noh is much more snarky and savvy then he was portrayed in Young Avengers (where he was depicted as a good deal more naive and polite). It would seem Ewing is basing his interpretation more on the original Grant Morrison version as opposed to the Kiren Gillen version. He does very much remind me of Quicksilver (and not just because of the hair :3).
    I think you are right. In fact, in a recent Creator Spotlight on Marvel Unlimited he actually put the Grant Morrision Marvel Boy as a reading recommendation.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The art doesn't bother me here, which is a huge plus. Combined with Al Ewing's writing, I'm super excited. I'm also excited for Rosenberg on Royals, though, and Black Bolt has been consistently raising expectations, so I have no idea which book I'm most excited for. It's constantly in flux.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Noh-Varr's power is changing personalities.

This looks more interesting then Soule's run, I may pick up the first issue and see if I like it.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The art looks bad and the comic looks like garbage. I hope the book tanks and Marvel has to cancel it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    The art looks bad and the comic looks like garbage. I hope the book tanks and Marvel has to cancel it.
    this from someone who has John 3:16 as their signature...
    did you actually read the bible?
    "Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen." John 4:20
    go home a practice...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm just going to ignore ridiculous posts like that (it's one thing to say it doesn't look good, but I suspect wishing to get it cancelled is less sincere than deliberately inflammatory).

I do want to comment on the art. I've been on record as not liking it for the most part. However, the preview looks quite good. It makes me far more optimistic than I've been before (even if it's the least anticipated art of the three). That being said, "dynamic" can be fun. Even Rob Liefeld's art, which is just awful, has something about it that, when reading his New Mutants stuff, I couldn't help but think "I can see why people liked this back in the day."
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?