Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Lol, it's absolutely still bigotry. In fact, the moderates will keep minorities down much more effectively than the radicals.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    This. I think this agenda was also responsible for the fall of Scott and Emma. Both non-PC characters that were "removed" from the equation so that more PC characters could replace them. The "feedback" Marvel is hearing is that this doesn't work for the majority of fans. I can agree that this is certainly the feedback Marvel would get from most of the customers at the shop I frequent, small sample size aside.
    What Diversity Characters replaced Scott and Emma? X-Men are probably whiter than they've been in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Aighthomie View Post
    What Diversity Characters replaced Scott and Emma? X-Men are probably whiter than they've been in a while.
    He said political correctness not diversity. Cyclops was swapped out for a younger more "heroic" nostalgic version as per certain editors and writers at marvel who did not like Old Cyclops preferred him to be stuck in the circle of boyscout with Wolverine showing him up every now and again.

Frost isn't the archetype Disney have been pushing since taking over. Hence the reason why she's a villian and we have a entire book of duplicate X-Men.

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

I don't think this is meant to show the X-Men are no longer a minority metaphor. Just that they're going to focus more on superheroics. For all we know the rest of the team might handle their Mutant identity differently and even disagree with Kitty somewhere down the line.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    I don't think this is meant to show the X-Men are no longer a minority metaphor. Just that they're going to focus more on superheroics. For all we know the rest of the team might handle their Mutant identity differently and even disagree with Kitty somewhere down the line.
    Leading to a.....SCHISM!!

J/k.

Amazing Member

Here's what I hope this signals an end to:

In AvX, the X-men were minding their own business, got attacked by the Avengers, and come off as the morally ambiguous "bad guys" in the end because Reasons.
    In Inhumans vs X-men, the Inhumans have clouds that literally will make mutants go extinct, and the X-men are written as morally ambiguous "bad guys" because Reasons. And Emma behaves like an irrational, vindictive nutcase instead of an ice queen because Reasons.

When they've not been abused by bad writing, they've been on the brink of extinction. (Or both.) Hope's story of pursuing the five lights was a brief little moment of...ahem...hopefulness, but many loathed her as a character. It's been downhill for mutants since House of M. A little fun and hopeful optimism after years of misery is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafyd View Post
    Here's what I hope this signals an end to:

In AvX, the X-men were minding their own business, got attacked by the Avengers, and come off as the morally ambiguous "bad guys" in the end because Reasons.
    In Inhumans vs X-men, the Inhumans have clouds that literally will make mutants go extinct, and the X-men are written as morally ambiguous "bad guys" because Reasons. And Emma behaves like an irrational, vindictive nutcase instead of an ice queen because Reasons.

When they've not been abused by bad writing, they've been on the brink of extinction. (Or both.) Hope's story of pursuing the five lights was a brief little moment of...ahem...hopefulness, but many loathed her as a character. It's been downhill for mutants since House of M. A little fun and hopeful optimism after years of misery is not a bad thing.
    That kind of has more to do with movie rights than anything. Disney's trying to make the X-Men less significant or relevant by constantly turning them into villains or putting them on the brink of extinction. As a lifelong fan of X-Men I hate how they're doing this, but from a business standpoint, I don't blame them. Any good stories or characters they make now go straight to Fox's roster for their movie universe, not the MCU.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    Just that they're going to focus more on superheroics. .
    So they're just another Avengers now. Zzzzz.

The minority theme was the engine behind the franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope Pixie View Post
    So they're just another Avengers now. Zzzzz.

The minority theme was the engine behind the franchise.
    Yes, but now it's rather dated and dull.

If I'm a new reader looking for minority characters, would I read X-Men and content myself with questionable and outmoded allegory, or would I read something like Midnighter and Apollo or Black Panther which, you know, star actual minorities. Probably the latter.

The X-Men need a new schtick, and Guggenheim isn't the man to create it despite whatever mild praise he's getting coming off of Lemire's atrocious run.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 04-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.

I believe the metaphor still works because non-mutants with powers do not get the same treatment as mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Yes, but now it's rather dated and dull.

If I'm a new reader looking for minority characters, would I read X-Men and content myself with questionable and outmoded allegory, or would I read something like Midnighter and Apollo or Black Panther which, you know, star actual minorities. Probably the latter.
    ^This. The metaphor kinda falls flat when it's being represented by predominantly white people, while there are representations of real minorities in other titles.
    Last edited by darthblinx; 04-05-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    ^This. The metaphor kinda falls flat when it's being represented by predominantly white people, while there are real representations of minorities in other titles.
    Storm is black you know, Magneto is jewish so is Kitty Pryde, Iceman is gay now, Jubilee is asian, but oh well I'm not going to list every x-man character ever, there are lot of diversity in the X-men franchise.

People who wants to read generic superhero stuff should go read the avengers that way >>>>>>>>

So, Gold came out and thw metaphor is clearly still very present there. Though I'm not quite sure Guggenheim will handle it in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi-Lord View Post
    I believe the metaphor still works because non-mutants with powers do not get the same treatment as mutants.
    That's a myth. The Hulk, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four to a lesser extent are distrusted too. The only heroes who really are above that are the ones who don't really have powers to begin with like Captain America, Black Panther, Iron Man, etc.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Kitty said they were ALSO going to show the world what they are. The X-Men have spent way too much time being mutants and not nearly enough time being heroes.
    Uh, the X-Men can't spend too much time being mutants. Every minute they're alive, they're mutants. Kitty can suppress her identity, but hiding it doesn't actually change her identity.

Guggenheim, through Kitty, is saying mutant and hero are now suddenly mutually exclusive, which makes no sense.