Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

It would depend on how they did it ...

They have a nasty habit of showing little respect to the dead.

In one way it would free Pter to be the version they want - which isn't the charector that's been created and we know. It would have to be something unrelated to spidey - as they done pretty much everything but kill her with fire because of The Spiderman connection.

No Spiderman connections , no bridge flashback equivalents, no secret Europe Lazarus pits and fuck me ... No clones.

How I'd react? I'd hate it. I'd feel like any thread I had left to the books was gone... She's one of my favs...

I think what would suck the most - is I know they lack the editorial chops and long term vision to make a female charector half as compelling these days. We'd get some derivative version and chastised for giving a shit. can only imagine how many super mega crossover fake outs they'd rollout.

Mysogeny ... Again depends how. They already kidnapped her, stole her baby from her womb, etc. so it's not like they are standing on solid ground to begin with. If relapsed Tony Stack kills her while drunk driving, she gets hit in a cross walk by an uber driver filling paying to much attention to their Spotify playlist .. It's not the same as if she gets a cancerous symbonite or some d list villan shoots her randomly with a sniper rifle ...
    Last edited by Vixx; 04-25-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Fantastic Member

Delete , I suck

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I like to add something.

Right now the two choices is death or living.

I want to add a possible third: maim

What if Marvel maims MJ forever.

She a very beautiful woman who has in the comics used her beauty in such forms as modeling and acting plus her beauty is well established. What if she got a huge scar across her face from some massive battle or villain.
    Loss of a: leg, arm, her sight, ect.

Let's face it. The 616 is a warzone at all times with super battles and damages happening all the time. Luck and intelligence helps survive but living for a long time without any healing abilities in the 616 is a gamble. Getting hurt badly isn't a longshot.

She will live but her life could be altered and the effects from that long term for her and others. Death isn't the only tragedy that can happen as a end result of a battle/consequence.
    This could be interesting.

However ...If there is one thing they have proven, sometimes just by how badly they misread how a story can be perceived ... is they lack the skill, at all levels, to pull off an Oracle type transformation of a major female toon in this book.

It would be like watching my grandparents twerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    This could be interesting.

However ...If there is one thing they have proven, sometimes just by how badly they misread how a story can be perceived ... is they lack the skill, at all levels, to pull off an Oracle type transformation of a major female toon in this book.

It would be like watching my grandparents twerk.

It's not really 'Marvel' or 'DC' or any of that. People in Marvel and DC and other comic industries come and go so if a 'company' is weak presently in some function in time that weakness could be changed as the companies gain strength or weakness per people inside. But I do believe everybody is trying their best to make things work in the short and hopefully long run. In the end It's the writers (plus how they might pitch their ideas to the heads for the OK and marketing to interest readers).
    It's all on the writers, artists, and editors working together and in sync to have multiple fantastic tales to work within the history and characters of the 616 (and Multiverse) and full canon. It has to be a writer(s) who sets up and makes a big payoff at the end plus all the results and tales afterwards has to be great.
    I think it can be pull off a similar 'Oracle type transformation'. But that really depends on many factors such as the biggest one the writer who sets up everything and makes that story and all the tales afterward and even when he/she leaves the books other writers able to carry the touch and make quality works expanding and such. We have great tales and tales we didn't like. Writers try their best and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Alot of people currently love Nick Spencer's current Secret Empire #0 which has caused some stir in the comics and on news sites and hopefully the rest of the issues will be spectacular and continue to have a impact in good ways. Writers come and go but for each new writer great things could happen or not.

The question of "Now What?" always has to come into play. Like the marriage is restored (and it's done well). But then NOTHING happens with MJ due to the writers having nothing to give her to do. Having one good/well done aspect isn't enough but writers need multiple quality stuff and ideas/arks each flowing well into each other. Like one of the Gwen Clone FINALLY LIVES past some clone arc and stays part of the cast and the writers doesn't treat her like some story tool but a developing well made character into her own right with multiple great storylines that she can pull off and hit better than other character already existing in the cast. If that happened fan could have a character they love and storylines they love then it all would be spectacular but multiple well made tales has to be the factor. Quality must always be king plus good ideas, and follow thru.

