Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    BANNED

If willow wilson will write a new book a for new minority character again, i dont think what she said will work.

Incredible Member

G. Willow Wilson is quite possibly the most intelligent person currently working at Marvel. If not, then she is clearly the most self-aware of the situation of why Marvel's diversity push is failing. And I applaud her for honesty and no bullshit public relations excuses.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 04-04-2017 at 01:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    If you can't explain in very simple terms what a character is about, you have a contrived and convoluted character in your hands. Cable is a character with a convoluted origin story and even him has a simple origin than him. Morales origin is Spider-Man from other universe that was bitten by a genetically altered spider that becomes Spider-Man after the Spider-Man that was Peter Parker dies, but not really and keeps being Spider-Man... because. Oh, he is from a different universe that died and everyone died and he remembers everything but never mentions because reasons. .
    What a character is about has nothing to do with the origin in the terms you are talking about it. You are condensing years of continuity plus a complex universe spanning saga in order to make it seem complex. Easy.

Miles is a teenager that acquires his powers because of an uncle that he idolized, thinking he was cooler than his father, and then discovers he was actually a gangster. That make him reevaluates what's really important in a person and trying to be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    What a character is about has nothing to do with the origin in the terms you are talking about it. You are condensing years of continuity plus a complex universe spanning saga in order to make it seem complex. Easy.

Miles is a teenager that acquires his powers because of an uncle that he idolized, thinking he was cooler than his father, and then discovers he was actually a gangster. That make him reevaluates what's really important in a person and trying to be a hero.
    ^^^^^^
    This

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    G. Willow Wilson is quite possibly the most intelligent person currently working at Marvel. If not, then she is clearly the most self-aware of the situation of why Marvel's diversity push is failing. And I applaud her for honesty and no bullshit public relations excuses.
    That's not quite what she said...

Miles has been established for years now, sells quite well, shows up in cartoons, is getting an animated movie made about him...

And yet... these last couple pages just puts a spotlight on what is wrong with the loud comic fan base. Geez louis
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Too loud.

Y'all are at a 9 and we need y'all at a 3, at most, kay?

heh.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Miles has been established for years now, sells quite well, shows up in cartoons, is getting an animated movie made about him...

And yet... these last couple pages just puts a spotlight on what is wrong with the loud comic fan base. Geez louis
    Miles hasn't had to survive without the most popular and most powerful writer at Marvel behind him yet. Someday Bendis will move on and then we'll have a better idea of how popular he really is.

BTW I have nothing against the character.
    Last edited by Grim Ghost; 04-04-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Miles hasn't had to survive without the most popular and most powerful writer at Marvel behind him yet. Someday Bendis will move on and then we'll have a better idea of how popular he really is.

BTW I have nothing against the character.
    He

Got

A

Movie

plus he is outselling GoG, Jesscia Jones, and IronDoom, all written by the same guy.

People only pull out the "Its all Bendis!" card when talking about Miles.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I don't have an issue with Miles being created, mine is how he was created

Bitten by an enhanced spider to gain power
    An influential Uncle
    A one parent home that does not trust super heroes
    A death that he could have prevented if he used his powers causes him to become a hero
    Learns in a round about way that with great power comes great responsibility
    Hell Bendis even now has him hooking up with Gwen Stacy

I liked him way better in the All-New-Ultimates when Michel Fiffe was writing him better than anything Bendis did. I like Miles, I just wish he had a better origin that can't be compared so closely to the original or even his own damn rogues gallery, at the lest one arch enemy that was not Parkers. I also really don't like Bendis but I'm sure that I hide it really well and no one can tell.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    And it would be very awkward if her comments land her in some nasty trouble with Marvel and something happens to her.

Now I may sound like I'm overreacting, but this is an industry with a comic company that fired a fantastic writer like Gail Simone over an email for no reason, so all bets are off.
    Yeah, but if Marvel thought they had a PR shitshow on their hands before, imagine where they'd be if they gave Wilson the boot. She'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Ms. Marvel feels genuine because it's written genuinely and people can tell that.
    I can believe that that's true.

To paraphrase Alan Moore in 'Writing for Comics', "Don't write for an 'intended' audience. They don't exist and your story won't be true."

BANNED

I think Ms. Wilson's words are being repurposed to grind some axes, to be honest.....

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I think Ms. Wilson's words are being repurposed to grind some axes, to be honest.....
    How more clear can you get than this:

1. This is a personal opinion, but IMO launching a legacy character by killing off or humiliating the original character sets the legacy character up for failure. Who wants a legacy if the legacy is shitty?
    Trying to twist what we are discussing here is not only disrespectful to the people's intelligence that post here, it's disrespectful with what Wilson flat out said it. Which is quite clear and straight forward. A stance that me and many others agree. You might disagree with her, you might disagree with me, you might disagree with others that feel the same, that doesn't change the fact that's what she said it. It's not an ax to grind, it's something that people have been pointing out it's happening with Marvel for a long time. And this is coming from a mixed race South American man with very strong progressive views, supposedly part of the group that Marvel is marketing this.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post

That origin works. Congrats on that. But is that really Miles origin tho? Because at the end of the day, what I see is Miles fans going out of their way to explain Miles origin, but I don't see how that origin makes sense within the MCU. Like, at all. It'd be easy to course correct that, it'd take the erasing of his Ultimate Spider-Man stories but that's the price the character has to pay to play in the bigger sandbox. As it stands, Miles is a character that looks pretty cool, represents something very important but acts like just like Peter Parker without any of his motivations and pathos. He's a poor man's Peter Parker, and that will eventually hurt the character in the long run if eventually they don't something about it.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X