Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Heroes

Default Netflix Heroes

Now that we've seen Daredevil (two seasons), Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I've notice something. None of the heroes seem to like being "heroes" (except for Night Nurse, but she's not really one of the heroes). This is in sharp contrast to the movie heroes, who, for the most part, love doing what they do. I wish there could be a little more balance at Netflix. Although I like all of the Netflix heroes, I think I'd like them better if there was a little more lightheartedness to them.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member

Hey. I think they want to portray a realistic world. If we got those powers, it would fack us up and we all have demons from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Hey. I think they want to portray a realistic world. If we got those powers, it would fack us up and we all have demons from the past.
    Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. I don't think "realistic" necessarily means dark and unhappy. That's why comics were so bad in the 1990s.

Sandy Hausler

I never got the impression DD doesn't enjoy beating on people

and punisher really enjoys what he does lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I never got the impression DD doesn't enjoy beating on people

and punisher really enjoys what he does lol
    You might be right.

You know, I love the heck out of the Netflix hero shows, but the five minutes that Spidey fought Captain America in Civil Wars -- pure gold.

Sandy Hausler

Banner doesn't really enjoy what he does, neither does Widow. Hawkeye was pulled out of retirement. Iron Man feels a constant, desperate need to atone for a past of lazy hedonism, to the point where he's become a sort of mad scientist forever trying to make the world a better place, with very mixed results. Rogers is a man out of time who never felt at home anywhere even back in his own time, and who has become addicted to war because it is the only place he ever had purpose and belonging. Thor is really the only guy who seems content with his lot, and basically just wants to preserve what he has, and is mostly fighting to keep what he has from slipping through his fingers. He has the least amount of angst, which is probably why he needs Loki to work as a character.

Angst is a Marvel staple. Netflix characters might have it slightly worse, because they are mostly poor people, and because the very serial nature of their stories leads to the angst being lingered on. In a movie, the angst is only going to be showed long enough to establish it as one plot-point in a chain of plot-points. In a series, entire episodes are likely to explore that angst.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    You might be right.

You know, I love the heck out of the Netflix hero shows, but the five minutes that Spidey fought Captain America in Civil Wars -- pure gold.

Sandy Hausler
    Given the format of Netflix vs movie, Netflix stories are always going to be more character driven than action driven, and there's only so much character development you can do with a generally happy character.

For the life of me I can't see how they are going to extend this concept into a Defenders show.

Iron Fist wants to be a hero, he just doesnt want to be a mall cop. They messed up LK, dont care about JJ, but DD likes doing what he does. But he does it as a last choice type of thing.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I think the movies have the monopoly on light superhero fun, there's no reason to expect Netflix not to do it's own thing.

Why would you expect something to play in someone else's corner rather than carve out it's own place and identity?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Given the format of Netflix vs movie, Netflix stories are always going to be more character driven than action driven, and there's only so much character development you can do with a generally happy character.

For the life of me I can't see how they are going to extend this concept into a Defenders show.
    Character driven does not mean depressed and unhappy. And I think you can get plenty of character development out of happy people, given great powers, and placed in difficult circumstances.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I think the movies have the monopoly on light superhero fun, there's no reason to expect Netflix not to do it's own thing.

Why would you expect something to play in someone else's corner rather than carve out it's own place and identity?
    Uh, both movies and Netflix are playing in the same toybox -- Marvel's. There are no monopolies on what Netflix can do and what the movies can do. Netflix can do a grim and gritty series -- I think Jessica Jones works great in that kind of world, But is that ALL they can do?

Sandy Hausler

Danny is a total ray of sunshine compared to Orson Randall.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Danny is a total ray of sunshine compared to Orson Randall.
    Sorry. Who?

Sandy Hausler

Orson was the Iron Fist prior to Danny during the The Immortal Iron Fist run.

Pointing out that some of it is more lighthearted than it might seem in context.

Eh, they're fine as they are. I like that each section of the MCU has its own flavor. But if you look hard enough, there is humor and happiness sprinkled throughout, just like there are some dark themes and moments sprinkled throughout the films...both are done in ways that suit the overall tone of each suite of product.