Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I tend to identify with both Cyclops and Iceman.. which is funny because they're two very different personalities. I was the quarterback of my high school football team and captain for both football and lacrosse teams, and then a captain again for my college lacrosse team. More often than not, I would rather exercise or train instead of going out drinking with a bunch of people. As I write this, I'm actually in my basement working out. For a lot of the reasons people may find Cyclops boring, are the reasons I identify with him. Always focused on the end goal.

On the other side of that coin, I have a very relaxed personality and am able to take things in stride, much like Iceman. On a personal level, we share a lot of similarities.. a family that expects a lot out of us (although my relationship with my parents and family as a whole is much healthier than Bobby's) and a social/dating life that isn't exactly ideal. Where Cyclops always got the girl, Iceman is friend zoned more often than not. Which breaks the "quarterback gets the star-cheerleader" stereotype for me.

Probably could have explained it better but those are really who I identify with most.. and I very much enjoy when they're on the same team or in the same book.. because when they interact it's like my personalities interacting with each other.
    Really I don't think you have explained any better than this cc008. Thank you for this thoughtful and sincere response. I can relate to how two seemingly opposite personalities can intertwine and find equal importance to you. For me it's in one character, Kurt Wagner and his alternate self Kurt Darkholme...flip sides of the same coin are often far closer to one another than the space between them. Like a circle followed all the way around with the two extremes side by side and nearly inseparable.

Iceman doesn't get nearly enough credit for being who he is; a resilient and fiercely loyal friend...but also, a guy who refuses to let his family...his X-Men lose hope. The 'dream' matters to Iceman and he embodies that in so many ways...he's got this huge powerset that for the most part never inflates his ego.

He's a great foil to Scott. I really appreciate the idea of you relating to these two as a combination of the singular identity of who you are. It's a pretty cool thing to be a Scott with a Bobby heart. That's a unique and rare combo.

And sometimes, Bobby is just so on point - he's got a gift for the seeing through the crap and calling out the obvious...with flare I might add. (Perhaps that's also a good trait for a Quarterback and something Scott misses being with him in a valued friend)
    01.15.13.06 - Questions.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 07-10-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Really I don't think you have explained any better than this cc008. Thank you for this thoughtful and sincere response. I can relate to how two seemingly opposite personalities can intertwine and find equal importance to you. For me it's in one character, Kurt Wagner and his alternate self Kurt Darkholme...flip sides of the same coin are often far closer to one another than the space between them. Like a circle followed all the way around with the two extremes side by side and nearly inseparable.

Iceman doesn't get nearly enough credit for being who he is; a resilient and fiercely loyal friend...but also, a guy who refuses to let his family...his X-Men lose hope. The 'dream' matters to Iceman and he embodies that in so many ways...he's got this huge powerset that for the most part never inflates his ego.

He's a great foil to Scott. I really appreciate the idea of you relating to these two as a combination of the singular identity of who you are. It's a pretty cool thing to be a Scott with a Bobby heart. That's a unique and rare combo.

And sometimes, Bobby is just so on point - he's got a gift for the seeing through the crap and calling out the obvious...with flare I might add. (Perhaps that's also a good trait for a Quarterback and something Scott misses being with him in a valued friend)
    01.15.13.06 - Questions.jpg
    Thanks for that response.. I'm glad I was able to contribute. What I bolded can't be said any better and it's by far my favorite character trait that Bobby possesses. His loyalty to his friends and family is what I love most about him.

