Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Alpha Flight #32 - (Bill Mantlo and Jon Bogdanove, March 1986)

Just the smallest scrap of subtext this time.

Aurora’s “our beloved Walter” can be read ambiguously, especially taken as a stand-alone. Even if the sentiment is a little strong, Walter had been a founding member of Alpha Flight, so the “our” could have referred to the team as a whole feeling his absence. But given the twins’ shared grief over Walter’s death a few issues back, it seems far more likely that Aurora means “our” as in her and Jean-Paul’s love for him. And really, it’s a very kind gesture on Aurora’s part to acknowledge the possibility of her brother’s loss being anywhere equal to her own, given what a hard time he gave her and Walter about their relationship previously.

This scene takes place during a time when the twins couldn’t touch each other without their powers shorting out, more unforeseen side-effects of Walter Langkowski tinkering with Aurora’s genetic code back in AF #24. (Without her fully informed consent, remember. Because he was the worst fucking boyfriend.) This was one of the better ideas Mantlo had for the twins, as it added a new layer of delicious angst... erm, a new wrinkle to their relationship – driving them apart physically when they were finally at a place where they could begin to lean on each other for emotional support. Unfortunately, even that didn’t last long before the new direction for Aurora became complete self-absorption.

Next time: My kingdom for a sonogram!

Previous installments of the series can be found here.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Simon Furman!!!

Northstar #1 Apr 1994
    Fast and Loose!

General Clarke sends Tigerstryke, Yeti, Killspree and Double Trouble after Northstar, who has been living a life of luxury since leaving Alpha Flight.

Script by Simon Furman, art by Dario Carrasco, Jr. and Ian Akin
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/simon.../issues-cover/

Northstar by Bevis Musson

What happened to Northstar? Is he still alive after all this terrigen mist nonsense? I am surprised Marvel didn't make Kyle an Inhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    What happened to Northstar? Is he still alive after all this terrigen mist nonsense? I am surprised Marvel didn't make Kyle an Inhuman.
    No confirmation one way or the other, alas. Giving Kyle powers would have been an interesting wrinkle, but Marvel went with Bobby the younger and Romeo for their Inhuman/mutant romance. I can see why - Kyle adjusting to having powers would work better as a long-term B-plot, and that's not something you can pull off when Northstar isn't in an ongoing. Whereas baby!Bobby and Romeo had that immediate tension due to the IvX business and their not being a committed couple (yet?).

I'm hoping Sina Grace touches base with JP & Kyle in the new Iceman series, though.