Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why doesn't DC do more with the OTHER BATGIRLS in Batman's history ?

Television appearance and video game appearance aside, DC does have other Batgirls besides Barbara Gordon. So Why doesn't DC focuses on them more often they do with Babs ?

Popularity aside Barbara isn't really the FIRST Batgirl in the Batman series as that fell to Betty Kane as Bat-Girl. So why isn't she given enough respect ?

Same for Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown. DC keeps on promoting changes in diversity, but can't truly see what's in front of them and revert these two back to normal status in the REBIRTH/New 52 line.

Honestly it's like DC doesn't Care about the OTHER Batgirls besides Babs. It's all a cash grab if one were to look into it.

As Bat fans and Batgirl fans what do you think of this ?

because there's only one Batgirl that Bruce Timm enjoys shipping with Batman.

Now, to be serious: Bette not as relevant as Babs is, most don't even know who she is. Cass and Steph are just too new to have been used in anything by older creators like Timm or Tucker who just don't keep up with the current ongoings of comics. None of the other Batgirls are as easily marketable as Damian is as a new Robin or Jason as the rebellious one, for example, so I imagine there's no one from higher up that's asking them to tell a story about these other girls, either. And that basically leaves you with no one involved that wants to do anything animation-related with these characters. Video games is more or less the same thing.

Of course, you may at least get to see Spoiler in Young Justice season 3, if they get around to introducing her.

Barbara Gordon came about as Batgirl in conjunction with the Batman TV show back in 1966/1967. She also appeared in the animated Batman series back before Cassandra Cain was created in the comic books. As such, she probably is the most visible version of the character.

For merchandising/videos/etc., companies often have a tendency to go with the most well-known version of a character, and that would be Babs in terms of the general public.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

Honestly it's like DC doesn't Care about the OTHER Batgirls besides Babs.
    This. It's as simple as this one sentence.

Helena and Charlie's status is debatable, and that's not what this is about, and Bette was retconned into never having been Bat-Girl Post-Crisis.

However, with Cass and Steph, the other, 100% official Batgirls, Dan DiDio hates them. Having repeatedly stopped writers from using them, and describing them as "toxic".

Meanwhile, Babs is the one who got to appear in the 60's show, and later BTAS, so she became the "iconic" Batgirl for many. And has gotten all the media attention since. They WANT people to see Babs as the only Batgirl, and so they don't let the others shine.

It's bullshit, especially from my POV as Cass is my favorite character in all of fiction, and Steph is my 5th favorite DC hero, but until DiDio is gone, they don't have a chance.

BTW, prepare for a major shitstorm on this thread.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Barbara Gordon came about as Batgirl in conjunction with the Batman TV show back in 1966/1967. She also appeared in the animated Batman series back before Cassandra Cain was created in the comic books. As such, she probably is the most visible version of the character.

For merchandising/videos/etc., companies often have a tendency to go with the most well-known version of a character, and that would be Babs in terms of the general public.
    Pretty much what the Major says - Cass and Steph were Batgirl after the most well remembered version of Batgirl was put out on the Animated Series, so it's quite difficult to get past the inertia of "Well, we already have one Batgirl ready to put in our stuff".

I'm still disappointed that the Arkham games didn't take the opportunity of having Babs as Oracle and have Cass or Steph as Batgirl. Seemed like a perfect opportunity.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I guess this is all obvious to you and me, but not to fans who didn't first discover Batgirl between the 1960s and when Cassandra Cain and/or Stephanie Brown first stepped into the role.

Barry Allen was the Flash when I first discovered the character in the 1970s, so that's who I think of first when I think of Flash, but I'd surmise that people who discovered the Flash during the 1990s will always think of Wally West first.

For a very long time, and perhaps for the foreseeable future, the versions introduced during the Silver/Bronze Ages have been/will be the most widely recognized versions. That is likely to gradually change, but not for a long time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

I'm still disappointed that the Arkham games didn't take the opportunity of having Babs as Oracle and have Cass or Steph as Batgirl. Seemed like a perfect opportunity.
    Not just Arkham. Beware the Batman, which I refused to watch because of its depiction of Anarky, HAD Babs as Oracle, HAD Lady Shiva as a villain, and yet when it came time to give Batman a teenage girl partner, they went with Katana. If that doesn't show how much they clearly HATE Cass, I don't know what does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    This. It's as simple as this one sentence.

Helena and Charlie's status is debatable, and that's not what this is about, and Bette was retconned into never having been Bat-Girl Post-Crisis.

However, with Cass and Steph, the other, 100% official Batgirls, Dan DiDio hates them. Having repeatedly stopped writers from using them, and describing them as "toxic".

Meanwhile, Babs is the one who got to appear in the 60's show, and later BTAS, so she became the "iconic" Batgirl for many. And has gotten all the media attention since. They WANT people to see Babs as the only Batgirl, and so they don't let the others shine.

It's bullshit, especially from my POV as Cass is my favorite character in all of fiction, and Steph is my 5th favorite DC hero, but until DiDio is gone, they don't have a chance.

BTW, prepare for a major shitstorm on this thread.
    Charlie ?!?

BANNED

Charlie ?!?
    Charlie, AKA Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe, AKA Misfit, member of the Birds of Prey.

misfit.jpg

For a brief time, during the EvilCass arc (HAAAAAAAATE), Charlie declared herself the new Batgirl.

charlotte.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Charlie ?!?
    Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe aka Misfit.

Helena is just better known as Huntress and is also used in that role in other media.

Bette is quite obscure and not really fleshed out.

And Steph is imo also stronger connected with Spoiler than with Batgirl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe aka Misfit.

Bette is quite obscure and not really fleshed out.
    I'd be careful what you say about Bette. Her fanbase is small compared to the others, besides Charlie, but man, they are JUST as passionate as Cass and Steph fans. yeah, as Bat-Girl she had zero personality, but Flamebird is a pretty damn cool heroine.

BANNED

Charlie, AKA Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe, AKA Misfit, member of the Birds of Prey.

misfit.jpg

For a brief time, during the EvilCass arc (HAAAAAAAATE), Charlie declared herself the new Batgirl.

charlotte.jpg

Ah, now I remember. Thanks for the visual aid.

I'd be careful what you say about Bette. Her fanbase is small compared to the others, besides Charlie, but man, they are JUST as passionate as Cass and Steph fans. yeah, as Bat-Girl she had zero personality, but Flamebird is a pretty damn cool heroine.
    That's also part of it right there - most of the other Batgirls have had other heroic identities. Flamebird, Huntress, Spoiler...so DC thinks they can have their cake and eat it too - if they want to use one of the other characters (especially the first 2 who are better known in the other guise) they can use them AND Babs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's also part of it right there - most of the other Batgirls have had other heroic identities. Flamebird, Huntress, Spoiler...so DC thinks they can have their cake and eat it too - if they want to use one of the other characters (especially the first 2 who are better known in the other guise) they can use them AND Babs.
    Babs has Oracle too. And frankly, I think more stories can be told with her in that position than as Batgirl. But this is about bias, and they're ALWAYS gonna avoid using Cass and Steph, so long as DiDio is around.

Babs already has a foothold, and she has the simplest and most relevant origin in regards to the Bat mythos. She's the most recognizable and accessible Batgirl. And the more they use her as Batgirl the less sense it makes for them not to use her Batgirl.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.