Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Are you kidding? It's a joke as a book. It's so bad that readers even made their own comic with Riri as a villain.
    So? There are people out there that film themselves burning copies of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as well as flushing copies of Ms Marvel down the toilet while ranting about "repressive left" and "social marxism" and put it on youtube. Is such idiotic behavior indicative of the quality of the books they are railing against?

I'm not going to argue that quality equals sales but the sales Invincible Iron Man have not exactly collapsed while Riri Williams has been the protagonist. I'd say that's a better barometer to judge than what silly protests angry people are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    So? There are people out there that film themselves burning copies of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as well as flushing copies of Ms Marvel down the toilet while ranting about "repressive left" and "social marxism" and put it on youtube. Is such idiotic behavior indicative of the quality of the books they are railing against?

I'm not going to argue that quality equals sales but the sales Invincible Iron Man have not exactly collapsed while Riri Williams has been the protagonist. I'd say that's a better barometer to judge than what silly protests angry people are doing.
    Good point. I bought the first few issues, but lost interest, I don't think that's much as the character as how decompressed the stories are which make it very hard to justify the 3.99 price tag when the story moves by inches with every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    There is nothing spiteful about Riri's origin.

And please, don't cite the scene where Riri's teacher tells her she'll never be Tony Stark as "proof" of your claim. There's nothing spiteful about a child who wants to set an impossible goal for themselves and exceed conventional expectations.
    Sorry how is it not spiteful? Riri is the one Legacy character I dislike everyone else I like but her for many reasons I dislike one is her origin is very spiteful due to the teacher scene. Riri could had been inspired by Tony or other heroes like people were in the sixties by Astronauts but she wasn't she wanted to be a victim who could prove all them wrong. When that is a real origin or something that happens in real life it in itself is inspiring but she wasn't told that she was told you can be what you want because of people who came before you paved the way but instead again of being inspired by that she stood there until her teacher threw her a bone and she could now prove her wrong. It was very spiteful and quite frankly sad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    There is nothing spiteful about Riri's origin.

And please, don't cite the scene where Riri's teacher tells her she'll never be Tony Stark as "proof" of your claim. There's nothing spiteful about a child who wants to set an impossible goal for themselves and exceed conventional expectations.
    Yeah.

I think it's pretty normal for people to want to prove folks that put them down wrong.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post

Exactly.

Some people like a character, some don't. It's just the way of the world.

Heck, even some strong selling books (like the current Thor run) are being attacked by folks. Not everything is for everyone.

I find it funny that Riri is being pushed to be a villain as opposed to the arms dealer that's been an on and off villain for well over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah.

I think it's pretty normal for people to want to prove folks that put them down wrong.
    Except she wasn't put down by the teacher she was told she could achieve her goals. She literally stood there until the teacher gave her a pity insult so she could be "inspired".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Except she wasn't put down by the teacher she was told she could achieve her goals. She literally stood there until the teacher gave her a pity insult so she could be "inspired".
    Still, hardly the makings of an awful person, much less a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah.

"I'll show them, I'll show them ALL!" Is kind of the basic motivation of every Silver age villain ever created though. Most beloved fictional heroes tend to be altruistic in behavior, never craving recognition ("Wealth and fame, he's ignored, action is his reward"). Although I do enjoy narcissistic limelight seeking heroes when played for laughs. (Ie: your Duck Dodgers, and what have you.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Bite Your Head Off, Man Deathscythe's Avatar

Don't know if this is the place to ask, but have you cats heard anything about a connection between Ed Brubaker's Cap Reborn, Secret Empire, and Legacy? I read somewhere online (Bleeding Cool comments, maybe) that the "secret" to both SE and Legacy are in that story. I haven't read Reborn since it was released. All I remember is Cap seeing a vision of the future, something to do with Hydra.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    We are talking about Riri as a child. Not as a full grown adult

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Still, hardly the makings of an awful person, much less a villain.
    Exactly.

Particularly when we are talking about a rather young person.

It's a very odd discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    "I'll show them, I'll show them ALL!" Is kind of the basic motivation of every Silver age villain ever created though. Most beloved fictional heroes tend to be altruistic in behavior, never craving recognition ("Wealth and fame, he's ignored, action is his reward"). Although I do enjoy narcissistic limelight seeking heroes when played for laughs. (Ie: your Duck Dodgers, and what have you.)
    Pretty much true. Even when they don't start as altruistic, their origin is a process of transformation: Doc Strange went from a self-interested medic to a more compasive healer; Spider-man lost a relative for his own selfish action; Thor started as a god punished to live in human form to be humble. Maybe the new characters need to reach that transformative point which their powers are not like the newest phone app, but a burden.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    It remind me of back when the word boner mean mistake:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    It remind me of back when the word boner mean mistake:

Never mock Joker's boner.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin