Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    good thread
    Put in your two cents, then !

I like this thread, too.

This was a real engaging thread.. probably one of my favorites. Hope more people contribute now that it's been bumped.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

rise like the phoenix amazing thread !
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I am not typically drawn to X-Men, but Amanda Sefton is an exception. She is possibly the greatest wielder of the Soul Sword that the Marvel Universe has ever seen, and, for a brief time, she led her own team of X-Men.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I've been thinking lately about how Longshot's luck power could work, an issue that it's never really tackled (among other reasons, because Longshot himself is ignorant of it).

Two ways to deal with it come to my mind, both of them compatible despite it might seem otherwise:

1. I admit I know less than zero about this science, but keeping in mind that Longshot's skill is all about probabilities, couldn't it have something to do with quantum mechanics? I mean, he doesn't pull his fluke out of a hat, he simply (much like the Scarlet Witch) manages to make arise the minimum chance among all feasible. Magic doesn't create something from nothing --just we are not able to comprehend its functioning because we can't see it.

2. Hence, Longshot is basically a probability handler. However, he himself, carefree as he is, uses to live it as a mere matter of randomness: he just hopes things will be OK, and he's usually right. When he first fell to Earth and he realized he didn't even know his own name, his resolution was settle on the sidewalk like a beggar: 'Somebody must know. Someone will tell me. I'll just sit here and wait...'. He trusts his luck to fall from the sky, so depending on the situation he carries on, he springs or he simply waits, but he doesn't wittingly manipulate it --in no way he plans a course of action. I think only in his mini 'Longshot saves the MU', which is all about the notion of good/bad luck, he consciously and actively pushes it in order to get something, and that's interesting because then, paradoxically, his self-confidence falters, he loses heart.

Well, to the point. I wonder what if Longshot would start to cultivate his skill. The powers he manages should not be forced because they may turn against him, but he could learn to make them flow in a more harmonious and less whimsical way thanks to a serene drive. Longshot is already a basically spiritual character, quite 'zen' in his own way, who moves by unselfishness and simpleness. If he could get enough inner peace to turn inside himself and begin to understand himself, he probably could get a new amity with these nature forces which allowed him to handle them in a more aware, more effective and more harmless way. Because purification of the motive is the key.

Self-knowledge (here and now, past is not relevant) and training in disciplines which work simultaneously mental/spiritual/physical aspects could help. In fact, Longshot already performs (instinctively) practices such as walking meditation, since during the Outback era is hinted several times that he often goes for a stroll alone. Actually, he's the only X-Men who shows interest in aboriginal dreamtime trying to have his own 'dreamwalk'.

So, here's my bet for exploring a new mystic Longshot, just as a try out.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 06-13-2017 at 04:48 AM.

What a beautiful thread. Don't let it ever drown beneath our volumes of Fox vs. MCU pissing matches ever again.