Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Ok, I might have used the term false dichotomy wrong, but my point is that the big 2's event schedules aren't comparable.

And I specifically said line-wide events. For example, Forever Evil, Metal, Flashpoint, Original Sin, Infinity, Secret Wars, Civil War II, Secret Empire.
    Would Infinity count as a line-wide event? Obviously, no event has 100% participation, but I seem to recall it having a much more Avengers-focused participation, similar to Standoff.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You really don't get it, do you?

If you think Coates was hired solely because of his race and not because of his actual talent and accomplishments, that's a racist assumption. And just fu*king ignorant.

And way to comment on a writer that you don't even read, by the way.
    Well I conceded your point about Coates being a well-known writer beforehand and deserving of Black Panther. I literally said "Okay, that's fair" and "I don't have a problem with Coates getting Black Panther." I understand why he was hired. That doesn't change the fact that I'm against the principle of hiring someone specifically because of race.

"People don't need this many choices" According to who? You?

Who says that any single person has to collect the entire Marvel Universe? Or the entire DC universe for that matter.

Not every book is meant for every customer.
    I think a lot of people desire to know what's going on in the whole universe actually, and it would be much easier do accomplish without destroying your wallet, if there was just a few less books. Obviously not every book is for everyone, but you would think that every comic should at least be enjoyable by most people. I would argue that Moon Girl is a book that can appeal to many people, while mainly being a kid's book.

It should always be a controversial thing to say that women, minorities, and so on are only hired because of their gender, skin color or sexual orientation.
    Not all of them obviously, but definitely some of them. There are concrete examples of Marvel seeking out a writer specifically because of their skin color or sexual orientation. You might not think there's anything wrong with that, and honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal, but when patterns of behavior begin to emerge you have to question whether Marvel cares more about telling good stories or scoring political points with crybabies on the internet.

And yet it is. It's "easy to see" that you're a deeply prejudicial person based on your completely ignorant opinions on Marvel's hiring decisions.

That's all I have to say back to you on any of this. I know you don't think of yourself as a racist or misogynist or prejudiced but from your statements you very clearly are.
    And that's pretty easy for you, isn't it? Simply wash away any actual argument with a claim of racism and misogyny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Would Infinity count as a line-wide event? Obviously, no event has 100% participation, but I seem to recall it having a much more Avengers-focused participation, similar to Standoff.
    Yea, I just looked it up, and it's definitely just an Avengers event. That was a bad example.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Fantastic Member

Well I conceded your point about Coates being a well-known writer beforehand and deserving of Black Panther. I literally said "Okay, that's fair" and "I don't have a problem with Coates getting Black Panther." I understand why he was hired. That doesn't change the fact that I'm against the principle of hiring someone specifically because of race.

I think a lot of people desire to know what's going on in the whole universe actually, and it would be much easier do accomplish without destroying your wallet, if there was just a few less books. Obviously not every book is for everyone, but you would think that every comic should at least be enjoyable by most people. I would argue that Moon Girl is a book that can appeal to many people, while mainly being a kid's book.

Not all of them obviously, but definitely some of them. There are concrete examples of Marvel seeking out a writer specifically because of their skin color or sexual orientation. You might not think there's anything wrong with that, and honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal, but when patterns of behavior begin to emerge you have to question whether Marvel cares more about telling good stories or scoring political points with crybabies on the internet.

And that's pretty easy for you, isn't it? Simply wash away any actual argument with a claim of racism and misogyny.

Yea, I just looked it up, and it's definitely just an Avengers event. That was a bad example.
    I wonder why marvel doesn't do digital first, then a tpb for some titles. Either mini series or experimental books

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    I wonder why marvel doesn't do digital first, then a tpb for some titles. Either mini series or experimental books
    Yea, honestly, a lot of their titles would probably benefit from that. Moon Girl, Hellcat, Squirrel Girl, Occupy Avengers, Elektra, Mosaic, Monster Unleashed, America, and Wasp are all selling really badly, but their trades seem to be hanging in there, and they might be able to reach their audience a little better that way. Similarly, Nick Fury and Kingpin (which I've heard are actually pretty good) might be able to make a little more of an impact as trade/HC-only titles, rather than just being more window-dressing that'll get inevitably canceled within 6 issues.

EDIT: I also think that labeling some titles as mini-series' in the first place would work much better than what they're doing now. Not every comic has to be an ongoing.

But then that also makes me wonder why Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl haven't been canceled yet, when they've clearly gone past the usual cancellation numbers. Maybe they just do significantly better digitally or in trade?
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-09-2017 at 02:26 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

they did and occasionally still do digital first for some mini series. But none were big success.

Trade only titles have an impact, for a week. Then it is forgotten, buried under the 100 releases of the following week. The creative process is long and tends to have much more delays than the single issue model.
    The low selling title will at least have some form of presence during 6 months.

The trade only model is not going to save a title for Marvel or DC.

Squirrel "New York Times Best Seller" Girl do well in trade.
    Last edited by ian0delond; 08-09-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    Given how Generations Hulk turned out I think Generations is mostly some kinda "Fixing the gap" between the old & younger while also being a big jumping point for the next year worth of story.
    I think you meant Jumping off...

But then that also makes me wonder why Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl haven't been canceled yet, when they've clearly gone past the usual cancellation numbers. Maybe they just do significantly better digitally or in trade?
    Or maybe the cancelation level has changed since years past?

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Trade only titles have an impact, for a week. Then it is forgotten, buried under the 100 releases of the following week.
    I don't know. More than half of the comics I own are trade paperbacks that were originally published years ago but bought months ago.