Default New member here.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forums. I'm currently watching Iron Fist on Netflix and despite poor reviews I actually like the show. Maybe that's because I didn't know the comics already etc.. lol

I'm new to all this Comic Books stuff. Starting to find it interesting and this weekend I went to a Comic Book store for the first time and bought my 2 first comics.

I wanted to know if you have any tips, advice, definitions of acronyms used etc..

I bought these two:

- Wolverine vs The Punisher (TPB?) It's a collection of issues where they both appear and fight. I really like Wolverine so I thought this was cool.
    - Iron Fist #1 (2017, new series)

And my gf bought this one, and I'm reading it:

- Deadpool Classic (4 mini stories with 4 issues each)

I think I'm gonna buy all the new Iron Fist issues and I'm also thinking about buying the collection of Immortal Iron Fist #1-16 and maybe a couples of issues from Superman Rebirth (2016-present). I found at least two sites that says the new Superman series is great and is one of the great series of 2016.

Thanks for your help

Alex

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbones View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forums. I'm currently watching Iron Fist on Netflix and despite poor reviews I actually like the show. Maybe that's because I didn't know the comics already etc.. lol

I'm new to all this Comic Books stuff. Starting to find it interesting and this weekend I went to a Comic Book store for the first time and bought my 2 first comics.

I wanted to know if you have any tips, advice, definitions of acronyms used etc..

I bought these two:

- Wolverine vs The Punisher (TPB?) It's a collection of issues where they both appear and fight. I really like Wolverine so I thought this was cool.
    - Iron Fist #1 (2017, new series)

And my gf bought this one, and I'm reading it:

- Deadpool Classic (4 mini stories with 4 issues each)

I think I'm gonna buy all the new Iron Fist issues and I'm also thinking about buying the collection of Immortal Iron Fist #1-16 and maybe a couples of issues from Superman Rebirth (2016-present). I found at least two sites that says the new Superman series is great and is one of the great series of 2016.

Thanks for your help

Alex
    Hi Alex. I think you might want to check out Marvel Unlimited because I think they're having another promotion this month. Watch for the changing advertising banner at the top of CBR. They've been offering a month's free subscription quite a bit lately.

Marvel Unlimited usually runs for $9.95 for just a single month or you can go for the entire year subscription which comes with a prize package. I get a new one every year. Nothing real big...some free comics, or an action figure, some Marvel pins for your jacket . Click this link and scroll to the bottom to see the most recent prize package for new members who sign up for year: Marvel Unlimited Section

New comics move over to Marvel Unlimited 6 months after their release. But at Marvel Unlimited you can go all the way back the start of Silver Age on Marvel. Or even Golden Age stuff (1930's and 40's). Fantastic Four #1 is usually considered the start of the Silver Age.

But since you are interested in Iron Fist you might like to try the Hero for Hire series from the 1980s on Marvel Unlimited.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-05-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Hey there, welcome to CBR!

Don't forget to grab the three trades of Walker's Power Man & Iron Fist.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hi Alex. I think you might want to check out Marvel Unlimited because I think they're having another promotion this month. Watch for the changing advertising banner at the top of CBR. They've been offering a month's free subscription quite a bit lately.

Marvel Unlimited usually runs for $9.95 for just a single month or you can go for the entire year subscription which comes with a prize package. I get a new one every year. Nothing real big...some free comics, or an action figure, some Marvel pins for your jacket . Click this link and scroll to the bottom to see the most recent prize package for new members who sign up for year: Marvel Unlimited Section

New comics move over to Marvel Unlimited 6 months after their release. But at Marvel Unlimited you can go all the way back the start of Silver Age on Marvel. Or even Golden Age stuff (1930's and 40's). Fantastic Four #1 is usually considered the start of the Silver Age.

But since you are interested in Iron Fist you might like to try the Hero for Hire series from the 1980s on Marvel Unlimited.
    Thanks for the info/advice!! I will check it out. Though, I have more of an collector mind . I collect cd's, DVD's, hockey cards.... I like to have the things in hand etc.. But the Marvel Unlimited could be great to read stuff you can't find anymore or are too pricy to buy etc..

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Hey there, welcome to CBR!
    Thanks a lot

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Don't forget to grab the three trades of Walker's Power Man & Iron Fist.
    Thanks i'll check that out

I have a question for you. In terms of future values, should I get every single issues of series or only buy TPB? From what I have seen on ComicBookRealm, the long-term values of single issues are more than TPB. Maybe you can clear that out for me?

Thanks!

Alex

Honestly, comics as a means of investment is essentially dead. The only truly valuable issues tend to be over 30 years old; granted, some more recent issues may be popular to speculators if their property is seen as generating heat due to a movie coming out.

If your purely interested in comics for the stories I would suggest getting trades for a while before jumping in to the single issues.

It's a cheaper entry point and a good way to see if you like certain writers styles. The other benefit is having a complete story in your hands rather than waiting for something that may have lack luster payoff.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Hey Alex, welcome to CBR!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Welcome to CBR Alex (same name as me )

Firstly, I really wouldn't associate comic-book collecting with making a long term investment. Those days are long gone. The only truly valuable comics are now decades old, and that's only because they are very rare. When thousands of other people have boxes full of the same items that you have then they really aren't going to accrue in value as time passes. The speculation era of comic-book collecting has gone now and, frankly, good riddance to it.

As you're a collector then I'd suggest a combination of single issues and trade-waiting. Many fans do that, including me. It all depends on what your budget is.

Rebirth Superman certainly has been a lot of fun but I'd throw a warning out there that the book has recently focused on the character being split into two, so to speak. I don't wanna spoil anything in case you decide to take the plunge. You may initially wonder what's going on there but you'd soon get used to it. For me, this recent development for Superman has been fun and really well executed.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all the advices! I know that I shouldn't think about investment, and honestly it's not what i'm trying to do. It's just that I have a collector mind if you know what I mean. I like to collect stuff (dvd's/blu-rays, cd's, hockey cards), and now I'm looking more and more at comics books and I really like it!

I went to my local comic book shop this week and here's what I bought. Please let me know what you think.

Superman Rebirth TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Batman Rebirth TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Iron Fist #2 (2017)
    X-Men Gold #1 (2017)
    The Dregs #1 (2017)
    The Punisher TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Star Wars Rogue One Adaptation #1 (2017)

I really like Iron Fist! The only thing I know about this guy is what I saw in the Netflix series. The new Comics Series have great reviews so far and I like it! Can't wait for the rest. The Dregs is really good! Took a guess on this one, saw the amazing reviews and decided to try it and I really like it. Will buy future issues! I'm at #3 of Batman Rebirth and really liking it so far too. X-Men Gold is good too but I think i'll need a couple of issues before really jumping into it.

That's about it. I'm a huge fan of Terminator and saw that there was a series called ''Terminator Judgment Day'' that had 3 issues. I'll try to find them and buy it. That would be very nice to have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbones View Post
    Thanks for all the advices! I know that I shouldn't think about investment, and honestly it's not what i'm trying to do. It's just that I have a collector mind if you know what I mean. I like to collect stuff (dvd's/blu-rays, cd's, hockey cards), and now I'm looking more and more at comics books and I really like it!

I went to my local comic book shop this week and here's what I bought. Please let me know what you think.

Superman Rebirth TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Batman Rebirth TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Iron Fist #2 (2017)
    X-Men Gold #1 (2017)
    The Dregs #1 (2017)
    The Punisher TPB Vol. 1 (2016-present) (#1 to 6)
    Star Wars Rogue One Adaptation #1 (2017)

I really like Iron Fist! The only thing I know about this guy is what I saw in the Netflix series. The new Comics Series have great reviews so far and I like it! Can't wait for the rest. The Dregs is really good! Took a guess on this one, saw the amazing reviews and decided to try it and I really like it. Will buy future issues! I'm at #3 of Batman Rebirth and really liking it so far too. X-Men Gold is good too but I think i'll need a couple of issues before really jumping into it.

That's about it. I'm a huge fan of Terminator and saw that there was a series called ''Terminator Judgment Day'' that had 3 issues. I'll try to find them and buy it. That would be very nice to have.
    If you a terminator fan there are plenty of comics to look at. Personally I always kind of enjoyed Robocop Versus Terminator. Despite having its share of flaws it fun enough series.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Welcome to CBR Alex!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor