Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I never understand when people say this. I don't see what the problem is if it's similar to something you've liked before. For the record I loved Sweet Tooth even though I was very underwhelmed by the art. I'm reading many books right now that are very similar to each other, that's why I like them in the first place. If this is anything even remotely as good as Sweet Tooth, I'm all in.
    Because some of us don't really want to read the same thing again and again with slight variations?

....even if, admittedly, that's what a lot of superhero comics can boil down to.

The issue is how "slight" those variations are. If it's significant, than I may be interested in it as a fresh take on something I enjoyed in the past. But just replacing a plague with a giant tentacle monster that turns people into infected/Crossed/28 Days Later....it just isn't enough. Not for me anyway.

Regardless, it's not just that it reminded me a lot of Sweet Tooth....but also that I thought the writing/scripting of Sweet Tooth was miles ahead of this. This first issue was decent. Sweet Tooth's first issue was downright amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    Because some of us don't really want to read the same thing again and again with slight variations?

....even if, admittedly, that's what a lot of superhero comics can boil down to.

The issue is how "slight" those variations are. If it's significant, than I may be interested in it as a fresh take on something I enjoyed in the past. But just replacing a plague with a giant tentacle monster that turns people into infected/Crossed/28 Days Later....it just isn't enough. Not for me anyway.

Regardless, it's not just that it reminded me a lot of Sweet Tooth....but also that I thought the writing/scripting of Sweet Tooth was miles ahead of this. This first issue was decent. Sweet Tooth's first issue was downright amazing.

I don't even find it similar to Sweet Tooth at all. If anything it's more of a direct copy of lone wolf and cub but in a post apocalyptic setting. Funny how you try to make your point of your desire not to read the same thing with slight variations but are worried about contradicting yourself by being defensive about superhero comics. By your theory wouldn't you have to drop all superhero comics? Last time I checked, superhero comics are still very popular.
    Sometimes I feel people are negative just for the sake of being negative.

I loved the first issue of sweet tooth. The writing is far superior to Spread, it's way more deeper. I see Spread as more a fun filled romp with flying infested eyeballs. Sweet Tooth can really break your heart. I don't think they're trying to achieve the same thing.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 07-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I don't even find it similar to Sweet Tooth at all. If anything it's more of a direct copy of lone wolf and cub but in a post apocalyptic setting. Funny how you try to make your point of your desire not to read the same thing with slight variations but are worried about contradicting yourself by being defensive about superhero comics. By your theory wouldn't you have to drop all superhero comics? Last time I checked, superhero comics are still very popular.
    Sometimes I feel people are negative just for the sake of being negative.

I loved the first issue of sweet tooth. The writing is far superior to Spread, it's way more deeper. I see Spread as more a fun filled romp with flying infested eyeballs. Sweet Tooth can really break your heart. I don't think they're trying to achieve the same thing.
    I never contradicted myself. Nowhere in my post did I suggest that I even read superhero comics. I do, but not all that many these days.

And no, "by my theory," I wouldn't have to drop all superhero comics. Because I said that I'm open to fresh takes on familiar tropes where the variations are unique and creative and significant. I just didn't feel that was the case.

And Sweet Tooth and Spread both have that Lone Wolf and Cub thing going on. The key similarity between the two is the "child is the cure" central plot device, plus the post-apocalyptic setting (with raiders and all), with the gruff male lead.

Look, the bottom-line is that I gave the book a chance. I read it with high expectations and wanting to think the best of it. And it felt overly familiar. You can't really argue your way into convincing me that my feeling is somehow "wrong" and hence convince me to feel otherwise. I read it, and it felt very, very familiar. And that heavily impacted my enjoyment of the book. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    I never contradicted myself. Nowhere in my post did I suggest that I even read superhero comics. I do, but not all that many these days.

And no, "by my theory," I wouldn't have to drop all superhero comics. Because I said that I'm open to fresh takes on familiar tropes where the variations are unique and creative and significant. I just didn't feel that was the case.

And Sweet Tooth and Spread both have that Lone Wolf and Cub thing going on. The key similarity between the two is the "child is the cure" central plot device, plus the post-apocalyptic setting (with raiders and all), with the gruff male lead.

Look, the bottom-line is that I gave the book a chance. I read it with high expectations and wanting to think the best of it. And it felt overly familiar. You can't really argue your way into convincing me that my feeling is somehow "wrong" and hence convince me to feel otherwise. I read it, and it felt very, very familiar. And that heavily impacted my enjoyment of the book. It is what it is.
    I would never say your feeling is "wrong". Everyone has their own distinct tastes. I have some friends who feel the same way you do with regards to movies. I just feel if you go in with high expectations like this was Sweet Tooth, you would be highly disappointed and will negatively impact your enjoyment in a lot of comics. Sweet Tooth is a masterpiece.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Got this today. Or really yesturday rather. It is interesting if abit confusing. The "No" name is going to be confusing.

I am going to give it my standard 6 issue pull. But, first issue really didn't grab me at all.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

It's fairly rare that a comic comes out that is 100% original with parts that have never been done before but that being said, I enjoyed this issue.

The art was great, the fight with the eyeball-mouth-monster-dude looked great and the scene was set well enough for me to want to read the next issue. So, yeah. I liked it.