Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Would Damian work as Robin in the DCEU?

I've seen a few conversations about who Warner Brothers should move forward with as Robin in the DCEU. We know there's a Nightwing, so it's obviously not Dick, and we know that a Robin has already died, presumably that is Jason Todd. Now, I don't think there's anything guaranteeing that they will have another Robin, but if they were to have one, it would most likely be either Damian or Tim. Like I said, I've seen some debate as to who they should choose, but I'm wondering if they can even do Damian properly (btw I personally prefer Damian over Tim in the comics). I think even Tim fans should agree that there's more story-telling opportunities in the DCEU with Damian (in terms of Damian's origin as an Al Ghul), and that Damian is a better fit with the darker tone they've laid out so far. But there's a couple problems I see:

1. My first point is that I don't think they could work a 10-15 year old Robin into the movies. It works in the comics, but it's just too far fetched to put on screen. Could you imagine a 13 year old in the warehouse scene from BvS? He would get his ass kicked. Even an extremely skilled child doesn't have the muscles to beat up fully grown adults. Also, I can't see Ben Affleck's Batman bringing a child into his war on crime. It just doesn't fit for me. I think they'd have to go with a more Arkham style Robin and age him up to be 20-25ish. Which leads into my main point:

2. I don't think you can introduce a 20-25 year old Damian Wayne. So much of his character revolves around him being a child who's been corrupted/indoctrinated by his mother and grandfather. The dynamic between Bruce and Damian is completely different if they're introduced when Damian is already an adult. At that point it's pretty much too late to rehabilitate Damian and turn him into the lovable brat he is today.

Also, I don't think we have really seen a successful version of Damian as a young man in the comics. They kind of tried it in Injustice, but (while I still liked it) I don't think it was well received. So they'd really be changing the character entirely to put him in the movies. Maybe they could take the Injustice route and make him a troubled 17-18 year old. I could see that working, especially if Batman didn't want him to be Robin at first, but he kept escaping to go fight crime on his own. Anyway, I'm curious to hear what other people think!

btw, sorry if this is kind of long. This is the first thread I've started.

Right off the bat you'd get accusations of an adolescent Damian being a ripoff of Hit-Girl, so they might not go for it just for that. It'd be an absurd accusation, but I could see people making it.

Then there's the whole tonal mismatch thing, plus the DCEU Batman probably not wanting to recruit kids, plus the fact that you'd need to hire an actor who can both pull off Damian's personality and at least a bit of the stuntwork required (I guess they could use CGI for that, but then that's extra money).

And if it's an adult or even older teenager Damian... why bother?

I think a live-action Damian who is even decently accurate isn't very likely.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I doubt we're going to get a present day Robin in the DCEU at all. I think Damian is do-able if they make him a young adult and cast the right dude, but there's a lot of things that can go wrong with that if they aren't smart about it. And this is Warner Brothers, they've screwed up much easier-to-adapt characters than Damian. Somehow I think them trying to do Tim is even less likely, since WB doesn't seem to like that character.

Ultimate Member

Yes BUT I'm not sure folks would be happy with a 11-13 year kid fighting along side Batman in a live action film.

And with certain laws with how much filming and WHEN you can film with a minor might be a turn off.

It's not impossible but is it really worth doing?

Tim would be easier to do.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I doubt we're going to get a present day Robin in the DCEU at all.
    I think I'm with you on that. I don't think there's no chance they will, but I'm dubious to say the least. Another problem with introducing Damian (and this applies to Tim too) is it would be difficult to manage it as a B-plot. Striking a balance between Batman dealing with whoever the main villain is of his solo movie and dealing with a son he never knew he had sounds very difficult. Although I guess they did it in that animated movie...but it would probably be easiest to just avoid the problem by not introducing a new Robin at all.

People ate up, Hit Girl. I don't see a reason why they won't do the same with Robin. Just add genetic engineering techno-babble (and ninja training) to justify him being stronger and faster than your average 13 or 15 year old.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

BANNED

If they have decided to go with a Robin then its just a matter of time before Damian shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I doubt we're going to get a present day Robin in the DCEU at all. I think Damian is do-able if they make him a young adult and cast the right dude, but there's a lot of things that can go wrong with that if they aren't smart about it. And this is Warner Brothers, they've screwed up much easier-to-adapt characters than Damian. Somehow I think them trying to do Tim is even less likely, since WB doesn't seem to like that character.
    I think the problem with doing Tim is he ends up being the odd man out with Dick (first and iconic Robin), Jason (the one who went wrong), and Damien (current Robin and can be done as a reverse-Jason), especially when you throw in the compressed timeline. It isn't fair, but that's how it often is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
    I think even Tim fans should agree that there's more story-telling opportunities in the DCEU with Damian (in terms of Damian's origin as an Al Ghul), and that Damian is a better fit with the darker tone they've laid out so far.
    I don't know, I actually think that Damian is (if done like in the comics) to catoony for liva action. And I don't really think that Hit Girl is a counter agument, since Kick Ass is more or less a parody of the superhero genre.

The other problem if they are going for a Kid is that he will be a teen when the next movie comes arround, and while you can find actors that can still pass as (older teens) teens in their 20s, thats not really an option for kids.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think the problem with doing Tim is he ends up being the odd man out with Dick (first and iconic Robin), Jason (the one who went wrong), and Damien (current Robin and can be done as a reverse-Jason), especially when you throw in the compressed timeline. It isn't fair, but that's how it often is.
    If Dick and Jason aren't Robin appart from short flashbacks and Damian doesn't exist, thats imo not really a problem.

He probably could fit pretty well tbh. He could be somewhat similar to x-23 from Logan. A raised assassin with no regard for most normal customs. Also fits the tone the DCEU is trying to hit

He is the best fit when it comes to the Robins.

All-New Member

I think the comparisons to Hit-Girl are a little off. Hit-Girl works because Kick Ass was a comedy that didn't take itself seriously while the DCEU could be reasonably accused of taking itself too seriously.

Actually, I've been thinking about it more, and I think there's one big reason why Damian would work over Tim, which is the fact that Damian and Bruce are blood related. If Tim was trying to be Batman's new Robin, Batman could just say "no, go home". Damian is someone Bruce can't say "no" to. He has to figure out a way to make it work because he's responsible for his son.

If you introduce a 16-17 year old Damian, it's still reasonable for him to have a coming of age character arc, and if you play up his genetic enhancements (which is an aspect of his character I've never liked and have pretty much ignored) it can kind of make sense to see him going toe-to-toe with fully grown thugs. I still think it's harder to sympathize with an aged up Damian. It's much easier to see a 10 year old kid as a victim of his family and his upbringing than it is to see a 17 year old (who might just come across as a huge dick).

I still think there would be issues trying to introduce Talia, Rha's Al Ghul, and the League of Assassins BEFORE you even get to Damian. The whole thing just seems a lot cleaner if you go with Tim as his backstory isn't as messy/complex as Damian's. I guess there's pros and cons for each but I'm leaning towards Damian right now.

BANNED

Thing is after Joker and Sirens I'd say the al Ghuls are next in line in terms of priority. They've been exposed so much that its hard to bet against their inclusion. Damian is a natural part of that story and it allows them to do something different from Nolan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    He probably could fit pretty well tbh. He could be somewhat similar to x-23 from Logan. A raised assassin with no regard for most normal customs. Also fits the tone the DCEU is trying to hit
    I would absolutely agree with this. Damian's relationship with Bruce Wayne is the least nonsensical of all the Robins.