View Poll Results: When will Superman's trunks return?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • At the conclusion of the summer event, "Metal"

0 0%
  • Action Comics #1000

22 32.84%
  • The 100th anniversary

3 4.48%
  • Never

42 62.69%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When Clark and Lois go to the beach.
    Best. Answer. Ever.

In all seriousness though, this poll is just regarding main continuity, yes? That's the basis of which I voted never. Because outside of canon, I'm sure we'll see other projects where artists are free to put him back in trunks if they so desire. So they will be in published materials. Just not canon materials.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If the whole reason they got rid of them was the lawsuit, I don't see them coming back. This strikes me as being less of an aesthetic decision and more of a business decision.
    It is in a sense, but not because of a lawsuit. I don't believe the lawsuits ever had anything to do with getting rid of the trunks. I'm pretty sure by the time they got rid of them with the New 52, the lawsuits were all over and done with anyway. My belief is when it happened in 2011, it was largely Didio's call. Why they're still gone, now that's the business decision from on high with WB, but not based on lawsuits, rather "people think underwear on the outside is lame, so they'll think Superman is lame if he wears them." And that matters to WB right know because they're trying to make more money off him with the DCEU. I know lots of people have a problem with that mindset but I have no doubt that's the mindset. So maybe, MAYBE, when the DCEU is done and WB doesn't care about comic films anymore, there will be a chance. But comic book movies aren't going away any time soon. Hence why I feel there's no chance in the near future and no chance for Action #1000. We're looking at anywhere from 5-10 years if not longer before its a remote possibility, depending on how much longer the comic book movie craze, and DC's attempts to get in on it, last.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The next time a Superman movie creator decides to go "retro" and put the trunks back on the big guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Eradicator View Post
    I don't want to hear anymore of this idiotic nonsense that the trunks are no longer hip or that they're not "progressive" enough for a new millenium. What a bunch of bullshit. It's amazing to see just how much this politically correct hipster millennial virus has infected all facets of our society.
    No one, and I do mean no one, want to do away with the trunks because of "political correctness". "Political correctness" has nothing to do with people liking the trunks or not.

I know the term has become so broad that it doesn't really mean anything anymore, but this might be the most absurd use of the term I have ever come across.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think he has to merge with Pre-Crisis Superman to get the trunks back.

Kryptonian Fascist The Eradicator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    No one, and I do mean no one, want to do away with the trunks because of "political correctness". "Political correctness" has nothing to do with people liking the trunks or not.

I know the term has become so broad that it doesn't really mean anything anymore, but this might be the most absurd use of the term I have ever come across.
    You misunderstood what I've tried to say (and I too might not have been clear enough). What I meant was that this push to get rid of the trunks because "it's not cool, people think Superman looks lame, Superman needs to be more up to date and hip, trunks is so last millenium" is part of a wider mindset that has taken hold of contemporary popular culture (and society at large). Political correctness is just a symptom of that same wider mindset, with all of its specifics attached. I did not mean to say that political correctness in and of itself is what caused the change in Superman's costume. Sorry for the misconception.

Another thing that I find lacking in the "no trunks" argument is this idea that Superman needs to be updated dramatically for a new generation. Personally, even though I grew up reading the Post-Crisis Superman during the triangle years, I not only have an affection for that iteration of the character but I also LOVE the pre-Crisis Superman and his mythology. Whether it was the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Bronze Age, or even the Post-Crisis version, I could still point out and say, "That's Superman!" A specific core of the character was, IMO, sustained in all of those versions.

I cannot say the same for the new 52 Superman, or Snyder's Superman. They're simply NOT Superman, and they never will be. MOS's version is missing that "it" factor. The new 52 Superman was missing that "it" factor. Even Superman Returns, despite all of its problems and the nonsense with the deadbeat dad angle, still had a sliver of that "it" factor (and that could very well be due to the classic theme and Routh himself (although he wasn't given much to work with)).

Bringing in Superman from the pre-Flashpoint universe was a step in the right direction, and the next correct step I think would be to throw the entire New 52 universe and the Snyderverse where they belong: into the garbage bin.

