Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Default Reactions to the Dark Nights: Metal news/revelation at Fan Expo Dallas?

This summer's Batman-centric (but wider than Batman also) event got its name revealed this week: Dark Nights: Metal.

What little else we learned or just comments:
    -Snyder and Capullo are reuniting with Jonathan Glapion on inks and FCO Plascencia on colors...the original Bat team (original Snyder/Cap run team)

-Longtime planned: "I've been planning Metal for as long as I've been writing Batman," says Snyder. "But this is bigger than Batman. Greg and I started dropping clues during Court of Owls, we continued through our Joker stories and we placed our biggest hints in the run that culminated with Batman #50. And now we're back to tell a story that breaks everything apart. This will be the definitive project of our careers. Metal takes us in an entirely new direction. Greg and I will dig beneath the surface of all the stories we've told to find a place of terror and twisted nightmares."

-On the title itself: “Metal has a lot of meanings in the story,” Snyder said. “There’s the Nth Metal, but there’s also the spirit of heavy metal. That get up and play no matter what. That is very much Batman.”

-On the scope/tone: "We didn’t want to just play the greatest hits. We wanted to do something bigger, because the fans have always been so good to us. We wanted to give them a huge rollercoaster ride.”...."Even with terror and nightmares, it won’t be grim...Metal will be celebratory, huge, and crazy. I’ve said it before: I am going for out-of-control dinosaurs and lasers.” He told us that it will involve Nth Metal and just about every corner of the DC Universe, but it is bigger than we can possible imagine. “If Batman is a kiddie pool, we’re about to go swimming in the ocean,” Snyder said of the scope of the event. Snyder stressed that Metal was, in a way, a tribute to DC events he read as a kid, not only in scale but in shear insanity. “The DC events I grew up with were so big and insane, you almost couldn’t wrap your head around the. Just bonkers stuff. I wanted to capture that feeling.”

-On the theme(s): In press release, DC said Dark Nights: Metal will "examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, and open up worlds that are forged by nightmares."

-Dan DiDio said about the project: “I couldn’t be more excited to see Scott and Greg take on the DC Universe. Dark Nights: Metal leans into the strength of the relationship Scott and Greg forged on Batman to launch something new and unexpected. We’re pushing the world’s finest heroes in new, unexplored directions to tell a giant story, using all the characters in our pantheon."

-[now know the actual Metal title itself is 6 issues, so 6 issues of Snyder/Capullo].

-Misc panel eyewitness notes (per Outhousers .com):
    "this is going to bring back characters that will surprise us. What he really wants Metal to be new, and bring back old characters in a new way."
    ""Metal" and the foundation of this story is forging "metal". Batman is discovering a secret hidden in the dawn of human history involving Nth Metal. Batman will travel everywhere in the DC universe to solve this mystery."....which is probably the best plot summary we have so far
    "it is also a collaboration with Dan Jurgens on Superman, and Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman."

Some of the better articles online:
    http://nerdist.com/batman-scott-snyd...ics-wondercon/
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...rheroes-990544
    http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/04/02/s...metal-this-su/
    http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...tal-event.html

My theory thread: My theory and I could be quite wrong is that the Court of Owls is the main baddie here, this is their "Mantling"
    http://community.comicbookresources....C-summer-event

I started this thread to get any reactions. Or maybe you heard of additional tidbits.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-05-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

I love his passionate entusiasm e and I`m smidged interested in this but he needs to chill a little on selling the product. It`s always "bigger, better, deeper!" with him.

At some point is like hearing a car sale over and over.

Looking forward to the event. Snyder and Capullo team is gold

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I think at some point, we just have to accept that these things get hyped as part of marketing. Scott has tried it all in terms of talking about stories, he's said the kinds of things that irk you about some stories, and has also tried saying very little about others or understating. I think he's just being himself more than anything and just letting his excitement out. He's flat out just said something like that he felt mandated to tell bigger more epic ante upping stories because Batman was that kind of title (unlike perhaps Tec where he did Black Mirror). Considering this is a DC event, the main-est of titles in a way, I think I can especially understand that kind of specific type of hype coming back here.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Jurgens and Rucka? Shiit Bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Jurgens and Rucka? Shiit Bruh.
    I get the feeling from those panel notes that there is a bit of a Trinity focus perhaps coming with this event. That whatever other tie-ins, Superman & WW get the second most focus behind Batman in all this. Considering the Trinity is a big deal and Snyder worked on Superman some, I think that seems to make sense.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-03-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _guvin View Post
    To me, snyder gets control (and changes) too many things about characters so it is beyond me why they would give snyder the reigns to make defining moments in the DCU (IMO of course...not only do i hate the writer
    I can see that, but, Snyder sells. He moves books for DC. His Batman run really moved books. I'm not always the biggest Geoff Johns fan, but in no way could I say I was surprised he's doing any DC event or being given a lot of control. I like Snyder myself as a writer. And I think Metal will really connect with me because it's so Batman-centric. I think I'm sort of expecting Snyder's version of Cosmic Odyssey some.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

I adore American Vampire at least initially (tailing off a little lately), Snyder's Batman isn't Morrison bad but it isn't great either, so I guess I find it meh.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I love his passionate entusiasm e and I`m smidged interested in this but he needs to chill a little on selling the product. It`s always "bigger, better, deeper!" with him.

So much this. I really enjoy listening to Snyder, but except for Black Mirror, I have literally never liked any of his endings that he was writing solo. (I liked Batman Eternal and Gates of Gotham, but those were mostly co-written, so I'm not sure he can fully take credit for that). I'm sure the book will be big - but I have no faith that it will be in any way satisfying.

Of course, I'm not sure how much of this is because I don't trust Snyder to write a halfway decent ending, and how much is because I hate event comics almost more than any other kind of comic.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

As a Hawkman fan, it's not exactly exciting watching an announcement about another (despite what Didio says) Batman celebration happening with Batman taking over Nth metal. Zero interest actually. I will be surprised if they do anyone other than Batman justice.
    Hawkman: Lord of the Skies!

Honestly, when his Batman run was basically just one big event after another with Snyder and Capullo trying to top themselves, the pair coming together for a big DC summer event is probably just the natural conclusion of that relationship .

I am really curious to see how Hawkman and Mr. Terrific are involved, and just how all the stuff from Snyder's run is going to mesh with a story that seems to be about exploring or revealing new stuff about the DCU. Could be really interesting .

And if Rucka is involved...I almost want to take that as meaning he might stick around DC for a while longer? Dare I hope ?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

At the moment I'm far more interested in The Button and War of Jokes and Riddles than I am in this. Snyder is great when he's at the top of his game but I'm still burnt out on his Batman work. Think this one will be something I read in trade on Hoopla later.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Scott Snyder‏ @Ssnyder1835 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Scott Snyder Retweeted Pedro M
    Six issues, all by us. All contained. Like with owls, joker, tie ins with be additive, speak to their own series
    So, this is very much the old Snyder/Capullo model coming back in full form.

6 issues is kinda on the too short side for me, even though Dark Days are kinda added issues, but I'm still excited and will get this of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    So, this is very much the old Snyder/Capullo model coming back in full form.

6 issues is kinda on the too short side for me, even though Dark Days are kinda added issues, but I'm still excited and will get this of course.
    Given how long and drawn-out events can be, six issues feels like a good compromise, especially since Snyder/Capullo are likely to put in a lot of content in those issues for us to digest .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And if Rucka is involved...I almost want to take that as meaning he might stick around DC for a while longer? Dare I hope ?
    I have a thread over on the Wondy forums where I speculate exactly this!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord