Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When it comes to Damien I actually preferred him with Grayson as his Batman over Bruce.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
    I think the comparisons to Hit-Girl are a little off. Hit-Girl works because Kick Ass was a comedy that didn't take itself seriously while the DCEU could be reasonably accused of taking itself too seriously.

Actually, I've been thinking about it more, and I think there's one big reason why Damian would work over Tim, which is the fact that Damian and Bruce are blood related. If Tim was trying to be Batman's new Robin, Batman could just say "no, go home". Damian is someone Bruce can't say "no" to. He has to figure out a way to make it work because he's responsible for his son.

If you introduce a 16-17 year old Damian, it's still reasonable for him to have a coming of age character arc, and if you play up his genetic enhancements (which is an aspect of his character I've never liked and have pretty much ignored) it can kind of make sense to see him going toe-to-toe with fully grown thugs. I still think it's harder to sympathize with an aged up Damian. It's much easier to see a 10 year old kid as a victim of his family and his upbringing than it is to see a 17 year old (who might just come across as a huge dick).

I still think there would be issues trying to introduce Talia, Rha's Al Ghul, and the League of Assassins BEFORE you even get to Damian. The whole thing just seems a lot cleaner if you go with Tim as his backstory isn't as messy/complex as Damian's. I guess there's pros and cons for each but I'm leaning towards Damian right now.
    I don't see the problem his back story isn't actual as complicated as the other Robins. Tim has the most complicated story if we are being honest since his story is dependent on others. Damian backstory is he is the son of Batman with Talia it's not that complex at all.

To answer the original post yes Damian would work as Robin in the DCEU. Especially after Hitgirl and X23 he works very well.

I also don't believe the role will be difficult to cast. Every other company manages it easily it seems.

The problem with Injustice Damian was what happened with Dick and the fact that he was an exaggerated caricature of Damian.

I don't know if Robin will be in the DCEU though that line Alfred had about future Waynes in BvS could be a spoiler.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 04-03-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I don't see the problem his back story isn't actual as complicated as the other Robins. Tim has the most complicated story if we are being honest since his story is dependent on others. Damian backstory is he is the son of Batman with Talia it's not that complex at all.
    But you need imo the Al Ghuls arround (and preferable introduce them and Talias relation with Bruce a movie or two before you introduce Damian) to make it work.

Tims original story relies on Dick and Jason being around, but thats imo less of a problem, since Dick and Jason are around in the DCEU, and it wouldn't be much of problem to reduce Dicks importance in the origin (Carrie Kelly worked also without that connection).
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But you need imo the Al Ghuls arround (and preferable introduce them and Talias relation with Bruce a movie or two before you introduce Damian) to make it work.

Tims original story relies on Dick and Jason being around, but thats imo less of a problem, since Dick and Jason are around in the DCEU, and it wouldn't be much of problem to reduce Dicks importance in the origin (Carrie Kelly worked also without that connection).

Exactly, Tim's origin story is much more workable than Damian's. It can easily be tweaked to fit whatever story Warner Brothers wants to tell, while Damian's requires the introduction of Talia, Rha's and The League of Assassins. Not only do those elements need to be introduced, but Bruce's relationship with Talia and with Rha's needs to be established as well. Very difficult to do to in one movie, especially if it's not the main focus of the film (which I think we say with confidence that it wouldn't be).

If you were to introduce Damian in a post credits scene of the first Batman solo film however....that might work...hopefully Affleck will stay on for more than one.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Exactly, Tim's origin story is much more workable than Damian's. It can easily be tweaked to fit whatever story Warner Brothers wants to tell, while Damian's requires the introduction of Talia, Rha's and The League of Assassins. Not only do those elements need to be introduced, but Bruce's relationship with Talia and with Rha's needs to be established as well. Very difficult to do to in one movie, especially if it's not the main focus of the film (which I think we say with confidence that it wouldn't be).

If you were to introduce Damian in a post credits scene of the first Batman solo film however....that might work...hopefully Affleck will stay on for more than one.
    Again you are over complicating it. Nolan managed it in one movie and he was dealing with the more complicated Batman and Ra's story for Damian you don't even need the Ra's bit. Though I do think that Ra's and Talia will be showing up in this universe.

That Robin suit could be their way of saying that there is no Robin

BANNED

Again you are over complicating it. Nolan managed it in one movie and he was dealing with the more complicated Batman and Ra's story for Damian you don't even need the Ra's bit. Though I do think that Ra's and Talia will be showing up in this universe.

Technically it took Nolan 2 films. Still I dont see an actual present day Robin being anyone other than Damian. DC always goes with Dick as Robin, now that he's Nightwing they'll go with the second character they always use as Robin and that's Damian. Complications in backstory is for writers to sort out later after decisions have been made and direction has been set.

Damian actualy works very well in the DCEU in fact any robin works.

It's not about easy,, complicated or what ever. It's about the world they are building. At the end of the day it's about WHO they want not how easy it is.

It's about which Robin story adds the most, is the most interesting and which Robin will audiences will get pumped for.
    It's about the story not how easy. Easy doesn't matter if it's not want you want.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Technically it took Nolan 2 films. Still I dont see an actual present day Robin being anyone other than Damian. DC always goes with Dick as Robin, now that he's Nightwing they'll go with the second character they always use as Robin and that's Damian. Complications in backstory is for writers to sort out later after decisions have been made and direction has been set.
    Yeah I believe it's more a question of who not how easy or difficult. They are building a universe so if there is a Robin. Then they have a pretty set idea of who he is and what role he plays in that universe.

All-New Member

I think you're underestimating how complicated it would be. You're right that Nolan was able to introduce Ra's and the League in one movie (he didn't introduce Talia in it, however). I think the difference is that Ra's was the main villain of that movie (or at least one of them, him and Scarecrow kind of share the spotlight). I don't think we're going to have another movie that features him as the main antagonist again anytime soon. Meaning you have to introduce him, Talia (and establish her long, romantic relationship with Bruce), and Damian all as a subplot to whatever the main plot is (a Court of Owls storyline, for instance).

I'm not saying it's impossible, just difficult. With Tim you can basically just take Joseph Gordon Levitt's character from TDKR and call him Tim Drake. Have him save Batman's ass in the second act and show up as Robin in the third act and you're pretty much good to go.

I think you're underestimating how complicated it would be. You're right that Nolan was able to introduce Ra's and the League in one movie (he didn't introduce Talia in it, however). I think the difference is that Ra's was the main villain of that movie (or at least one of them, him and Scarecrow kind of share the spotlight). I don't think we're going to have another movie that features him as the main antagonist again anytime soon. Meaning you have to introduce him, Talia (and establish her long, romantic relationship with Bruce), and Damian all as a subplot to whatever the main plot is (a Court of Owls storyline, for instance).

I'm not saying it's impossible, just difficult. With Tim you can basically just take Joseph Gordon Levitt's character from TDKR and call him Tim Drake. Have him save Batman's ass in the second act and show up as Robin in the third act and you're pretty much good to go.
    Bruce and Talia can be done in 0ne movie as well but you are missing the point. If there is a going to be Robin it will be decided on the bases of audience appeal not easy of introduction. Plus do they want Robin to be some random who happened to save batman or do they want him to be significant like say the son of batman.

which story concept sounds more appealing to you @cuthbert

BANNED

Tim could have had a shot if this was a tv show we're talking about. A movie however is a different story. If they're going to go through the trouble of introducing Robin then they're going to want him to be significant. Tim was created to fill the void left behind, comics are cyclical and reliant on established tradition. Movies have no such compulsion, they have no incentive to introduce Robin just to complete a set. Why do you guys think Tim misses out usually? the rules of adaptation are different from the traditions of the comics. The movie guys are not going to care about "Batman needs Robin".

BANNED

I'd also like to point out that Damian is similar to Dick and Babs conceptually. Damian like them was not created to fill a void, satisfy a need,nor was he created to put the status quo back in to place. They were all created to rock the status quo and do something different. The world was going fine without Damian afterall. The others were created to satisfy the status quo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Bruce and Talia can be done in 0ne movie as well but you are missing the point. If there is a going to be Robin it will be decided on the bases of audience appeal not easy of introduction. Plus do they want Robin to be some random who happened to save batman or do they want him to be significant like say the son of batman.
    Yeah but the main plot of that movie would than be the introduction of Damian. While Tim could be introduced in a subplot.

It comes really down to a lot of factors imo. If they want to go for a more classic Robin Tim is the better choise, and his chemistry with Bruce is usually also better. Also Tim is easier put in a support role in case Ben Affleck doesn't want to share the spotlight to much...

And then there is of course the question if they want to do a Robin solo movie...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

which story concept sounds more appealing to you @cuthbert
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Damian. Like I said in the OP, I'm a much bigger fan of Damian than Tim. I'm just comparing/contrasting what it would take to introduce either character in a film. And also like I said in the OP, I think even Tim fans should be able to admit that Damian opens up many more interesting story telling opportunities than Tim. I think a wider audience would love to see a blood son of Batman (I know when I first found out about the character I thought it was an awesome concept). I also think having a child with one of your villains allows from some really cool story points.

I'm just debating which one is more feasible. I think my two main points against Damian are that it's much easier to age up Tim a la Arkham Knight than it is to age up Damian. I don't think we've ever even seen a successful version of Damian at the age they'd need him to be for the movie.
    The second point is that it would take a lot more work to introduce him because you'd have to introduce the Al Ghuls and Batman's romance with Talia before you could even get to Damian. I just think that's a lot to introduce as a subplot, but ultimately I think Damian is a much better fit for the DCEU than Tim.

Extraordinary Member

And also like I said in the OP, I think even Tim fans should be able to admit that Damian opens up many more interesting story telling opportunities than Tim. I think a wider audience would love to see a blood son of Batman (I know when I first found out about the character I thought it was an awesome concept). I also think having a child with one of your villains allows from some really cool story points.
    If I look at the comics and Animated Movies most of this oportunities have again been the Al Ghuls, and in the cinematic universe I would prefer to see a bigger variaty of batmans rogue gallery.