Will the trunks one day return? Oh yes they damn well will. My personal hope is that they return in Action Comics # 1000, but I think its more likely when and if Didio gets the boot and the shitty DCEU completely collapses (which is what I expect will happen after the release of JL).
    Even if JL were to tank, the DCEU wouldn't collapse. It'd just be re-worked. No way WB will give up on the idea completely though. As long as comic book movies are popular, WB is going to keep trying. And that's even assuming JL will tank, which it won't. It might disappoint in regards to what it SHOULD make, like BvS did, but also like BvS it will still qualify as a blockbuster money-maker and warrant continuing. And they have plans in the cooker till 2020, and probably beyond. So we're looking at at least 3-5 years before even the chance of them being done, and likely even not then. Way past the debut date for Action #1000. There'd have to be shakeups of massive proportions for it to be even remotely possible to make that mark. Which aren't likely to occur. Action #1000 will likely feature trunks on various variant covers though. That's about all the play they'll get though unless the actual book features any tales set in various past Superman eras.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

It's hard to guess what costume designers will do. I think they must have some autonomy, because it's a profession with a lot of ego. I think that's why we get such variation in costume design from one movie to the next.

When Cavill Superman comes back to life, they'll look for a way to signal the change and that will likely be shown in a new costume design. It doesn't seem likely--and I'm bad at predicting changes in costume design--however, I wouldn't rule out some kind of pelvic decoration as a bold statement for Superman's rebirth.

Meanwhile, I hope that TV's Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) returns to SUPERGIRL and he arrives with some tweaks to his costume design. The clearest way to show that their Man of Tomorrow is the friendly Christopher Reeve/Dean Cain type is to give him trunks.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Even if JL were to tank, the DCEU wouldn't collapse. It'd just be re-worked. No way WB will give up on the idea completely though. As long as comic book movies are popular, WB is going to keep trying. And that's even assuming JL will tank, which it won't. It might disappoint in regards to what it SHOULD make, like BvS did, but also like BvS it will still qualify as a blockbuster money-maker and warrant continuing. And they have plans in the cooker till 2020, and probably beyond. So we're looking at at least 3-5 years before even the chance of them being done, and likely even not then. Way past the debut date for Action #1000. There'd have to be shakeups of massive proportions for it to be even remotely possible to make that mark. Which aren't likely to occur. Action #1000 will likely feature trunks on various variant covers though. That's about all the play they'll get though unless the actual book features any tales set in various past Superman eras.
    I think WB is "all in" with their new movie universe. If JL tanks, they will just go back to the drawing board for the next movie. But I don't think we're getting a hard reboot anytime soon. And even if we did, I still think the trunks would be out because I still think the lawsuit is the biggest factor in why they got rid of them. That, more than anything else, is why I think they aren't coming back. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have their movie universe planned out for the next decade at least. That seems to be the pattern with these things. Marvel has theirs mapped out for at least a decade. Regardless of what happens in the comics, I don't see them retroactively going back in five years and just deciding to give movie Superman trunks.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm gonna vote never. It would make no sense at this point. Everyone is happy with the current design, and if we are at the point of Jurgens, literally the only person who would argue for them back, still not getting his way as well as after 2 different redesigns with a easy way to get the trunks back..I just don't see it happening.

I think maybe we'll get a Easter egg or backup with the red trunks in AC 1000 just to get some peoples nostalgia, but it really makes no sense for Superman to suddenly start wearing the trunks. Especially if he isn't going to be remembering his post crisis life after reborn.

If they were removed because of the lawsuits, we wouldn't be seeing them in any comics, yet they appeared in smallville season 11 comics as well as serveral issues of that digital adventures of superman series.
    I'm far from "happy" with the current design; do I not count among "everyone?" I think you're making quite the gross generalization. The Reborn suit is still an incomplete look, as any non-iconic suit will be. There are many others who feel as I do.

What lawsuit? I'm pretty sure that DC owns the trademark on Superman images. I don't know which lawsuit you're referring to, but all the legal battles have been over copyright, which is different from trademark. Even if Siegel and Shuster had won copyright, they would still have had a problem with National/DC owing the trademark. Likely some kind of Katzenjammer Kids/Captain and the Kids problem would have arisen.

DC hasn't withdrawn all that merchandise that still uses images from the trunks era, so they must still have a trademark interest in retaining that identifying symbol.

Besides which, it's not just Superman who has lost his trunks. It's most characters at DC and Marvel. So the underlying reason for this cosmetic change probably goes deeper than just issues with Superman's creative image.
    All the more reason that the FIRST and GREATEST superhero should be the only one to wear them. They're then unique to him as Batman's ears and cowl and Spidey's eyes are to them. Just because the trunks have been removed from other uniforms does not mean Superman should lose them. His look, even in its evolving form, was the prototype for a brand-new genre. I'd like to see him retain that look for exactly that reason, and because they can look great when drawn well.