Yes, right on Pharozonk. For me the Alex that really resonates with the Havok you describe is the post-Inferno Outback era heart-torn, battle-scared, worn and vulnerable man. Such a beautiful testimony to the strength of the human heart. Alex is often left in the shadow of his brother or as a vehicle for plot development...but there is a fire in him that transcends all this and burns through with its own singular flare. I'm really happy you shared this. You've added to my understanding and appreciation of Alex. Thank you.
    Yep. That's why Uncanny X-Men #219 is not only my favorite X-Men comic, but one of my favorite comics of all time. That's the moment I connected with the X-Men and became a fan of Havok for life.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

For me Jean Grey would be the X-Man that I connect to the most. With Jean, a large part of her narrative is the fear of potential. This is something I deal with alot, I worry about my place in life and what will happen if I reach my destination, or will I? It has been written that she will be the most powerful mutant and far surpass Prof. X and this scares her. The Phoenix overtaking her expresses an external force affecting and influencing her potential. For good and for bad it opens her inhibitions. Its like alcohol and how it effects the mind and body...this eventually leads to her death (or the Phoenix copy of Jean). Yet with her return, she comes back in full control and fully aware of herself and abilities, and this shows itself fully in the New X-Men run.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

I like how this has become a "Which character do you identify with and why?" Thread. It's nice to see why people choose the favorites they like
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    I like how this has become a "Which character do you identify with and why?" Thread. It's nice to see why people choose the favorites they like
    Perhaps you should share your story, Brightside!

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Perhaps you should share your story, Brightside!
    Nah *runs away to possibly start thread (10% chance) and finish Attack on Titan*
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    For me Jean Grey would be the X-Man that I connect to the most. With Jean, a large part of her narrative is the fear of potential. This is something I deal with alot, I worry about my place in life and what will happen if I reach my destination, or will I? It has been written that she will be the most powerful mutant and far surpass Prof. X and this scares her. The Phoenix overtaking her expresses an external force affecting and influencing her potential. For good and for bad it opens her inhibitions. Its like alcohol and how it effects the mind and body...this eventually leads to her death (or the Phoenix copy of Jean). Yet with her return, she comes back in full control and fully aware of herself and abilities, and this shows itself fully in the New X-Men run.
    Jean Grey's first death - it still chokes me up. Such a sacrifice and not something she could do simply because of 'mutant powers' but because who she is as a human. Such a powerful and resounding act of self-sacrifice that the celestial force of cosmic renwal and continuance not only took note but envied the enduring impact of her action so much that IT became her.

Thank you R.E.B. for sharing how Jean's narrative speaks to the story of your life. Her overwhelming task of enduring so much 'potential' surely is something that could either cast her far away from those who fear, envy or simply can't/won't relate to her - or drive others into obsessions to posses/control her in order to access that 'potential'. Be it Xavier, Scott, Logan, Sinister or the Phoenix Force itself - Jean's burdens are so great that I personally have never been able to fully appreciate them within myself.

Your post, by actualizing how Jean's struggle mirrors your own goes a long way in bringing it home for me.

IMO, Jean is already the 'potential' that she is promised to become. It's who she is. Despite the perpetuation of her 'duty' her 'destiny' and her 'curse' - she, now, like always, is choosing to take it all into her own hands and to (as you say) "return...come back in full control and fully aware of herself" Again!

She truly is a Marvel and thank you for making that all the more real.
    Last edited by sungila; 07-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Yea, I wasn't sure how this thread would be received but I couldn't be more pleased by the inspiring posts shared so far. It's incredible how 'tangible' these generous posts have made what could have become a cold philosophical rambling. I do hope, Brightside, that when the time is right you'll share your own connection to a character or anything along the lines of how the X-books power of storytelling has influenced, enriched or affected your life.

This thread has become a rare and beautiful heart-on-the-sleeve open-hearted discussion and I've been greatly inspired and happily encouraged by the fans who have so honestly contributed.
    Last edited by sungila; 07-10-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Yep. That's why Uncanny X-Men #219 is not only my favorite X-Men comic, but one of my favorite comics of all time. That's the moment I connected with the X-Men and became a fan of Havok for life.
    That really is an incredible issue Pharozonk...that whole run, thinking about it now still stirs the blood.
    I can understand how that issue and the events leading into it could break through the panels and tap directly into the spirit - truly amazing how the 'portals' 'mirrors' 'dreamtime' and overlaying mosaics all worked to wear down the barrier between those X-Men and the reader...every character was so raw...if ever there was a moment when Alex and you were going to make that bond...that was surely it.

