Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netflix Heroes

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Banner doesn't really enjoy what he does, neither does Widow. Hawkeye was pulled out of retirement. Iron Man feels a constant, desperate need to atone for a past of lazy hedonism, to the point where he's become a sort of mad scientist forever trying to make the world a better place, with very mixed results. Rogers is a man out of time who never felt at home anywhere even back in his own time, and who has become addicted to war because it is the only place he ever had purpose and belonging. Thor is really the only guy who seems content with his lot, and basically just wants to preserve what he has, and is mostly fighting to keep what he has from slipping through his fingers. He has the least amount of angst, which is probably why he needs Loki to work as a character.

Angst is a Marvel staple. Netflix characters might have it slightly worse, because they are mostly poor people, and because the very serial nature of their stories leads to the angst being lingered on. In a movie, the angst is only going to be showed long enough to establish it as one plot-point in a chain of plot-points. In a series, entire episodes are likely to explore that angst.

This. /threadkiller

I thought Luke Cage had the best jokes and despite all its grit Daredevil gave us the Avocado at Law meme so it can be fun when it wants.

Since it was the first one out Daredevil set the tone and Daredevil was all about the consequences of heroism so the others followed suit. I was reading the Mark Waid run on DD and i think that approach might work for what your asking. It had a lighthearted touch but it never stopped being DD.

Daredevil definitely wants to be a superhero. Luke Cage didn't originally but did by the end. Iron Fist wants to be one but is having difficulty pulling it off. The only one who doesn't WANT to be what she's become is Jessica Jones, which fits into her character totally.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Darededevil is mostly famous for the darker takes on the character. Jessica Jones starts in a dark place, too. I like movies like Unbreakable and Midnight Special, so no problem with Netflix' adaptions. For Defenders I'm hoping for a tone closer to the PowerMan and IronFist comics, though.

Fantastic Member

I don't think any of the series are totally humourless or without their lighter moments (Davos vs. Pizza, Advocadoes At Law, there are more) but the setting informs the tone to a degree and these aren't superheroes - they are normal people who ended up with super powers, which is not at all the same thing. I can see The Defenders having some lighter stuff as well - Jess and Danny do NOT seem like the types to get along well right off the bat and that could be played for laughs as easily as for drama.

Ultimate Member

Marvel is clearly trying to appeal to as many demographics as possible, and spreading things out amongst different networks:

-AOS is more a mix of espionage/sci-fi.
    -The Netflix stuff is the more gritty and violent "street level" stuff.
    -Cloak & Dagger and The Runaways appeal to the YA crowd (and romance as well in C&D's case).
    -Squirrel Girl and the New Warriors will be more of a comedy apparently.
    -Etc.

And then the films hit the traditional big budget crowd-pleaser demographic (while also trying to be different from one another at the same time).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    I don't think any of the series are totally humourless or without their lighter moments (Davos vs. Pizza, Advocadoes At Law, there are more) but the setting informs the tone to a degree and these aren't superheroes - they are normal people who ended up with super powers, which is not at all the same thing. I can see The Defenders having some lighter stuff as well - Jess and Danny do NOT seem like the types to get along well right off the bat and that could be played for laughs as easily as for drama.
    Speaking of Jessica, she's a freaking rape victim suffering from PTSD, who has her super powered rapist walk right back into her life and start stalk her again. And all the while wrestling with the guilt that she killed the wife of the the guy that she's attracted to and sleeping with.

Yeah not exactly a "fun and upbeat" life right there.