View Poll Results: Is the Sony movie Spiderverse a good idea?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-it sounds like an interesting experiment

3 15.00%
  • No-Sony can make a ton of products but a good film ain't one of them

17 85.00%

Default Is the Sony movie Spiderverse a good idea?

Should Sony go ahead with the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies in development? Should there be a Spider-Man in this universe? Should they be R-Rated? Should they even try to make them a shared universe?

I vote no but I'm not a Spidey mega-fan. Curious what this forum makes of it.

No, because Sony can't be trusted making these films.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Should Sony go ahead with the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies in development? Should there be a Spider-Man in this universe? Should they be R-Rated? Should they even try to make them a shared universe?

I vote no but I'm not a Spidey mega-fan. Curious what this forum makes of it.
    R-Rated superhero movies are often R-Rated for uber-violence and a dumbed down plot, such as The Punisher and Logan, with exceptions such as say Watchmen. I don't see a need for R-Rated Spider-Man, and I don't have high hopes for venom movie either.

From my understanding, these aren't in the same world as Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Apparently Sony stated that the Black Cat/Silver Sable movie will not be in the MU, which is all you need to know to determine it would follow Sony's horrible track record regarding comic movies. Remember this is the same company that made the awful Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2, awful in large part because they refused to follow the comics and thought they could "do it better". This would be the same for Black Cat, Silver sable, Venom, Spiderverse or even an Aunt May goes to Mayberry project. They just don't get it.

It's not really about making a good movie or bad one. The problem I have is why would you make a Spider-Verse without Spider-Man? I just can't get my head around that one.

The last time Sony tried to jumpstart a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe they basically killed their new Spider-Man franchise and needed Marvel's help for a new reboot.

Now they're trying to do a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe...without Spider-Man, since he's still in the MCU.

Forgive me for being dubious about the possibility about this attempt working out better then the last.

I'm going to say no on a Silver Sable or Black Cat for an R rating. Sexy sirens, people will think it is rated R for nudity and not for violence.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'm skeptical that this'll work, but we'll have to see.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I don't get it. Is Eddie going to talk about how Peter Parker WAS PART of HIS ORIGIN?!!!
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

BANNED

I thought the OP was referring to this article on CBR today:

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-sony-cinematic-spider-verse/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    From my understanding, these aren't in the same world as Spider-Man.
    But they are reportedly planning a shared universe of Spider-Man characters, which is where the title comes from. Whether there is a Spider-Man in this universe hasn't been confirmed or denied.

The reason as to why I voted no is because Sony does not have a Kevin Feige. They don't have a person who respects the character and wants to make a good movie but rather a quick buck because of how much they are desperate for money.
    If they had someone like Greg Weisman, or Sam Raimi even, saying what they should do with Spider-Man and the rest of the franchise then maybe I would give SONY a chance. But they don't have either of them and I doubt that they would even listen.
    Also the leaked emails from Sony makes me worried as well at what they could do.

BANNED

Given how Sony did the last two Spider-man films, prevented Spider-man 4 from being made and their promotional marketing for Ghostbusters 2016....this has the makings of another bad idea all over it.

All they need to do is trust Marvel and the MCU and NOT try to get involved. Let Marvel do its magic and hope for the best coming out of it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Good idea? Yes. Do I expect the execution to be good? Not exactly...