Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Spirituality & the Power of Myth in X-Books

Ever since ‘All-New and All-Defferent’ X-Men mythology has been fueled by the immediate saga of our human experience. One of the great gifts the books have offered is the opportunity to explore the truth seeded at the core of our episodic days. In both a personal and social sense, the X-Men books have sought to break down the borders that isolate the interwoven dynamic diversity of our spiritual existence.
    There is an X-hero for nearly everyone – a character that manifests an outward realization and vehicle for our most intimate selves. Often times it’s not so much the ‘super power’ as it is the ‘burden of that power’ that draws us to our hero. It is not so much the desire to see ourselves in god-like invulnerability – but to see our vulnerabilities realized and transformed through struggle – to unlock the chains of our unique inheritance…and become truly the hero to ourselves – and then to the world and one another – that we ‘know’ deep down.
    Modern day Mythologist Joseph Campbell writes in ‘Power of Myth”:
    “Shakespeare said that art is a mirror held up to nature. And that’s what it is. The nature is your nature, and all of these wonderful poetic images of mythology are referring to something in you. When your mind is trapped by the image out there so that you never make the reference to yourself, you have misread the image.
    The inner world is the world of your requirements and your energies and your structure and your possibilities that meets the outer world. And the outer world is the field of your incarnation. That’s where you are.”

I am very interested in learning more about the spiritual connection X-fans have with their favorite characters. About the personal connection that you have with your favorite X-Man…the one I’d suggest is the closest to the one vested within yourself.

I’d also like to learn more about fan reactions to how spiritual mythology has been explored throughout the X-Books. Indigenous oral histories, classical mythologies, religious sagas, pagan pathways, occult, atheism, earthbound and spiritual science – all of this and more have been a large part of the X-books throughout the ages. Never diminishing any of these embodiments of the human experience – but allowing them an open field of interbeing – that like us, in the world, coexist more closely and dependently than we may ever know.

exXmen04.jpg
    xmen.jpg
    planet-earth-from-space-2.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 07-08-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Ever since ‘All-New and All-Defferent’ X-Men mythology has been fueled by the immediate saga of our human experience. One of the great gifts the books have offered is the opportunity to explore the truth seeded at the core of our episodic days. In both a personal and social sense, the X-Men books have sought to break down the borders that isolate the interwoven dynamic diversity of our spiritual existence.
    There is an X-hero for nearly everyone – a character that manifests an outward realization and vehicle for our most intimate selves. Often times it’s not so much the ‘super power’ as it is the ‘burden of that power’ that draws us to our hero. It is not so much the desire to see ourselves in god-like invulnerability – but to see our vulnerabilities realized and transformed through struggle – to unlock the chains of our unique inheritance…and become truly the hero to ourselves – and then to the world and one another – that we ‘know’ deep down.
    Modern day Mythologist Joseph Campbell writes in ‘Power of Myth”:
    “Shakespeare said that art is a mirror held up to nature. And that’s what it is. The nature is your nature, and all of these wonderful poetic images of mythology are referring to something in you. When your mind is trapped by the image out there so that you never make the reference to yourself, you have misread the image.
    The inner world is the world of your requirements and your energies and your structure and your possibilities that meets the outer world. And the outer world is the field of your incarnation. That’s where you are.”

I am very interested in learning more about the spiritual connection X-fans have with their favorite characters. About the personal connection that you have with your favorite X-Man…the one I’d suggest is the closest to the one vested within yourself.

I’d also like to learn more about fan reactions to how spiritual mythology has been explored throughout the X-Books. Indigenous oral histories, classical mythologies, religious sagas, pagan pathways, occult, atheism, earthbound and spiritual science – all of this and more have been a large part of the X-books throughout the ages. Never diminishing any of these embodiments of the human experience – but allowing them an open field of interbeing – that like us, in the world, coexist more closely and dependently than we may ever know.

exXmen04.jpg
    xmen.jpg
    planet-earth-from-space-2.jpg
    This is my new favorite thread. Storm is the archetypal goddess turned mortal turned infinite. There is so much there there. She's one of the most spiritual awake people on the planet able to house eternity in her consciousness with no problems... Kurt is similar for me. Right now he lost his soul. I think that's deconstruction for no reason. Kurt is the heart of X-men. Storm is it's soul, Jean it's archetypal mother, Piotr its expression, Scott it's rigidness. I could keep going here.

o

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    This is my new favorite thread. Storm is the archetypal goddess turned mortal turned infinite. There is so much there there. She's one of the most spiritual awake people on the planet able to house eternity in her consciousness with no problems... Kurt is similar for me. Right now he lost his soul. I think that's deconstruction for no reason. Kurt is the heart of X-men. Storm is it's soul, Jean it's archetypal mother, Piotr its expression, Scott it's rigidness. I could keep going here. o
    Please do go one Omegastorm.
    Thank you for responding, for your endorsement and for the refreshing confident strength of your voice. I'm really happy to hear from one of Storm's ever-eloquent fans. It would be impossible to have this discussion without Ororo...the 'goddess turned mortal turned infinite' (a saga that I hope you may elaborate on - one that means a great deal to me and many) It's a journey that perhaps has personal connections with your own story - and if so, I'd love for you share about that connection.

