Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Snagglepuss--comics becoming relevant again?

Comics again begin to matter: Snagglepuss 1, or 0, or # whatever-- I'll be getting the first issue of this certainly, and probably all of them, based on just this page alone. It's set in an odd world of human-types mixed with anthropomorphic-types interacting as if the world's always been this way, with Snagglepuss as an award-winning playwright (here) speaking to Congress. An expensive five or six pages, admittedly, but apparently there's another twenty pages or so preceding this featuring crudely drawn Suicide Squad members mixing it up with Banana Splits members in a totally skip-able something or other masquerading as a story. But again, based on this introduction, I'm now impatient for Snagglepuss #1.snagglepuss 1.jpg
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I know that the point you were trying to make with your post was something entirely different and I should focus on that, but...

DO NOT associate in any way the expression "crudely-drawn" with the art department of the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits story. Not only is Ben Caldwell one of the most talented and inventive artists of his generation, but demeaning his work while elevating Mark Russell's, especially after the two of them produced not very long ago a modern masterpiece the likes of Prez, is pretty much nonsense.

Invincible Member

Well, my knee jerk reaction was, "Wait, comics always were and have never stopped being relevant!" It's what I dislike about the discussion over on the Marvel boards about how after Secret Empire, they're going to stop being "political"...half their icon characters have origins tied to politics!

Having said that, I'm totally looking forward to the new Snagglepuss. It cracks me up that he's been reinvented as Tennessee Williams.

BANNED

FYI, I believe this is a backup story in on of the other DC-Hanna Barbara Specials that are coming out soon, it's not its own book.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    FYI, I believe this is a backup story in on of the other DC-Hanna Barbara Specials that are coming out soon, it's not its own book.
    A Newsarama article on this from back in January was making it sound more like it would be in its own comic book, not just a back-up feature:
    . . . Russell's first Snagglepuss story will appear in the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits annual, which hits shelves March 29. Dale Eaglesham provides the art for that story, which brings Snagglepuss before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Snagglepuss will then follow in fall of this year, with Russell estimating its release in September or October. No ongoing artist has been named.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A Newsarama article on this from back in January was making it sound more like it would be in its own comic book, not just a back-up feature:
    Oh, aha. I only knew about the first story.

Snagglepuss a gay cat whose main enemy is McCartianism? I'm in.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Powertool, you are absolutely right, and I apologize to you and the artists; everything about the lead story just struck me wrong, but to've dumped it all on the art was wrong on my part.
    But hey, how 'bout that Snagglepuss intro, eh?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I was rereading Sheriff of Babylon by Tom king/ Mitch Gerard earlier today so comics were already relevant

But I'm interested in the take even if I wasn't super attached to the HannaBarbera characters.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was rereading Sheriff of Babylon by Tom king/ Mitch Gerard earlier today so comics were already relevant

But I'm interested in the take even if I wasn't super attached to the HannaBarbera characters.
    Flintstones is super quality imo, and I've read a few issues of Scooby Apocalypse and it's not all that bad. I'm personally looking forward to Snagglepuss even if it's a weird take since he is a minor character.

I've only been reading Future Quest but have been enjoying that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I've only been reading Future Quest but have been enjoying that.
    And that, to me, is - too feminist - and I'm female! I paticularly don't like the addition of the token female to my favourites the Impossibles, (always meant to be a BOY band)!! takes attention from the originals and disrupts their interaction, and the original Big D being replaced by the over-exposed Deva, a character who, apart from the fact I can't take to, isn't even original HB. That said, the now old and tired fad of making them "dark" when they were never meant to be is avoided, the story is exciting and the Lovecraftian Omnikron is a brilliant foe! I did cave in and buy a copy of FQ11 for the gorgeous Multi Man full page - just read online otherwise. The Snagglepuss story, like a number of these new HB comics, is just too serious for the character, and stuff like the Banana Splits/ Suicide Squad cross-over just make me think of the Emperor's New Clothes.......!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Powertool, you are absolutely right, and I apologize to you and the artists; everything about the lead story just struck me wrong, but to've dumped it all on the art was wrong on my part.
    But hey, how 'bout that Snagglepuss intro, eh?
    Ah, don't worry, if that was a slip it's definitely no big deal!

About that Snagglepuss intro, let's just say that I wish more writers in the comic book industry were even halfway as good as Mr. Russell at writing dialogue that actually makes you think about what you're reading and at addressing political issues in such an on-point manner. That would be a really important step in revitalising mainstream comics. It goes without saying that I won't fail to pick up a future Snagglepuss title by this creative team.

On the other hand, Howard Porter's anthpomorphic animals are kind of disturbing to look at.

Empty is thy hand!

If you want the same kind of relevance and satire, Russell's Flintstones and Prez are both well worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    If you want the same kind of relevance and satire, Russell's Flintstones and Prez are both well worth the read.
    1+

Russell's flint stones are great! The best issue was when we find out about Fred's military past.