Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    And Ben's unexpected millionaire status?
    Ben lost the money when he refused to do something during Civil War 1 and was heavily fined.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    whichever. I used the academician because of her turn as a teacher in Marvel Knights 4. I like the idea of her teaching and being an educated person. I don't need her to be a scientist. psychologist would be great. I'm not sure how it ties into her powers, though.
    I don't think any of us discussing Sue here are strongly disagreeing with the others. Generally, we'd like to see her more in line with a 21st century heroine as opposed to an early 1960's "girl". Whether she teaches or goes into the medical field is something we can discuss peacefully with everyone taking part in while learning from others. I like the idea of her getting an MD. She could certainly handle it. I'd be a little iffy about her having an MD on the initial flight given my feelings about Sue's sacrifice to raise Johnny. She could have been a PA or a med school dropout for the flight. But it's all a case of "I'd prefer..." for me here. I have my opinion and certainly should accept others even if they go so far as to actually differ from mine

Undo one more day, Spidey misses being called Tiger, I can see in his sad alone eyes.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't think any of us discussing Sue here are strongly disagreeing with the others. Generally, we'd like to see her more in line with a 21st century heroine as opposed to an early 1960's "girl". Whether she teaches or goes into the medical field is something we can discuss peacefully with everyone taking part in while learning from others. I like the idea of her getting an MD. She could certainly handle it. I'd be a little iffy about her having an MD on the initial flight given my feelings about Sue's sacrifice to raise Johnny. She could have been a PA or a med school dropout for the flight. But it's all a case of "I'd prefer..." for me here. I have my opinion and certainly should accept others even if they go so far as to actually differ from mine
    yeah, I'd rather see her working towards one. or earn some other kind of degree. I'm just want her to be intellectually formidable; not a science whiz but useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    MK4 actually had the FF in very intelligent and logical roles after they went broke. I really enjoyed pretty much that entire run, though I've forgotten some aspects of it. Whatever happened to her teaching gig? And Ben's unexpected millionaire status?
    that series was my inspiration for wanting to elevate her status. Alyssa pulled some strings to get her the private academy position. but I'm unclear how she took on that role without finishing school; herself. my sister certainly needed a degree to teach at a private school.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Guys, how does the number on the front of the comic affect the quality of the content within?
    It doesn't. But the excuse that high numbers scare away readers is ridiculous. And the fact is that relaunches are seen more as jumping off points, than jumping one points. I think it's always been that way, but it's becoming more pronounced now. I see returning to non-relaunched numbers as being a recognition of the past, and a realization that there are some things that annoy more people than they draw in. It doesn't change the content, but it makes you feel like you're part of something lasting, and not just a "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" type experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    It doesn't. But the excuse that high numbers scare away readers is ridiculous. And the fact is that relaunches are seen more as jumping off points, than jumping one points. I think it's always been that way, but it's becoming more pronounced now. I see returning to non-relaunched numbers as being a recognition of the past, and a realization that there are some things that annoy more people than they draw in. It doesn't change the content, but it makes you feel like you're part of something lasting, and not just a "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" type experiment.
    Did anyone really believe that the latest Amazing Spider-Man #1 was the actual first Spider-Man comic book? Marvel's repeating number ones are a way to get a seasonal approach often reflecting different creative team changes, but they're not considered true first issues by anyone with a passing knowledge of the character.

I'd like to see a moratorium on brand new characters who suddenly show up and treated as A-listers/important players when there are literally thousands of characters in limbo that nobody is doing anything with. We've seen what can be done with some of those older characters in the right hands; I'm positive none of the new characters are that different from a character that was created earlier and couldn't be dusted off and retooled to be made prominent/relevant/timely.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Did anyone really believe that the latest Amazing Spider-Man #1 was the actual first Spider-Man comic book? Marvel's repeating number ones are a way to get a seasonal approach often reflecting different creative team changes, but they're not considered true first issues by anyone with a passing knowledge of the character.
    Personally, I hate the seasonal approach. I guess it seems to me like they are trying to make comics more like TV instead of just embracing what they are... comics. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'd like to see a moratorium on brand new characters who suddenly show up and treated as A-listers/important players when there are literally thousands of characters in limbo that nobody is doing anything with. We've seen what can be done with some of those older characters in the right hands; I'm positive none of the new characters are that different from a character that was created earlier and couldn't be dusted off and retooled to be made prominent/relevant/timely.
    I've been thinking about that lately too. Take a look at what Walker is doing in Occupy Avengers. The latest issue had Wheels Wolinski. That is really scraping the bottom of the obscure barrel. I would rather writers look to existing characters that haven't been used in ages, instead of creating new characters to spotlight. Obviously, the occasional new character is OK, but not at the rate we've been seeing lately.

If we're talking obscure characters I'd like to see more of, my pick is Solarman.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

But....

My suggestions are more about improving the quality of the comics, IMO, and less about increasing sales. Because I really don't care how a book is selling, I just want to read good comics.
    Surely the numbering is a sales thing? lt has zero impact on the story. I don't care either way but it seems a strange thing for people to get hung up on to me.

Personally, I hate the seasonal approach. I guess it seems to me like they are trying to make comics more like TV instead of just embracing what they are... comics. Just my opinion.
    It also makes it a pain in the butt trying to buy back issues.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Surely the numbering is a sales thing? lt has zero impact on the story. I don't care either way but it seems a strange thing for people to get hung up on to me.
    I do care about the numbering and I prefer the original legacy numbering. Whether that means I'm "hung up" on it depends on definition of different terms. They are just comic books and having an opinion on an issue number, a Kryptonian's red shorts, or a mutant's mohawk hairstyle are all amazingly trivial points, but there are those that care one way or the other, as strange as others may find it.

I just was looking at Newsarama and I saw this article on variant covers and remembered that this is another thing I would change. I know there are people that like variant covers, but I don't see the purpose of them in any way. I would rather Marvel get rid of them completely and just concentrate on making the only cover is the best is can be. I really dislike the pin-up type covers, unless it's a first or anniversary issue. For the vast majority of issues they should be indicative of what is inside the comic. I'm not calling for a return to covers with word balloons and hype all over the place, but something that lets you know at a glance what is going on inside. Marvel has gotten much better than they were in the early 2000s with this, but pin-ups are still pretty regular.

I kind of like Sue Storm as of average intelligence, its the reason her relationship with Reed suffers because she has no idea what he is talking about and doesn't see things the "logical" way Reed does and why she worries about not being able to communicate with her young daughter Val.

Something I would like to see is new villains, we keep seeing new heroes or heroes being given old hero names but we don't get actual villains, heroes being turned into villains for one anti-climatic arc or old villains being jobbed out to young heroes.