Story breaks down the reader along with the hero...if that connection is real...the reader is right there in the place where he/she was once and maybe forever wounded...like blood brothers making a pact...in the healing the connection is permanent.

Thanks again for your post and helping me take a deeper look into Alex - to 'get' him in a way I never have before.

We've only got one option really - to be who we are... the loneliness of that becoming can be more than most us us are ever willing to endure...but Alex is a hero...just like all of us. It doesn't even matter if the hero follows our lead or we follow his...it's the same deal.
    UX219_Opening.jpg
    UX219_XFactor.jpg
    UX219_Magneto.jpg
    but it sure ain't easy to take that hand.
    Last edited by sungila; 07-11-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Thanks for that response.. I'm glad I was able to contribute. What I bolded can't be said any better and it's by far my favorite character trait that Bobby possesses. His loyalty to his friends and family is what I love most about him.

It was already said better by you, I was just responding to how your post helped me see deeper into Bobby's true nature...By explaining how he and Cyclops both incorporate themselves into your sense of who you are made me realize how strong Bobby's integrity truly is and all that he HAS that Scott doesn't (when it's easier to think of it the other way around)...and Bobby's humor...sometimes it's the guy who works the hardest to make others smile who truly 'feels' the deepest...(the kind of guy who leads from within the team - with his heart) I'd never really thought about Bobby like that before now. Thank you again cc008
    Last edited by sungila; 07-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Ever since ‘All-New and All-Defferent’ X-Men mythology has been fueled by the immediate saga of our human experience. One of the great gifts the books have offered is the opportunity to explore the truth seeded at the core of our episodic days. In both a personal and social sense, the X-Men books have sought to break down the borders that isolate the interwoven dynamic diversity of our spiritual existence.
    There is an X-hero for nearly everyone – a character that manifests an outward realization and vehicle for our most intimate selves. Often times it’s not so much the ‘super power’ as it is the ‘burden of that power’ that draws us to our hero. It is not so much the desire to see ourselves in god-like invulnerability – but to see our vulnerabilities realized and transformed through struggle – to unlock the chains of our unique inheritance…and become truly the hero to ourselves – and then to the world and one another – that we ‘know’ deep down.
    Modern day Mythologist Joseph Campbell writes in ‘Power of Myth”:
    “Shakespeare said that art is a mirror held up to nature. And that’s what it is. The nature is your nature, and all of these wonderful poetic images of mythology are referring to something in you. When your mind is trapped by the image out there so that you never make the reference to yourself, you have misread the image.
    The inner world is the world of your requirements and your energies and your structure and your possibilities that meets the outer world. And the outer world is the field of your incarnation. That’s where you are.”

I am very interested in learning more about the spiritual connection X-fans have with their favorite characters. About the personal connection that you have with your favorite X-Man…the one I’d suggest is the closest to the one vested within yourself.

I’d also like to learn more about fan reactions to how spiritual mythology has been explored throughout the X-Books. Indigenous oral histories, classical mythologies, religious sagas, pagan pathways, occult, atheism, earthbound and spiritual science – all of this and more have been a large part of the X-books throughout the ages. Never diminishing any of these embodiments of the human experience – but allowing them an open field of interbeing – that like us, in the world, coexist more closely and dependently than we may ever know.
    Ok first let me say that you are giving a mini-internet crush right now. If you were an artist I'd totally be one of your groupies :P:

You have such an eloquent way of expressing yourself, and this is such a thought provoking topic.

