Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Jane's supporting cast is basically the Asgardians plus SHIELD Agent Roz Solomon - the same cast from God of Thunder.

Jane does have her cancer, remember. Which means unless she quits being Thor she's destined to die. Being willing to let her mortal form die is actually part of what makes her worthy. Aaron surely has some sort of resolution planned for that. The other reason she's worthy and Odinson isn't? The whisper. Thor no longer believes that ANY God is worthy, and of course, Jane is not a God.
    Off topic - but I find it interesting that while Jane is worthy because she is not a god, she then turns into a god which then makes her unworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This is the reason why people dont buy these books, cause it's a book that's supposed to be about a certain type of hero telling the story about something else.
    Awfully arrogant to say. Who are you to dictate what the books are "supposed" to be about if you're not the writer?

Like for Ms. Marvel's case, what is her book "supposed" to be about in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Awfully arrogant to say. Who are you to dictate what the books are "supposed" to be about if you're not the writer?

Like for Ms. Marvel's case, what is her book "supposed" to be about in your mind?
    If you asked me before Kamala Khan existed, I'd say that it'd be the venue to show new adventures of Carol Danvers after getting upgraded from Miss Marvel. Now, Kamala Khan redefined what Ms. Marvel means, more than Carol Danvers has done for the name Captain Marvel so far. With that said, I feel Marvel Studios will knock it out of the park with Captain Marvel's film. With that said, I think the future is bright for Kamala. If Marvel Studios play their cards right and secure that character for the future, I could honestly see her taking over from Brie Larson after she has a trilogy and some big Avengers films. Why? The Death of Captain Marvel is such a Marvel Comics classic that I can see it happening in the future again in the MCU, this time with Carol instead of Mar-Vell. And who would take over? Ms. Marvel. It feels right, in a sense that Miles Morales or RiRi Williams taking over never would. There'd be a build up, there'd be history. Captain Marvel is the single viable legacy character I can see in the MCU, way more than Captain America. I could see Falcon or Winter Soldier taking over eventually in the MCU, but at the end of the day, Captain America is Steve Rogers. Now Captain Marvel, I could see it.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I don't get it. Bendis is her creator the only writer she ever had so far. then how can she be interesting and promising if Bendis is the problem?
    Easy, he has a good concepts/ideas for a new characters but his execution (ie: how he writes the characters) fails in its depiction of these characters.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    She nailed it on the head and good for her for calling out her own company!!! Bravo, finally some great honesty and not just towing the company line or drinking the Koolaid!
    agreed!
    10char

And it would be very awkward if her comments land her in some nasty trouble with Marvel and something happens to her.

Now I may sound like I'm overreacting, but this is an industry with a comic company that fired a fantastic writer like Gail Simone over an email for no reason, so all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    Easy, he has a good concepts/ideas for a new characters but his execution (ie: how he writes the characters) fails in its depiction of these characters.
    Bendis biggest creations are a boy that was bit by a spider and got powers, a former avenger named Jessica turned privite eye, and a girl engineering prodigy (look up Rodey's niece)
    Bendis is a creative leach and a sub-par story teller.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    And it would be very awkward if her comments land her in some nasty trouble with Marvel and something happens to her.

Now I may sound like I'm overreacting, but this is an industry with a comic company that fired a fantastic writer like Gail Simone over an email for no reason, so all bets are off.
    The way I see it, it isn't Wilson that should be afraid. It's Marvel. I love Gail, but she didn't create Ms. Marvel, she didn't create Barbara Gordon. She has a following and she is a great writer, maybe even more tested than G. Willow Wilson, but Wilson is arguably one of the hottest female writers in the industry right now. Losing her to creator owned work or DC would be a huge loss for Marvel. If anything, Marvel Comics should be listening to her and scared shitless, not the other way around.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Some times I wonder if Movie Bob lurks there threads

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Bendis biggest creations are a boy that was bit by a spider and got powers, a former avenger named Jessica turned privite eye, and a girl engineering prodigy (look up Rodey's niece)
    No axes to grind here, eh?

(From my standpoint, Riri Williams is the character that's LEAST fits what Ms. Wilson was talking about--her progenitor was put on the bus, but we know he's coming back;, both Thor Odinson and Steve Rogers were arguably humiliated and certainly Bruce Banner was killed.....).

Its interesting to see comic writers opinion on this on Twitter etc (Mark Waid seems to be commenting on it as I type). The basic gist seems to be 1) Not to take that certain 'website' at face value and check the facts first, and 2) that Marvel need to accept that more female, minority characters are needed or future fans will flock to other companies. I do think that while they could approach some things like 'legacy' characters better, rolling back what they have done over the past few years (More female solos, more diverse writers and characters etc) would hurt a lot more then sticking the course and just trying to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    No axes to grind here, eh?

(From my standpoint, Riri Williams is the character that's LEAST fits what Ms. Wilson was talking about--her progenitor was put on the bus, but we know he's coming back;, both Thor Odinson and Steve Rogers were arguably humiliated and certainly Bruce Banner was killed.....).
    Your standpoint seems a tad bit sugarcoated to me. I don't see two ways around what Wilson said and I think that sentiment resonates strongs here because it's exactly what me and many others think: Miles Morales, RiRi Williams, Sam Alexander and to a less extent, Amadeus Cho superhero origin stories were all poorly handed in the sense that they feel like a gimmick. Miles Morales doesn't have one single attribute to differ him from Peter Parker other than he's younger and with a different skin colour. RiRi Williams was sold like a genius character but never showed why, never really established.