My appreciation and affinity with Kurt is absolutely the inspiration for beginning this thread.

I agree...Kurt is a man of big heart - but big hearts are so often broken. I've often found in Kurt's story that hearts break in order to grow...in the mending they pulse stronger, wider and with greater resolve. (I'll share more on Kurt later and especially this wordless page)
    $_57.jpg

Storm's soul journey in LIFEDEATH is one of the most beautifully crafted vision quests in X-books. From her first encounter with Yukio as she begins her inward journey...to East Africa where without her powers she must breathe life into a child and offer good journey to a dying man - we witness a true awakening that vitalizes the true goddess within us all. We are water bodies...nothing more than the clouds...we rain down our tears, blood and sacrifice...we drum out a thundering of continuance reverberating within all life...resonating and returning through our common chord. And the lightning! The spark in the eyes...it never strikes twice in the same place...it has its moment and its purpose.

Ah, I must be careful...I get carried away, it's my hope that this thread is a place where that's the whole idea...a thread for everybody. No matter how brief or elaborate your posts...if you've looked in on this thread I hope you'll leave something to share.

Omegastorm - would you mind sharing more about how Ororo mirrors your own personal experience? Do you consider her to be the closest, most familiar and intimate of the X-Men to your own life experience? Thanks again for being the first to respond and setting such a magnificent tone.

lifedeath2.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 07-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Emma Frost is my favorite character.

At first I was interested in the character because of her role in breaking up the Scott Summers and Jean Grey couple that seemed to be around forever. The way Grant Morrison portrayed the former villain was very interesting, she was arrogant but also vulnerable to the desires of her heart.

As I've read over the years, and discovered recently while portraying Emma in a role playing game here, I discovered that my personality is very much like Emma. Except less arrogant, and possibly little bit more nice

So personal experience mixed with the characteristics of the character is why I feel a connection to Emma Grace Frost.

BANNED

Superheroes and thwor stories are in many ways the modern version of mythology (and in the case of the new Thor, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, literally so). Stories of special people with amazing deeds, often retold in many versions (I'm sure if there was an internet back then everybody would have raged about changing Heracles' name to Hercules).

Havok has always been the X-character I've identified with the most. I can relate to his feelings of doubt and lack of self-confidence in his abilities, but ultimately proving to be able to rise up to a challenge.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

From X-Men 108

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Emma Frost is my favorite character.

At first I was interested in the character because of her role in breaking up the Scott Summers and Jean Grey couple that seemed to be around forever. The way Grant Morrison portrayed the former villain was very interesting, she was arrogant but also vulnerable to the desires of her heart.

As I've read over the years, and discovered recently while portraying Emma in a role playing game here, I discovered that my personality is very much like Emma. Except less arrogant, and possibly little bit more nice

So personal experience mixed with the characteristics of the character is why I feel a connection to Emma Grace Frost.
    Thank you Rei. It's amazing how the first things that draw us to our personal heroes are subtle and sometimes what deepens our connection is the realization of how immediate the bond truly is. There's a mystery to it, some of the explanations for how we mirror and are mirrored by our favorite X-Men defies words.

I've never done any role playing but I can imagine that it could be a powerful means for actualizing the shared-spirit you have with Emma.

Thank you very much. Emma's not a character that easily understood, she's complex and posses a depth that is wholly her own. There are times when my heart reaches out to her - wishing she could let down her guard without fear, shame or guilt. Her ability to care for others despite what she's been through, her courage to love and trust, guide and protect and face down her demons...that's a true hero in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Superheroes and thwor stories are in many ways the modern version of mythology (and in the case of the new Thor, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, literally so). Stories of special people with amazing deeds, often retold in many versions (I'm sure if there was an internet back then everybody would have raged about changing Heracles' name to Hercules).
    Indeed IQ...Myth is something that never happens but is always true. And yet, with the X-Men - the godlike has been made so utterly human and tangibly immediate. The archetypes are no longer etched in stone and definite allegory. It's vibrant and lives within us...still becoming and yet...ever present.

Is there a particular X-Men myth or arc that you can trace as a 'retelling' that can be found either in your personal life or in the mythology of another place or time?

BANNED

Ororo's journey mirrors my own in a lot of ways. Even around my own people I felt different and was. Without getting into all the funny, and intense details I will say I know what it is to be praised for being more than the average person. I know what it feels like to feel blessed with things that folks elevate. I know what it feels like to know that you are connected to something deeper than yourself. I know what it means to buck other's expectations and go my own way. I know what it means to face the fear of finding oneself when everything has been taken away. I know what it is like to face persecution and to face being revered. I loved Storm because she was the first character in fiction that told my story. She was beautiful and wanted to be raised by a loving family. That didn't happen for her. I can relate. I saw her pain and heartache as a child when she survived her rapist. I could relate to that abuse as I was abused too. I could relate to embracing and running away from yourself because of finding something spiritual to run to.