So many things to say about Storm that resonated with me. I think what connected me to her the most, at least at the beginning, was Storm's ability to persevere and overcome her struggles on sheer force of will, and that she possessed such a strong spirit. I liked that despite her tragic beginnings she was tempered by her losses in a way that allowed her to gracefully flourish in adversity, and made her bold, wise beyond her years, compassionate, noble, and selfless. For all her power and being headstrong and prideful, she is also recognized her weaknesses, and owns her flaws. I found these traits of her character invigorating, exciting, and inspiring to read when I first started reading X-Men, and it has stayed with me ever since.

I'll think more on the spiritual exploration in the X-books. Storm, Kurt, Jean, and Logan spring to mind.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Previously I posted about the character I feel personally connected to because our personalities and some real life events, Emma Frost.

Another character I feel a very personal connection to in different ways is Cyclops.

It may seem funny but my connection is that the guys I tend to end up with in relationships or dating, they seem to be very much like Scott Summers. Usually tall, somewhat awkward, not the coolest person or most popular, but serious, good at leading teams, and handsome. The way Scott is portrayed in X-Men, he seems so much like the men in my life.

So... sometimes when I post in the Cyclops thread I feel like I'm talking to a lot of versions of Scott Summers. Maybe it's the avatars of the Cyclops fans that give me the impression that they are all similar to him. When I started using an Emma Frost avatar (because I was roleplaying Emma Frost in the Traitor Game) it felt very weird but I've gotten used to it.

So... I guess I'm attracted a bit to Scott Summers, just like Emma Frost. I just wanted to share this even though it feels a little embarrassing to do so. But I feel secure enough that you can all laugh at me and I won't feel too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post
    Ok first let me say that you are giving a mini-internet crush right now. If you were an artist I'd totally be one of your groupies :P:

You have such an eloquent way of expressing yourself, and this is such a thought provoking topic.

So many things to say about Storm that resonated with me. I think what connected me to her the most, at least at the beginning, was Storm's ability to persevere and overcome her struggles on sheer force of will, and that she possessed such a strong spirit. I liked that despite her tragic beginnings she was tempered by her losses in a way that allowed her to gracefully flourish in adversity, and made her bold, wise beyond her years, compassionate, noble, and selfless. For all her power and being headstrong and prideful, she is also recognized her weaknesses, and owns her flaws. I found these traits of her character invigorating, exciting, and inspiring to read when I first started reading X-Men, and it has stayed with me ever since.

I'll think more on the spiritual exploration in the X-books. Storm, Kurt, Jean, and Logan spring to mind.
    There you are WINDRIDER. I was looking forward to hearing from you in this thread and here you are.
    It dawned on me how overwhelming it might be for some fans to put into words their connection to the character they feel most embodies themselves. Heck, it can be really scary to even come right out and say - yea, that's me! Our world can be really unforgiving and tends to poke fun at matters of spirit and heart - it's a backhanded defense mechanism maybe - that longs to be seen, known and recognized for being a unique and special person but at the same time dreads being the focus of scrutiny. So there's this odd envy and disgust that prompts a lot of hurting folks to attack anybody who steps forward without shields and stands, however they are able, and offers the gift of their singularity. It's THIS singularity that connects us...IMO, it's how we fit together, and by hiding or shaming that aspect of ourselves we deny our 'fit' we deny who we are as one and who we are as the infinite.

Reading your post is like reading the call that could inspire that courage (I can feel it swell in myself) - it's no mistake WINDRIDER that you and Storm mirror one another, you both have that ability to lead - through the courage of embracing your personal vulnerability, holding that fire and 'tempering' the 'flaws' into strength.

With so few lines you're able to convey the essence of who you are and you do this by revealing who Ororo is...no distinction or separation needed.

It's the sort of post that Ororo would write. The sort of personal monologue she would have with herself and even unspoken would serve to invigorate, excite and inspire.
    Thank you WINDRIDER. I look forward to reading more from you here. And thank you also for the kind compliment the feeling is genuinely mutual.

worldsapart3-3.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post

You and me both. I have a slight crush. Sungila is amazing. I love this guy.

o