My beef with Sam Wilson's Cap isn't because he isn't my Captain America. My beef there is the same I used to have with Nightwing being Batman: Neither Falcon or Nightwing need the shadow of Cap or Batman. Especially in Falcon's case because he's at his most popular right now with the Marvel Studios films. Luke Cage has become a popular mainstream phenomena thanks to the Netflix show. I think Spencer's Sam Wilson Cap book is extemely cool tho, and I understand why they went that way. It feels earned, even more so than when Bucky took over. With that said, I feel that eventually, Falcon needs to get his own book. Slowly creating demand, maybe. Make him important to Secret Empire, maybe not launching his book just afterwards Steve become the main Captain America again, but generating demand for it. Vision had a very strong series that is critically acclaimed and will keep selling trades. Hawkeye was the same thing, and same goes for Fraction's Iron Fist and Waid's and Samnees' Black Widow. Falcon deserves to shine on his own eventualy.

The road for characters like Ms. Marvel, Jane Thor and Falcon is easier than I'd say for the true "Marvel Comics diversity initiative" characters. These previous characters have already proven their worth. I honestly think that Pak is on with something with Cho's Hulk, but it's still not there yet. It's worse for the others. I feel like what both RiRi and Miles need is to find their Ta-Nehisi Coates, someone that is able to reinvent them, keep most of the fanbase and go further. They are not there yet. But like Moviebob said on the video above, it's sometimes a long and bumpy road. It could be easier if Marvel wasn't a mess right now tho.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Its interesting to see comic writers opinion on this on Twitter etc (Mark Waid seems to be commenting on it as I type). The basic gist seems to be 1) Not to take that certain 'website' at face value and check the facts first, and 2) that Marvel need to accept that more female, minority characters are needed or future fans will flock to other companies. I do think that while they could approach some things like 'legacy' characters better, rolling back what they have done over the past few years (More female solos, more diverse writers and characters etc) would hurt a lot more then sticking the course and just trying to improve.
    That's what royally pisses me off. Regardless of the angle that Bleeding Cool covered, shifting the blame to them seems childish at the very best. Sometimes, humility goes a long way. Look how DC Comics handled the situation with DC Rebirth. They went out of their way to explain that they messed up and that there was something missing, now they are thriving on success even when their films are going through a turmoil that the Marvel characters never faced, since the stakes are so much higher right now with how cinematic universes are an actual reality since the MCU. Now, the comics division of DC Comics is recognizable, praised by the fans and the critics, while Marvel Comics doubled down on becoming unrecognizable to fans, either those that are into comics already and those that want to get in but don't have an idea how. I can't recommend main books for friends that want to get into comics wanting characters that are in the MCU because the single one that sort of is recognizable is Guardians, but the stories suck. The best thing I can think of is Waid's and Samnee's Black Widow when it comes to main characters, and maybe one of the Doctor Strange books. Marvel became too complicated its own good, and while that might be cool for some, it's detrimental to the industry as a whole. I don't care if Marvel Comics beats DC Comics day month and day out, I want to see both companies succeeding on captivating fans, new and old. Right now, only DC Comics is doing that job right.
    Pull list:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    A Moon Knight fan shouldn't be whining your boy gets chance after chance and always get cancelled.

Miles is getting an Animated Movie.
    Jessica Jones has a Netflix show.

Looks to me like Bendis creates winners something poor Moon Knight aint ever going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    A Moon Knight fan shouldn't be whining your boy gets chance after chance and always get cancelled.

Miles is getting an Animated Movie.
    Jessica Jones has a Netflix show.

Looks to me like Bendis creates winners something poor Moon Knight aint ever going to be.

I'm quite certain that Moon Knight's time to shine is coming. Either with Marvel Studios or Marvel TV, it's coming. I love what Marvel has been doing with Marvel Netflix (despite Iron Fist, I mean, that kind of backfired), but as long as that universe can't be integrated with Marvel Studios as a whole (still hoping for some sort of cameo in the next Infinity War Avengers films), I'd rather see Marvel Studios take on a Batman-like character than Marvel Netflix. We already have Daredevil from them, which is amazing. But I think Marvel Studios could use some Moon Knight in the future. And I think it's coming, between now and ten years from now. Going back to your point, I'd say that Bendis is a great salesman. He uses all within his power to push for his characters. Which is fine and great, as long as they were truly his. They aren't, they are versions of previous characters and contrivedly conceived at that. I don't blame just him for that tho. It's like Hickman said on his twitter almost one year ago. As long as there isn't an incentive to actually create new IP, we will see very sparse characters coming along that are truly original from either Marvel Comics or DC Comics. I honestly think that both the big two should start thinking hard on that. They need to balance the act of keeping old concepts fresh while introducing new ones. And that's not really the writers and artists jobs alone, it's Marvel's and DC's. It's basically evolve or die. That or something else will come along eventually and become the new hot thing.
    Pull list: