Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default If Marvel killed off Mary Jane Watson forever

And made it clear they're never reversing it, how would that effect the line for you and Spider-Man in the future.

I would miss her but id move on because overall Peter matters most than his fictional life. Id just hope the character truly learns from it more than he learned from Gwen.

iMan 42s

If Marvel permanently killed off Mary Jane than it would effect the line probably for two years at least with Peter dealing with the fallout of her death. What would be a great idea if they actually did that would be to take the agency out of Peter's hands and have Mary Jane die of something that really could happen to anybody. No supervillains, no sinister plots, just something that could happen to anybody because it forces Peter to face a villain he can't punch. Peter facing death similarly to how he did it with Aunt May back in the Clone Saga where it ultimately just happens and it's really nobody's fault.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

They'll never do it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'd be hugely pissed off, to put it mildly. Initially at least I'd probably boycott the Spidey books, though after a while I'd probably come back in though I know I'd be complaining about it for years and years afterwards if this scenario ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I'd be hugely pissed off, to put it mildly. Initially at least I'd probably boycott the Spidey books, though after a while I'd probably come back in though I know I'd be complaining about it for years and years afterwards if this scenario ever happened.
    Pretty much the same for me as well.

Incredible Member

They already tried that when she "died" in that plane explosion back in 1999. But at this point she may as well be dead. The 180 she did on Peter after Goblin Nation doesn't seem justified.

Mary Jane has been dead for a while. This is the woman who agreed to the deal with Mephisto, not Peter. But everyone still complains about OMD like Peter made the deal. Honestly, with how MJ has been written for the last decade, they may as well kill her already and make her the equal of Gwen Stacy and just get it over with. As long as MJ is alive, people will want OMD retconned. I love the MJ character, but just kill her and lets move on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I would be the same thing. Especially if the death is heartbreaking and believable enough to make anyone cry.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    If Marvel permanently killed off Mary Jane than it would effect the line probably for two years at least with Peter dealing with the fallout of her death. What would be a great idea if they actually did that would be to take the agency out of Peter's hands and have Mary Jane die of something that really could happen to anybody. No supervillains, no sinister plots, just something that could happen to anybody because it forces Peter to face a villain he can't punch. Peter facing death similarly to how he did it with Aunt May back in the Clone Saga where it ultimately just happens and it's really nobody's fault.
    Beat me to it! Although they wouldn't have a problem making clones of her if they killed her.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Mary Jane has been dead for a while. This is the woman who agreed to the deal with Mephisto, not Peter. But everyone still complains about OMD like Peter made the deal.
    Er, he inadvertently guilt tripped her by hanging the "I'll never be the same again if Aunt May died when I had a way to save her" spectre over her head. Especially at a moment when she was at her wit's end (having nightmares, physically ill, driven by paranoia and dealing with her own shock, stress and grief over May's condition).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    And made it clear they're never reversing it, how would that effect the line for you and Spider-Man in the future.
    That implies caring about post-OMD Spider-Man. Which I don't.

They could kill off her, Post-OMD Peter, Post-OMD Aunt May, anyone, at this point and I wouldn't give a toss. That's how badly damaged these characters are now.

So long as I have RYV or the newspaper comics or something else with a Peter and MJ I recognize and appreciate, I'll be fine, but I personally do not consider 616 the end-all/be-all of anything anymore.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-05-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

If I still get Renew Your Vows, the Newspaper, and get to see her in other alternate stories, I don't care. I don't even care about post-OMD Peter unless this stuff is reversed.

If they did kill her off, the only thing to do would be to start a betting pool for how long until they bring her back.

On a more practical level, it would I would have nothing further to do with 616 Spider-Man or anything else that was affected by it. If it turned out to be a franchise-wide ban, then I would have to quit cold turkey and become a DC fan. (Although, as the above poster noted, since 616 is Spider-Man in name only now, I think my ire over such a decision would've been more of a matter of principle than anything practical; I mean, at this point, I think the only viable option for 616 is a complete from scratch reboot.)

I don't think it would go over very well.

BANNED

I doubt they would try it again anytime soon (though I wouldn't put it past the current PTB).

Readers are too savvy for this stuff, and they've abused the crap out of high-profile deaths for the last decade. It's numbing to most, I would think.

Even when MJ was seemingly blown up in the plane explosion, Bryne drew in the panel of the door being knocked off the plane, as an "escape hatch" for the story of sorts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That implies caring about post-OMD Spider-Man. Which I don't.

They could kill off her, Post-OMD Peter, Post-OMD Aunt May, anyone, at this point and I wouldn't give a toss. That's how badly damaged these characters are now.

So long as I have RYV or the newspaper comics or something else with a Peter and MJ I recognize and appreciate, I'll be fine, but I personally do not consider 616 the end-all/be-all of anything anymore.
    They die too, its an all chain death of mjs and like the house of m, they all stay dead.