Default Is Rebirth Going To Give Us A Mostly Earth-One/Earth-Two DCU & Superman?

I've been re-reading parts of Infinite Crisis as well as reading up on the Monitor and COIE to try and figure out if there's anything that might suggest where Rebirth is going.

Infinite Crisis establishes something I missed the first time I read it, that Earth-One became the "foundation" of New Earth, with elements of the other four surviving Earths folded into its continuity.

Assuming that's the case, the Earth-One Superman was altered by the merger, with Earth-Two elements overwriting aspects of his past, giving us the lack of Superboy/early development of powers, and a Clark Kent who wasn't a facade for the "real" person of Superman.

Over the years, we saw elements of Earth-One return in updated forms: the Fortress, Kandor, Krypto, and Supergirl. We even got a Superboy, though he wasn't Clark Kent as a boy. Meanwhile, elements of Earth-Two also emerged, like a married Lois and Clark.

Infinite Crisis took things up a notch by establishing that Earth-One was the foundation; in the fallout of IC and 52, we saw a New Earth that was far more like its pre-Crisis self than ever before. Clark's suit was now made from blankets in his ship, he was Superboy with the Legion, Zod and other pre-Crisis/SA/BA elements returned in various ways.

Flashpoint seemed to keep some elements of Earth-One while restoring Earth-Two elements not seen post-Crisis: the Daily Star, the social crusader Superman, and even GA power levels.

Rebirth and Reborn have shown us the restoration of Secret Origin, itself a story with strong Earth-One elements restored by Infinite Crisis.

My larger point is this: have all of these events been moving toward restoring an Earth that will be far more Earth-One/Two than New Earth was? With Convergence a possible factor, we don't know if the Multiverse's preservation meant that the original 5 Earths that merged never merged or if, somehow, they did and we're seeing the "rebirth" of Earths-One and Two more than ever before since COIE. We know the JSA is returning, and it seems more and more likely the post-Flashpoint Earth-Two is going to be ignored or altered by Rebirth.

Any thoughts about all of this? Could be I'm just overthinking all of this, but it feels like the mission of Infinite Crisis that was deviated from with Flashpoint is now once again being taken up.

Its entirely possible. Its not my preference as I've been hoping for a long time they'd consider actually bringing back the Silver Age Earth One/Two set up in theory, but they seem, to date, to have no inclination to do this. But your examples do suggest it could be their mindset to just continue with their one continuity as an inspirational merger of the two.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I thought one of the major moments in Infinite Crisis was Alexander Luthor's discovery that New Earth wasn't Earth One and never had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I thought one of the major moments in Infinite Crisis was Alexander Luthor's discovery that New Earth wasn't Earth One and never had been.
    Unless this is contradicted elsewhere, Johns makes it clear through Kal-L that Earth-One was the "foundation" Earth upon which the other 4 surviving Earth's elements were laid.

earthone.jpg

Astonishing Member

http://wwwwww.***************/images...s-2005/7/5.jpg

Alexander Luthor states that the New Earth was never Earth-One the way he and the others thought. So the earlier scenes you posted were based on Kal-L's mistaken understanding

The link is supposed to be to Infinite Crisis #7 page 4 or 5. It doesn't seem to work when I exit my post.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 04-02-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    http://wwwwww.***************/images...s-2005/7/5.jpg

Alexander Luthor states that the New Earth was never Earth-One the way he and the others thought. So the earlier scenes you posted were based on Kal-L's mistaken understanding

The link is supposed to be to Infinite Crisis #7 page 4 or 5. It doesn't seem to work when I exit my post.
    I went and read that page. While Luthor does say that, I wonder how accurate his comments are. Granted, the pre-COIE Earth-One had ceased to exist, but New Earth was primarily Earth-One with fewer elements of the other four Earths folded in. I think it's possible Luthor was right in that New Earth wasn't technically Earth-One, but also right in that it was the "foundation" of New Earth. Since Johns wrote IC and is behind Rebirth, I wonder if any of this will be part of the larger story.

That's assuming IC even happened in light of Convergence.

Whatever happens. Happens TheNomadicOne's Avatar

Let's assume this is in fact the case. Would you all be happy with that? I personally think it would be interesting.

Fantastic Member

I for one think it would truly amazing if dc were to make a new new teen titans book ie a direct sequel to the convergence series where starfire and dick Grayson are married and also more original earth two superman and power girl and also more earth two dick Grayson as the new earth two batman.
    Last edited by Jovos2099; 04-04-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNomadicOne View Post
    Let's assume this is in fact the case. Would you all be happy with that? I personally think it would be interesting.
    I would love it, because I have always felt that Earth-One is the most refined version of the DCU in its history. Despite the belief of some execs and creators, the DCU was not "confusing" and could have easily shied away from Multiverse stuff without throwing everything out. The "soft" reboots of the Silver and Bronze Ages could have happened instead of the post-COIE reboot. Earth-One really is the DCU that is most universally recognized, especially the Bronze Age. All that's needed is a sliding scale with regard to time and continuity and I think COIE could have been avoided completely, or just used to shut Earth-One off from the rest of the Multiverse.