Thus a writer for any character or arcs that can make an impact of some kind has to have: The right proper setup for the impact, well executed and memorable 'impact', the 'impact' goes beyond the story arc it comes from*(see below), potential and great ideas afterwards involving these characters that made an impact or was impacted.

Thus a talent writer with a fantastic idea with other writers able to work with and continue quality from/ or one writer with ideas after the successfully impact of 'MJ maim' moment and each one uses her to top quality. If it moment isn't setup, can't be done well and presented,and no ideas afterward for MJ then don't bother trying then.

*(like a clone of Gwen's that forms her own personality by experiences and that lives and for once doesn't have my eyes rolling after the tale is done but instead having a character that has potential and likeable and a CHARACTER or anther factor I don't want is if MJ gets maimed then I don't want her to suddernly get magically healed up by the story's end and then nobody says anything about it afterwards being a waste. Side note: I don't dislike clones as Laura Kingsley and Ultimate Gwen Stacy was fantastic and amoung my top favorites and was treat AS A CHARACTER vs as a story tool, has constant character devopments, psychological impacts for them and others, also is important to other characters, and lives to see a couple of differnt story arcs that they can be apart of beyond one arc which alot of times other clone Spider tales don't do which to me is a huge achilles heel and disrespectful within those tales or be CONSTANTLY reminded that she is 'a clone' aka 'fake' aka doesn't matter so no problems killing them despite ALL LIFE matters and sentience also.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    It's not really 'Marvel' or 'DC' or any of that. People in Marvel and DC and other comic industries come and go so if a 'company' is weak presently in some function in time that weakness could be changed as the companies gain strength or weakness per people inside. But I do believe everybody is trying their best to make things work in the short and hopefully long run. In the end It's the writers (plus how they might pitch their ideas to the heads for the OK and marketing to interest readers).
    It's all on the writers, artists, and editors working together and in sync to have multiple fantastic tales to work within the history and characters of the 616 (and Multiverse) and full canon. It has to be a writer(s) who sets up and makes a big payoff at the end plus all the results and tales afterwards has to be great.
    I think it can be pull off a similar 'Oracle type transformation'. But that really depends on many factors such as the biggest one the writer who sets up everything and makes that story and all the tales afterward and even when he/she leaves the books other writers able to carry the touch and make quality works expanding and such. We have great tales and tales we didn't like. Writers try their best and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Alot of people currently love Nick Spencer's current Secret Empire #0 which has caused some stir in the comics and on news sites and hopefully the rest of the issues will be spectacular and continue to have a impact in good ways. Writers come and go but for each new writer great things could happen or not.

The question of "Now What?" always has to come into play. Like the marriage is restored (and it's done well). But then NOTHING happens with MJ due to the writers having nothing to give her to do. Having one good/well done aspect isn't enough but writers need multiple quality stuff and ideas/arks each flowing well into each other. Like one of the Gwen Clone FINALLY LIVES past some clone arc and stays part of the cast and the writers doesn't treat her like some story tool but a developing well made character into her own right with multiple great storylines that she can pull off and hit better than other character already existing in the cast. If that happened fan could have a character they love and storylines they love then it all would be spectacular but multiple well made tales has to be the factor. Quality must always be king plus good ideas, and follow thru.

Thus a writer for any character or arcs that can make an impact of some kind has to have: The right proper setup for the impact, well executed and memorable 'impact', the 'impact' goes beyond the story arc it comes from*(see below), potential and great ideas afterwards involving these characters that made an impact or was impacted.

Thus a talent writer with a fantastic idea with other writers able to work with and continue quality from/ or one writer with ideas after the successfully impact of 'MJ maim' moment and each one uses her to top quality. If it moment isn't setup, can't be done well and presented,and no ideas afterward for MJ then don't bother trying then.

