Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    That`s what the culmination of an arc can lead to, not a single scene. To me, PAD going with Ben dealing with his past and current tendencies and actions in the form of two different selves is already a good indication to start with.
    Well, as I said, I was talking specifically about this scene. And for me, it doesn't suggest any kind of regret on Not-Ben's part. All I'm really getting from this is some Deapool'esque wacky hijanks, which seems kind of at odds with Not-Ben's actions in CC. Don't get me wrong, it's not down to PD, he can only go forward with the clusterfup that Slott created.

But even if this arc does lead to Not-Ben looking for some kind of redemption - despite PD's insistence that this book is going to be all moral ambiguity and occasional villainy - Not-Ben'a actions just seem a little too irredeemable to be able to see him as a hero at any time in the future... Well, short of some in-story dodgy cloneage explanation.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Not everyone. I think that's an important aspect of Not-Ben's villainy that takes the edge off of his already extremely fuzzy 'good intentions'
    Point. He was definitely even more deluded than Miles Warren, then. In retrospect, it could be an excellent meditation on how being tortured and abused so horrifically can turn someone as good as Ben was into something like what you and many others disavow as "Not-Ben," but it definitely should've been written better. Not gonna argue that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm not one to provide spoilers, so I'll let someone else start a new thread - but I just read the issue and loved it.

-Pav, who looks forward to chatting about it...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. Thank you people on CBR for all the news of upcoming series that I wouldn't have been cued in to their existence otherwise!

BANNED

I must admit I was a bit disapointet. Ben's whole attitude is just so far away from what I liked about the character in the 90s.
    I am going to give it a couple of issues, but so far it feels likely that I am going to drop it and just wait and read it on Marvel unlimited with a 6 month delay instead. Its not bad at all, but right now its not something I feel is worth the monthly buy.

I feel like Warren got the wrong DNA and used some Deadpool's special by accident at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    I feel like Warren got the wrong DNA and used some Deadpool's special by accident at some point.
    So another Spider-Man/Deadpool hybrid that isn't Itsy Bitsy? Hmm, wonder what would happen if Itsy Bitsy met this Ben Reilly.

Mighty Member

Hmmm. Well, that was a well written issue of Deadpool. Not at all sure why I shouldn't just read Deadpool instead if I liked this.

That said, this was better. This is still a new character reusing the Ben Reilly name but with no relationship to the original, but at least this version of Crazy Ben was interesting. He's very in the moment. The Scarlet Schizophrenic. Curious where PAD is going to go with this moving forward.

Also, please make Aunt June a full member of the cast. She was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Hmmm. Well, that was a well written issue of Deadpool. Not at all sure why I shouldn't just read Deadpool instead if I liked this.

That said, this was better. This is still a new character reusing the Ben Reilly name but with no relationship to the original, but at least this version of Crazy Ben was interesting. He's very in the moment. The Scarlet Schizophrenic. Curious where PAD is going to go with this moving forward.

Also, please make Aunt June a full member of the cast. She was awesome.
    Hmm, Crazy Ben? Can we set him up with Crazy Steve from Frank Miller's Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Not like Ben tried killing everyone and rehashing a 90's plot by the Jackal, no no, it's because he tried to bring people back to life.
    we rationalise and lie to ourselves over our worst actions all the time. it works for me so far
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I must admit I was a bit disapointet. Ben's whole attitude is just so far away from what I liked about the character in the 90s.
    I am going to give it a couple of issues, but so far it feels likely that I am going to drop it and just wait and read it on Marvel unlimited with a 6 month delay instead. Its not bad at all, but right now its not something I feel is worth the monthly buy.
    This comment sums up my sentiments in regards to this issue. I will say it was an incredibly well-written issue. No denying that. Anything by PAD is enjoyable in my eyes. Plus i grew up with Bagley's run on Amazing and USM. So i loved the artwork.

However, this wasn't Ben. Nowhere near. I know this is a clone, and, yes, he was killed and brought back to the point it drove him insane. I get that. In the end though, this came across as Deadpool-lite. If I wanted to read Deadpool, I'd pick up his book. I came to the party on the assumption I would be reading about Ben Reilly. I didn't get.

I will keep an eye on it. I may come back later on since Kaine is in it (I was one of the few who enjoyed his solo a few years back). For now, this simply doesn't entice me to stick with it moving forward, nor commit a portion of my monthly budget towards it.

I am glad nearly everyone else here is enjoying it, though.

Astonishing Member

I'll admit that I like how PAD is treating Ben Reilly, as well as respecting his past in addition to Ben trying to start a new beginning following his recent actions (CLONE CONSPIRACY) and ironically is reminded (toward the final pages) of the consequences of those actions.

....And it's also good that Kaine Parker is involved as well within said series....

...Although this poster is curious as to seeing that since both of the former Scarlet Spiders were members of the NWs that there'll be any encounter for either of them to face (some of ) their former teammates within later issues of this series.....

PS.....Glad to see that Bagley's still have the touch within this latest SCARLET SPIDER Series.

Well, I read it and enjoyed it more than I expected. Ben has a lot of hangups. lol
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

I'm curious if the switch to the old costume in later issues was a knee jerk reaction to how fans responded to this new one

continuity police not going to jump on the two instances that PAD forgot about ben using a voice modulator as the jackal? or maybe it doesn't matter
    troo fan or death