Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Default R.I.P. Marvel's 'progressive' era, 2012-2017

So it seems like the ‘indie’ era of Marvel comics, which arguably began with Fraction & Aja’s Hawkeye, with it’s focus on ’diversity’ which accellerated after Ms Marvel took off, looks like it’s coming to an end. At least according to this article:
    marvels-david-gabriel-sales-slump-people-didnt-want-diversity-didnt-want-female-characters/

I for one am sad to hear this. As much as I’d like to see an old-school Avengers book, I’ve come to love the new characters and new directions. I think some of these current runs are among the best the characters’ have ever had.

Currently I’m buying more Marvel books than I ever have, and most of them have female or PoC leads. And that’s not because I’m some sort of ‘SJW’ zombie who only buys ‘PC’ books. It’s because the focus on new characters and directions has lead to some innovative stories and artwork.

Some books I love because they’re epic in scope (Thor, Inhumans), some because they’ve got great characterisation (Spider-Woman, Wolverine), some because they deal in genuinely complex political themes (Captain America), some because they’ve got great character interactions (Campions, A-Force), some because of their great art (Black Widow), some because they’re just plain funny (Squirrel-Girl, Hellcat, Gwenpool), and some because they’re all these things (Ms Marvel).

So I’d like to pour one out for an era where Marvel may not have set the stands on fire with sales, but where they looked to the future instead of rehashing the past for a change.

I've never been all that big on some of Marvel's more "indie" books, though I've certainly enjoyed my fair share, but I don't think they're going to stop being progressive or promoting diverse heroes or leads even if they bring the classic heroes back to prominence (and in some cases, competency) as major heroes or major relationships (like the Spider-Marriage) into the spotlight as they are likely to do.

BANNED

I think it's premature to say that Marvel is going to strip their line of diversity and experimentation.

Gabriel clarified his comments:

"Discussed candidly by some of the retailers at the summit, we heard that some were not happy with the false abandonment of the core Marvel heroes and, contrary to what some said about characters “not working,” the sticking factor and popularity for a majority of these new titles and characters like Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl, continue to prove that our fans and retailers ARE excited about these new heroes. And let me be clear, our new heroes are not going anywhere! We are proud and excited to keep introducing unique characters that reflect new voices and new experiences into the Marvel Universe and pair them with our iconic heroes.

"We have also been hearing from stores that welcome and champion our new characters and titles and want more! They've invigorated their own customer base and helped them grow their stores because of it. So we're getting both sides of the story and the only upcoming change we're making is to ensure we don't lose focus of our core heroes."

Marvel may not blanket their line with quirkier, more experimental titles in quite the same way that they have been recently but that doesn't mean that they're completely phasing them out either. It's not impossible for them to have the old-school titles alongside ones that are more progressive.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it's premature to say that Marvel is going to strip their line of diversity and experimentation.

"Discussed candidly by some of the retailers at the summit, we heard that some were not happy with the false abandonment of the core Marvel heroes and, contrary to what some said about characters “not working,” the sticking factor and popularity for a majority of these new titles and characters like Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl, continue to prove that our fans and retailers ARE excited about these new heroes. And let me be clear, our new heroes are not going anywhere! We are proud and excited to keep introducing unique characters that reflect new voices and new experiences into the Marvel Universe and pair them with our iconic heroes.

"We have also been hearing from stores that welcome and champion our new characters and titles and want more! They've invigorated their own customer base and helped them grow their stores because of it. So we're getting both sides of the story and the only upcoming change we're making is to ensure we don't lose focus of our core heroes."

Marvel may not blanket their line with quirkier, more experimental titles in quite the same way that they have been recently but that doesn't mean that they're completely phasing them out either. It's not impossible for them to have the old-school titles alongside ones that are more progressive.
    Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction.

Do people really think Marvel will roll back Ms Marvel and/or Miles Morales? Granted Marvel did go a little hard with the diversity I doubt they will abandon it completely.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I wonder if this includes them continuing to support and push Carol Danvers as captain marvel as their flagship female superhero in the face of struggling monthly sales...I hope so though.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Look I be ok with marvel getting more to basic heroes and numbering again, but Yeah I don't believe any of this BS fans hating female characters, where are the so called "fans" cause on both here on CBR and in real life I have not met one of these so-called fans.

I am a man and I Love female characters, screw that to any dumping down of female heroes!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Maybe it'll be the end of "Superior" status quo's or wacky and "all-new all different" roles for major characters, or even Marvel's event-driven storytelling (probably not) for a while.

I'd happily toast to that .

BANNED

It sucks, but I'm betting that 4 years from now, they give diversity another go on an even larger scale than what they've been doing lately.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-31-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I wonder if this includes them continuing to support and push Carol Danvers as captain marvel as their flagship female superhero in the face of struggling monthly sales...I hope so though.
    They definitely will.

Especially with a movie coming and a very vocal fan base.

I hope for even ground.

I do want the originals to come back but keep all the books that didn't fit that mold like Loki: AoA, Unstoppable Wasp, Moon Girl, Hawkeye or Spider Woman.

They do need to trim the books though, keep the pulls filling but not go to ridiculous lengths like giving almost every Merc for Money a book.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Seriously?

People don´t want diversity, don´t want female characters, Are you sure about that?

This is just a lie, people wants it but not in the way Marvel are putting them into forefront right now, forcing everything, sidelining established characters to just making these characters that never appeared before or just developing them to give the mantle in logical/coherent ways or give time to people to adapt and love them. Characters like James Rhodes, Black Panther, Storm, Misty Knight and also Luke Cage are really so loved by people that never have any problem with them and this is because they were coherently written.

People are tired of the Bad writing, Poor storytelling and the big amount of Boring books that are by far not enough entertaining, also the price that make only a few people able to buy them, the diversity is not the problem.

Mighty Member

There was a backlash to All New Different Marvel because at the time it felt like every character was being replaced, the same thing happened with DC You. They are not saying that diversity didn't work, in fact he stated it was working but it was a case of too much too soon and some fans got turned off.

Marvel needs to do if find the right balance one that please the old fans who like the core characters as they are and the ones that are willing to try something new.

I think Generations might be a step in the right direction.

Niffleheim

You can't just this is all a lie when feedback from retailers is that diversity is one of a number of reasons but I do agree that the other reasons were poor and boring writing
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    There was a backlash to All New Different Marvel because at the time it felt like every character was being replaced, the same thing happened with DC You. They are not saying that diversity didn't work, in fact he stated it was working but it was a case of too much too soon and some fans got turned off.

Marvel needs to do if find the right balance one that please the old fans who like the core characters as they are and the ones that are willing to try something new.

I think Generations might be a step in the right direction.
    Yeah, exactly. This isn't about shutting the door on diversity. That's not what's happening. It's just about finding a balance.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, exactly. This isn't about shutting the door on diversity. That's not what's happening. It's just about finding a balance.
    I'm sorry but this idea of "finding the right balance" is asinine. I'm pretty sure almost every one in comics believe that all the major characters ( well specifically all the major white characters) would make a return. Anyone who thought they were gone forever must be playing a purposeful blind eye to millions of times characters die and come back. No one expected Tony, Bruce and others to be gone forever and by having them temporarily replaced allow these characters greater chances of success. So this was always planned. In the end, as long as when the old characters return, that the legacy characters get equal footing then they're find and the best part is that they will be much better than their DC counterpart that can't get decent selling minority characters to save their life outside of Green lantern, which is essentially doing the exact same thing marvel is about to do.