*(like a clone of Gwen's that forms her own personality by experiences and that lives and for once doesn't have my eyes rolling after the tale is done but instead having a character that has potential and likeable and a CHARACTER or anther factor I don't want is if MJ gets maimed then I don't want her to suddernly get magically healed up by the story's end and then nobody says anything about it afterwards being a waste. Side note: I don't dislike clones as Laura Kingsley and Ultimate Gwen Stacy was fantastic and amoung my top favorites and was treat AS A CHARACTER vs as a story tool, has constant character devopments, psychological impacts for them and others, also is important to other characters, and lives to see a couple of differnt story arcs that they can be apart of beyond one arc which alot of times other clone Spider tales don't do which to me is a huge achilles heel and disrespectful within those tales or be CONSTANTLY reminded that she is 'a clone' aka 'fake' aka doesn't matter so no problems killing them despite ALL LIFE matters and sentience also.
    It takes a lot of discipline, trust and just being in sync at every level to pull something like this off sucessfully - including knowing what you want to do with it

I think they have the talent to write it - but they'd likely mess it up unintentially, either by over editing, dropping it too soon, caving to pressure, setting the wrong tone, doing something offensive on accident, not being fully committed, etc.

It takes organizational discipline looking at a different set of metrics - they have the heart, and they have the talent; but that's not enough.

In short - the writers are very capable - but it would take an alignment too to bottom to stick with it that I don't see. I think they'd struggle to do this type of story with a major woman character, that they'd need to write for often.

What makes Oracle my example - is we all know the team on that book was exemplary and it's a classic; but that's some dark shit that was edited well ... But after the one shot was done; With a female toon that struggled on the page, that found a voice and became an imputation to disabled people, PTSD sufferers, etc over time. DC did that very well ( could be complete blind luck) and aside from years later ... It was about restraint as much as anything else.

Most of my criticism of marvel isn't aimed at the creative talent; they are great talent ...my guess is they get a bit handcuffed by the machine; starting in editorial .. Which prevents us from getting the best at times

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    And made it clear they're never reversing it, how would that effect the line for you and Spider-Man in the future.

I would miss her but id move on because overall Peter matters most than his fictional life. Id just hope the character truly learns from it more than he learned from Gwen.
    It wouldn't affect me. I would still read the stories. She hasn't been around in any significant role in almost a decade. I really enjoyed the JMS run, but i've also enjoyed BND up until now. He's out doing super hero things. He doesn't have to have a relationship to be interesting. Not for me anyway.

BANNED

I beg slott and editorial to kill mj. Just so the spidey fandom can move on from the past.

I beg slott and editorial to kill mj. Just so the spidey fandom can move on from the past.
    That's not how the Force works.

BANNED

MJ is the mother of his child and therefore continues to inform a future that matters (and possibly the future of the franchise as a whole if he time comes for RYV to have a crossover with the mainline canon)

Killing MJ did'nt work in 1999, and it's lasting legacy was a trial separation arc that simply served to strengthen their relationship.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.

I can't wait for Marvel to kill off Peter Parker forever so we can move on from the past and have Miles Morales embrace his destiny as the Ultimate Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I can't wait for Marvel to kill off Peter Parker forever so we can move on from the past and have Miles Morales embrace his destiny as the Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Been there, done that, didn't work w/ an AU Spidey, can't see how it'd work with the 616 one.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Been there, done that, didn't work w/ an AU Spidey, can't see how it'd work with the 616 one.
    (This post is far too serious for my tongue-in-cheek response.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    (This post is far too serious for my tongue-in-cheek response.)
    Hey, I like tongue-in-cheek.

BANNED

MJ will probably be used less if female characters like Gwen Stacy spiderwoman and black cat take much of the spotlight in other titles.

Incredible Member

Killing off Spider Man's iconic world renown and definitive love interest and baby mama, that's the worst thing they could to Spider Man after OMD. Do you know the definition of insanity? That is the worst idea ever.

Next time make a poll to see how people vote against this.

They already tried that with that crappy plane crash and it led to massive backlash. I'd be royally pissed off and curse Marvel for all time.