Will the trunks one day return? Oh yes they damn well will. My personal hope is that they return in Action Comics # 1000, but I think its more likely when and if Didio gets the boot and the shitty DCEU completely collapses (which is what I expect will happen after the release of JL).

I don't want to hear anymore of this idiotic nonsense that the trunks are no longer hip or that they're not "progressive" enough for a new millenium. What a bunch of bullshit. It's amazing to see just how much this politically correct hipster millennial virus has infected all facets of our society.

Superman's look is iconic. He's more or less has had the exact same look for the overwhelming majority of his existence. You don't fix what ain't broken. His costume is not something you change. Simple as that. The fact that he's had three costume changes in the last 5 years speaks volumes - DON'T MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL! It's not a coincidence that the costume that happens to be the closest to the classic look is the one that people are most happy with right now.

But still, when we look at his current costume, I bet that all of us know deep down inside that something is still missing. If you wanna get metaphysical, it's like the classic costume is slowly but surely trying to make its way back into existence from Plato's realm of the Forms.

And if some wankers over at DC or WB don't like it, and they still don't think Superman is hip enough - well, as far as I'm concerned, they're all just a bunch of parasites, and they can all collectively kiss my cold Kryptonian ass.
    All I can say is, well...wow. It's awesome to see I'm not the only one who A) loathes the Snyderverse and B) isn't afraid to say so, especially here.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think WB is "all in" with their new movie universe. If JL tanks, they will just go back to the drawing board for the next movie. But I don't think we're getting a hard reboot anytime soon. And even if we did, I still think the trunks would be out because I still think the lawsuit is the biggest factor in why they got rid of them. That, more than anything else, is why I think they aren't coming back. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have their movie universe planned out for the next decade at least. That seems to be the pattern with these things. Marvel has theirs mapped out for at least a decade. Regardless of what happens in the comics, I don't see them retroactively going back in five years and just deciding to give movie Superman trunks.
    I don't think they're as "all in" as you might imagine. WW and JL will make or break the Snyderverse. That's why The Batfleck has been delayed and why, per Variety a few weeks back, WB is scrambling to fill the gap with another movie after Aquaman. That's assuming that movie makes it to production if the first two underperform.

WB's had some executive changes recently, and when those top-level positions change, anything's possible.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I'm far from "happy" with the current design; do I not count among "everyone?" I think you're making quite the gross generalization. The Reborn suit is still an incomplete look, as any non-iconic suit will be. There are many others who feel as I do.
    I meant happy without being a fan who will only be happy if it's the trunks costume.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

They will surely come back at some point, but it's pointless to sit around and wonder when as long as Didio still sits in the chair. They would have returned years ago had it not been for Didio's edict.

Will they come back for Action 1000? As long as Didio still sits in the publishers chair, I'm leaning no.

I mean Superman being married and now having a kid? That's way more polarizing then the trunks for chrissake. The fact is the overwhelming number of non comic readers don't even know what the new 52 is or how it tried to change Supes look. Most everyday people still think of Superman wearing trunks.

It would be cool to redo the poll but including the options By the end of the Decade or Post-Didio.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Best. Answer. Ever.

In all seriousness though, this poll is just regarding main continuity, yes? That's the basis of which I voted never. Because outside of canon, I'm sure we'll see other projects where artists are free to put him back in trunks if they so desire. So they will be in published materials. Just not canon materials.

It is in a sense, but not because of a lawsuit. I don't believe the lawsuits ever had anything to do with getting rid of the trunks. I'm pretty sure by the time they got rid of them with the New 52, the lawsuits were all over and done with anyway. My belief is when it happened in 2011, it was largely Didio's call. Why they're still gone, now that's the business decision from on high with WB, but not based on lawsuits, rather "people think underwear on the outside is lame, so they'll think Superman is lame if he wears them." And that matters to WB right know because they're trying to make more money off him with the DCEU. I know lots of people have a problem with that mindset but I have no doubt that's the mindset. So maybe, MAYBE, when the DCEU is done and WB doesn't care about comic films anymore, there will be a chance. But comic book movies aren't going away any time soon. Hence why I feel there's no chance in the near future and no chance for Action #1000. We're looking at anywhere from 5-10 years if not longer before its a remote possibility, depending on how much longer the comic book movie craze, and DC's attempts to get in on it, last.
    Agreed - I don't think the lawsuits were really a factor with the New52's trunks removal. They may have added some pressure to a suit change, but that'd be about it, if even that.

I also agree with your reasoning for why they DID do it - and my biggest gripe with their usual talk of "updating" and "perceived popularity changes" with removing the trunks is that it's often hypocritical. The Batman: Arkham games never had a "sales problem" or jokes about "Batman's Black-Blue Armored Panties" - and even now it's inconsistent. I just saw DC-branded candy suckers and chocolate bars with featuring (separately): the New52 Wonder Woman and New 52 Superman.. but classic 90's blue/grey Batman, trunks and all. All of these products have the same year stamp on them, and all from the same manufacturer.

Having said that, I like the Reborn costume and the DCEU costume (though i'd like to make changes), and did like the Rebirth costume. Nothing touches the classic, but these aren't bad (Reborn being my favorite of the rest so far). While I doubt it'll happen, it would be nice if the classic suit still has a past place in current continuity, if only because that costume (generally speaking) is part of the reason they have a all these super-hero comics' series to sell in the first place.

Even if JL were to tank, the DCEU wouldn't collapse. It'd just be re-worked. No way WB will give up on the idea completely though. As long as comic book movies are popular, WB is going to keep trying. And that's even assuming JL will tank, which it won't. It might disappoint in regards to what it SHOULD make, like BvS did, but also like BvS it will still qualify as a blockbuster money-maker and warrant continuing. And they have plans in the cooker till 2020, and probably beyond. So we're looking at at least 3-5 years before even the chance of them being done, and likely even not then.
    Yeah, JL will have to be twice as bad as BvS to tank hard - and even then it wouldn't, if only because it's "the first time they're all on screen together". It's after JL that they'll have to be much more careful - no more "firsts" for their security blanket. The "best" fans (like me) who haven't enjoyed the movies can hope for is that Snyder and Goyer have enough of a "bad taste in their mouths" to stay gone after JL, and the Johns and whomever else comes in wants to do (in essence though not practice) with the DCEU what DC seems to be doing with their comics. Which would honestly be the best of all worlds, as this cast has an AMAZING DC Universe in them. They just need a chance to show it under a guiding hand that has (imo, of course) a better understanding of it (and one that doesn't want to respect but NOT rip-off DC's past movies or what Marvel's been doing). It's a fine line, but I still feel it can be done, even within the current framework.

All the more reason that the FIRST and GREATEST superhero should be the only one to wear them. They're then unique to him as Batman's ears and cowl and Spidey's eyes are to them. Just because the trunks have been removed from other uniforms does not mean Superman should lose them. His look, even in its evolving form, was the prototype for a brand-new genre. I'd like to see him retain that look for exactly that reason, and because they can look great when drawn well.
    As much as I do like the Reborn costume, I've often thought this as well. If I were DC, I'd even make references to it; have a character make fun of it, and another say something like "when the man comes in to save your bacon... you really gonna care what he's wearin'?"

All I can say is, well...wow. It's awesome to see I'm not the only one who A) loathes the Snyderverse and B) isn't afraid to say so, especially here.
    Oh, you're not alone. I dislike the movies on both a Superman-fan level and just for movies in general. I do make a point to mention what I do like (the cast, certain moments) to stress that these are reasoned opinions and not just blind hating - but you're certainly not alone.

I don't think they're as "all in" as you might imagine. WW and JL will make or break the Snyderverse. That's why The Batfleck has been delayed and why, per Variety a few weeks back, WB is scrambling to fill the gap with another movie after Aquaman. That's assuming that movie makes it to production if the first two underperform. WB's had some executive changes recently, and when those top-level positions change, anything's possible.
    While it's true that anything's possible, the one thing I see that will keep them invested in this DCEU in some fashion is the idea of cycles. Eventually, the market will be flooded and returns will diminish. That may be awhile yet, but it will happen. So they may feel that this is their best, and in some ways only, shot to make bank before it's much harder to do so. That's the "conventional wisdom" at least, and WB has (overall, anyway) a history of following that - barring the random veer-off.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

It's hard to guess what costume designers will do. I think they must have some autonomy, because it's a profession with a lot of ego. I think that's why we get such variation in costume design from one movie to the next.
    your right, and hollywood egotism sure doesn't help things when trying to adapt superheros for the big screen, it's not my preferred medium for Superhero tales.We've reached the point now where cosplay costumes are better than what hollywood can design lol. Personally I would like to see Warner just let the whole thing cool off for awhile, all the bad takes on Superman the last decade have really left a sour taste in my mouth.

When Cavill Superman comes back to life, they'll look for a way to signal the change and that will likely be shown in a new costume design. It doesn't seem likely--and I'm bad at predicting changes in costume design--however, I wouldn't rule out some kind of pelvic decoration as a bold statement for Superman's rebirth.

Meanwhile, I hope that TV's Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) returns to SUPERGIRL and he arrives with some tweaks to his costume design. The clearest way to show that their Man of Tomorrow is the friendly Christopher Reeve/Dean Cain type is to give him trunks.
    The Snyderverse is basically a lost cause, its way too far gone to bother trying to rebrand, it is what it is. As for Supergirl I really liked the initial showing for Superman on the show but Hoechlin is way too short to be Supes and his costume is by far the worst live action Superman costume ever. It's all the more puzzling because they got supergirls costume and portrayal spot on. Lawsuit? Didio/Warner edict?

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Well.... "Never" seems too absolute.... The Trunks will always be with us.... DC/Warner can't purge every image of the Trunks from reprints, old cartoons (Just keep watching Justice League Unlimited) and most trademarked imagery. It's just that for all intents and purposes he "never had trunks" moving forward. That is until the next reboot, or general feeling Superman has "strayed from his roots" or a blast of retro hipsterism takes root. Probably the more "forbidden" the Trunks become, the more likely someone will have the urge to bring them back. Let's just wait for the post-Didio , post-Snyder era to find out.
    Yep, no real opportunity for change with Didio still there. And the Dcu will remain creativly stifled until the Snyderverse bombs, which is hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Never say never ... except here, I'm saying never.

Since 2011, every time they have had a new non-direct adaptation project featuring Superman in other media, the trunks have left out. DCEU movies, CW tv shows, Cartoon Network JLAction, all of them have at least one thing in common: no trunks.
    They also have one other thing in common, a very important thing....Dan Didio was publisher at DC. There wasn't any "opportunity" for them to bring them back when the same people were there making the decisions as before.

Superman's look is iconic. He's more or less has had the exact same look for the overwhelming majority of his existence. You don't fix what ain't broken. His costume is not something you change. Simple as that. The fact that he's had three costume changes in the last 5 years speaks volumes - DON'T MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL! It's not a coincidence that the costume that happens to be the closest to the classic look is the one that people are most happy with right now.

But still, when we look at his current costume, I bet that all of us know deep down inside that something is still missing. If you wanna get metaphysical, it's like the classic costume is slowly but surely trying to make its way back into existence from Plato's realm of the Forms.

And if some wankers over at DC or WB don't like it, and they still don't think Superman is hip enough - well, as far as I'm concerned, they're all just a bunch of parasites, and they can all collectively kiss my cold Kryptonian ass.
    Damn straight lol. A very articulated first post my man.

And the Dc heroes are linked to there looks more closely than Marvel. Kypton, Lois Lane, rocket to earth, yada yada. Dc does not have the ever evolving soap opera element like Marvel. The mythology and looks of the characters are key.

Reborn suit still sucks, if anything it's just more of a variant to his uniform rather than a different suit. My attitude towards it is just indifference.

Of course I agree with you as always Atomic Man, it's no different than if Axel Alonso started a war on Spideys armpit webs or somthing...it doesn't matter...they will always comeback...be it next year, 5-10 years from now whatever, these characters are bigger than one man and these elements will surely return. But your right all these things like wearing a cape and costume under a suit, keeping a double identity etc. are paramount to what makes a superhero different than your average anime/manga character and the trunks are a part of that.

Me too. Synderverse sucks. It doesn't do anything to explore these characters further and the excitement of seeing them on the silver screen isn't there if WB is just gonna butcher the mythos.

I don't think they're as "all in" as you might imagine. WW and JL will make or break the Snyderverse. That's why The Batfleck has been delayed and why, per Variety a few weeks back, WB is scrambling to fill the gap with another movie after Aquaman. That's assuming that movie makes it to production if the first two underperform.

WB's had some executive changes recently, and when those top-level positions change, anything's possible.
    Yeah I agree, I don't think WB is nearly as committed to the Synderverse as it may seem, they have to be at the moment, but I think that's a pretty fleeting commitment, especially if JL underperforms. Sometimes people on here can get way overboard with the movies. As it stands, I really doubt WB makes any more DCEU movies if JL underperforms. There is an excellent chance that the Cyborg movie or the Aquaman movie will never happen. I mean Beauty and the Beast is likely to make more than JL. These properties aren't as lucritive as they were 5-6 years ago.

I would not be surprised if AC #1000 was like the WW 75th anniversary special, featuring various artists and writers with either very loose continuity or lots of different variations and takes on the character. If it is like this, at least one story will probobly have trunks even if the continuity is vague.