I could relate to finding a deeper connection with myself in rebellion and then realizing there is a healthier option. So much of Storm's story is my own, so much of her character progression I know because I went through it too. I relate to her more than the others because I get it. I went through it and I survived it. For me Storm is a survivor, she's a life force that inspires living a full life. When I see her portrayed well that's what screams off the page to me. Kurt's story in some respects is similar, I guess that's why I like him too. Storm's irreverence to traditional structures, her love for an unconventional and unknown spiritual practice and awareness matches my experience perfectly. I love Storm because she doesn't suffer fools kindly but is smart enough (when written well) to know that she can be fool herself. I love her self awareness.

o

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Havok has always been the X-character I've identified with the most. I can relate to his feelings of doubt and lack of self-confidence in his abilities, but ultimately proving to be able to rise up to a challenge.

Yes, right on Pharozonk. For me the Alex that really resonates with the Havok you describe is the post-Inferno Outback era heart-torn, battle-scared, worn and vulnerable man. Such a beautiful testimony to the strength of the human heart. Alex is often left in the shadow of his brother or as a vehicle for plot development...but there is a fire in him that transcends all this and burns through with its own singular flare. I'm really happy you shared this. You've added to my understanding and appreciation of Alex. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    From X-Men 108

Thank you for posting this. No explanation required.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    Ororo's journey mirrors my own in a lot of ways. Even around my own people I felt different and was. Without getting into all the funny, and intense details I will say I know what it is to be praised for being more than the average person. I know what it feels like to feel blessed with things that folks elevate. I know what it feels like to know that you are connected to something deeper than yourself. I know what it means to buck other's expectations and go my own way. I know what it means to face the fear of finding oneself when everything has been taken away. I know what it is like to face persecution and to face being revered. I loved Storm because she was the first character in fiction that told my story. She was beautiful and wanted to be raised by a loving family. That didn't happen for her. I can relate. I saw her pain and heartache as a child when she survived her rapist. I could relate to that abuse as I was abused too. I could relate to embracing and running away from yourself because of finding something spiritual to run to.

I could relate to finding a deeper connection with myself in rebellion and then realizing there is a healthier option. So much of Storm's story is my own, so much of her character progression I know because I went through it too. I relate to her more than the others because I get it. I went through it and I survived it. For me Storm is a survivor, she's a life force that inspires living a full life. When I see her portrayed well that's what screams off the page to me. Kurt's story in some respects is similar, I guess that's why I like him too. Storm's irreverence to traditional structures, her love for an unconventional and unknown spiritual practice and awareness matches my experience perfectly. I love Storm because she doesn't suffer fools kindly but is smart enough (when written well) to know that she can be fool herself. I love her self awareness.

o

That gets right to the heart, my heart and the heart of the whole thing, all of it. This is such a beautiful post OS...you've really touched me with these words. It is a privilege to be offered such a brave and true gift as this, here...truly, thank you.

X-fans, you're an amazing group of humans - super - all new and all different...you're amazing, uncanny and astounding! You are the truth to the myth and the legends to behold
    Last edited by sungila; 07-08-2014 at 06:02 PM.

BANNED

o

Wow, this is a thought-provoking topic -- well done with that. It's interesting to find out what resonates so deeply and why with fans. I don't think I can narrow it down to just one, though. For me, the characters that hit most deeply are Nightcrawler and Magik. (No, I don't have a demon fixation -- really!)

With Magik, I relate a great deal with the symbolism from her story, and it parallels some of my experiences. When she was still an innocent, control of her life was taken over and she was victimized. She got out of the situation, but then she had to face well-meaning friends and family who couldn't understand that she was no longer the sweet and innocent "snowflake". She'd had to become something different to survive --- she could never be the unstained one again and I think her brother, especially, blamed her for it in a sense and couldn't fully accept the woman who stood in the little girl's place. For her part, Illyana had to learn to accept who she'd had to become and find the good that remained -- the core self. She's still doing that.

The other that resonates deeply with me is Nightcrawler (but that's also two iterations of the character).

Kurt Wagner is probably who I'd like to be like and who I try to recapture as the person I used to be. He understands what it is to feel different but he's okay in his own skin. He greets the harshness of the world with compassion and understanding and humor. Above all, he's not afraid to express love and show his heart, making the world a friendlier place because of it.

However, it's also Kurt Darkhölme that hits a very strong note. He's the darker side of Kurt Wagner. He decided that love wasn't always enough and understanding and compassion could only go so far before the self was given completely away and consumed by life. Sometimes you have to draw a hard line in the fight to preserve what's left. He's also one of the only comic characters shown to have battled depression as a major character aspect, though Marvel handled the resolution of that badly, imo. Darkhölme's redemption should've never come with death -- he was already suicidal. The character could have only been redeemed by learning to live again.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 07-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.