Default DC Events: Required Reading?

Hey!

I have been making my (mostly) joyful way through the New 52 trades, so far I have read the first half of Batman and Detective Comics and I'm just about to finish Aquaman. I was planning to read each character that I am interested (the main 7 plus a few side books), and hadn't really thought about the events. Do I actually need to read them? I feel like I am reading New 52 beginning to end character by character, so I'm not really sure where I fit the events into it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Hey!

I have been making my (mostly) joyful way through the New 52 trades, so far I have read the first half of Batman and Detective Comics and I'm just about to finish Aquaman. I was planning to read each character that I am interested (the main 7 plus a few side books), and hadn't really thought about the events. Do I actually need to read them? I feel like I am reading New 52 beginning to end character by character, so I'm not really sure where I fit the events into it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    First off, I hope the New52 hasn't been your introduction to DC comics, because if so, I'm very sorry, and I hope you look at what came before.

As for your question, no, the events aren't mandatory reading. Most of them are pretty dreadful, the exceptions being Throne of Atlantis, which you've read, and Forever Evil.

There's also Convergence. The main event is terrible, but a lot of the tie ins are fantastic, simply because a lot of them give resolution to plots from Pre-New52.

I am enjoying New 52 so far (with a couple of iffy ones, but mostly good). I am also reading back a bit, I've been reading Batman following a reading order starting from Year One, although I'm only up to Venom, minus Four of a Kind which I couldn't get a hold of. I've been getting All-Star Batman from Rebirth monthly as well, which I'm really enjoying. I have heard very mixed (but always strong one way or another) feelings about New 52, and I'm starting to see why! I'm also planning to read Green Lantern from Rebirth onwards before New 52, and I'm really enjoying Aquaman and am excited for The Flash, so one day I will go back to read more of them too, one day...

Thank you!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I don't know at this point was is required and what isn't, but Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleeson was for me the best DC book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I don't know at this point was is required and what isn't, but Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleeson was for me the best DC book
    In the entirety of the New52, of all the books I checked out, there were only 5 ongoings I personally liked.

5) Animal Man
    4) Mignighter
    3) Aquaman and the Others
    2) Secret Six
    1) Aquaman

Everything other ongoing I looked at was terrible.

Mind you, I didn't read EVERYTHING. Including Batman and Robin. A few people on this forum have said that it's really good so maaaaaaybe I'll pick up the first trade at some point.

This page might help you: New52 Crossovers reading order
    And this one: New52 Reading Order
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-31-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Usually the core issues for events are collected in their own trade. If you can get the event trade from the library that'd cover the main content.

Nah, you can read any series by itself without a problem, unless they are a tie-in series, like the first JLA. The KEY to enjoy the New 52 though is to read only what is worth it. I mean, if GL had 52 issues, just read what Geoff Johns wrote. Don't read whole series by bad writers.

I personally liked a lot of series.

1. Animal Man. Totally awesome.
    2. Phantom Stranger: Never expected it to be so good.
    3. WW: Azz' run is AWESOME, even though it has a legion of bitchy fans rallying against it. Fuck fans, i hate them.
    4. Earth 2: Only James Robinson's run. Sweeeeet book.
    5. Green Arrow: ONLY Jeff Lemire's run. The rest is a big stinkin steaming pile of shit.
    6. Batman & Robin: I loved it right until Damian dies.
    7. Red Lanterns: What a great book, man.
    8. Sinestro: The reason I don't hate Cullen Bunn like a lot of people. That books was solid.
    9. Grayson: AWEEEEESOMEE.

Feel free to avoid Futures End. It's not worth it.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE