Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default All Time Favorite Run, Story Arc or Event?

So what are some of your all time favorite runs, arcs or events? Collected or uncollected and any company? I'm looking to grab some new reading material and I'm looking for some recommendations, and just to see what some all time favorites are. I'd rather get "your" all time favs and not some lists all times favs.

BANNED

My personal favorites

Uncanny X Men
    -the Proteus story arc
    -issues 172, 173 and 174
    -issues 244 and 245. Girls out shopping while the next issue the guys are out in outer space and drunk and fighting goofy weird aliens

Superman
    the John Byrne 6 issue reboot
    the beginning of the ongoing Superman comic by John Byrne. I just bought issue from the comic shop. Nice cover art of Metallo while Superman is on the ground
    -Crisis at Hand two parter. Spousal abuse story
    -Bizarro story arc sometime later on after Return of Superman
    -the whole thing with Parasite while Superman got big and deformed from absorbing too much of the sun's rays yada yada
    -Fall of Metropolis

Batman
    -Shaman origin story from the Legends of the Dark Knight comic book series
    -Penguin Affair

Zero Hour I think its severely underrated.

Empty is thy hand!

I don't expect a lot of agreement or amens for my personal faves, but that's nothing new.

The run between Identity Crisis through Infinite Crisis is still one of my absolute favorites. It was plotted well in advance, and the attention to detail shows. Every corner of the DC Universe was touched on in a meaningful way, and there were so many good comics to come out of it.

Avengers Forever is fantastic, and the quasi-sequel Maximum Security is an underrated gem. The Kang Dynasty also deserves more love.

Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth are the high points of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run, and I've enjoyed them several times since they were released.

Grant Morrison's Batman is a tough nut to crack, but it's extremely satisfying once you do. Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive had a super compelling premise and some really exciting issues/developments.

Astro City: Confession, Earth X and its sequels, Garth Ennis Punisher, X-Statix, John Byrne's Generations 1 and 2, DC One Million, JLA: Tower of Babel and Rock of Ages, Multiversity and Dan Slott She-Hulk, just to name a few! That just scratches the surface; if I got into books other than mainstream superheroes (like Star Wars or Transformers), then we'd be here all day!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    So what are some of your all time favorite runs, arcs or events? Collected or uncollected and any company? I'm looking to grab some new reading material and I'm looking for some recommendations, and just to see what some all time favorites are. I'd rather get "your" all time favs and not some lists all times favs.
    My hands-down favourite run is J.M. DeMatteis' "Captain America" run. That was awesome!

My favourite arc would be "Death of the Red Skull." I highly recommend it.

I don't expect this to pop up from anyone else, but Howard Chaykin's first 12 issues of American Flagg were incredible. They were an jump in art style, futurist philosophies and storytelling structure. IMO, those issues should be up in ANY top 10 list of comics in general.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Off the top of my head:

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson
    Daredevil Born Again by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli
    Daredevil Man Without Fear by Frank Miller & John Romita Junior
    Daredevil by Brian Bendis & Alex Maleev
    Silver Surfer by Stan Lee & John Buscema
    Captain Britain by Jamie Delano, Alan Moore, Alan Davis & Paul Neary
    Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont, Dave Cockrum & John Byrne
    Wolverine Origin by Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, Paul Jenkins & Andy Kubert
    Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
    Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee & John Romita Snr
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern
    Captain America by Ed Brubaker
    Marvels by Kurt Busiek & Alex Ross

DC New Frontier by Darwin Cooke
    Superman For All Seasons by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Batman Year One by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson
    Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli
    Batman The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Justice League by Geoff Johns

John Wagner & Alan Grant on Strontium Dog the original run was for about a decade with same writers and artist.

Alan Grant Batman was a great nice long run, same with Grant Morrison's just great long running Batman run.

Block Mania/Apocalypse War/Days of Chaos by John Wagner. A stand out in long term effects of a world and things coming back around 30 years later. Started a long time ago with the war and Dredd having to do something horrible to stop the war. Then 30 years in both real world and Dreddverse as his world moves in real time. For revenge a biological weapon is unleashed killing almost a million people in revenge for the 500 million killed.

I re-read very few comics(there are always good ones I haven't read that I'm buying). So, I'll suggest a few that may be a little farther from the beaten path but I really enjoyed.

Avengers(Kree-Skrull War) - by Roy Thomas.
    Published by Marvel in 1 tpb. Really sets the stage for future Cosmic Marvel and made me want to learn more about "classic" super-heroics

Criminal- by Ed Brubaker Published by DC/Icon beginning in 2007. My personal favorite is volume 1, available in 2 tpb.

Darth Vader- by Kieron Gillen Published by Marvel 2015-2017. Just wrapped up with issue 25(to relaunch). Just plain fun Star Wars comics.

Green Hornet - by Mark Waid. Published by Dynamite in 2 tpb(2013 and 2014). Good noir feel.

Lone Ranger - by Brett Matthews Published by Dynamite starting in 2007. First 2-3 tpb are best. Starts to meander a little thereafter but amongst the best Western comics I've read. First few issues really draw you in

Silver Surfer- by Stan Lee Published by Marvel in the late 1960s. Short lived series. To me, Stan the Man at his Best.

The Thing - by Dan Slott. Published by Marvel, a short-lived series(8 issues, all collected in 1 tpb from 2006). Just a fun, light series

Wednesday Comics by various Published by DC in 2009 with multiple short stories(as if told in a newspaper strip). Oversize hardcover is just beautiful
    Last edited by etrumble; 04-06-2017 at 06:47 AM.