Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Actually Lee's Concepts were on point. The Justice League was supposed to look Uniform, All of the costumes had a similar look. Remember Justice League was the Flagship Book. It was supposed to be a more Cohesive Universe not the little Splinter kingdoms it had started out as. They've since gone back to the splinter kingdoms model.
    It seems especially odd to me that Batman's suit was almost identical. It never bothered me as much with the older style costumes because it was literally just fabric with trunks. The boots, belt, cape, gloves and emblem being different were enough. However, with more detail added, the similarity struck me as bizarre unless Batman had his own Kryptonian or reverse engineered Kryptonian suit. Which I can accept from an experienced Batman but not so much one early in his career. That said, I like the Zero Year update of the Golden Age Batman costume and I like Superman's "Bruce Springsteen" suit. Something about a cape plus t-shirt has extra charm for me and it would have been great to see that scene from Superman For All Seasons where he says his mom made the costume, with that outfit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    thought it was Gleason?
    My recollection from Wondercon is that it was Gleason.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Actually Lee's Concepts were on point. The Justice League was supposed to look Uniform, All of the costumes had a similar look. Remember Justice League was the Flagship Book. It was supposed to be a more Cohesive Universe not the little Splinter kingdoms it had started out as. They've since gone back to the splinter kingdoms model.

Was this a variant cover?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    It seems especially odd to me that Batman's suit was almost identical. It never bothered me as much with the older style costumes because it was literally just fabric with trunks. The boots, belt, cape, gloves and emblem being different were enough. However, with more detail added, the similarity struck me as bizarre unless Batman had his own Kryptonian or reverse engineered Kryptonian suit. Which I can accept from an experienced Batman but not so much one early in his career. That said, I like the Zero Year update of the Golden Age Batman costume and I like Superman's "Bruce Springsteen" suit. Something about a cape plus t-shirt has extra charm for me and it would have been great to see that scene from Superman For All Seasons where he says his mom made the costume, with that outfit.
    Never thought of it that way, but you're right.

The suits should not in ANY way look like they came off an assembly line. Like the people who wear them, they have VERY different origins.

Superman's suit is made from Kryptonian fabrics. Batman's suit is made (by Alfred?) from Nomex, kevlar and other such protective and tactical material. Wonder Woman's suit is Amazonian armor. Green Lantern's suit is generated by willpower (apparently). Flash's suit is either handmade or generated by the Speed Force. And so on...

All of the suits have their own unique origins. Something the art should respect.

Not sure if anyone else is thinking this, but the "digital" being talking to Metallo has to be pre-Flashpoint Hank Henshaw. Since the New 52 is now essentially erased/rewritten, there's no reason the real Cyborg Superman doesn't still exist. He's approaching Metallo because he's putting together a new Revenge Squad, and probably also needs some help getting a new body. That would also explain the Kryptonian code.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR123 View Post
    Was this a variant cover?
    This is fan art, a tribute to Jim Lee's X-Men #1 gatefold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, that was kind of the problem. The JLA is supposed to represent the different corners of the DCU. Making them all look the same makes the DCU seem small, instead of the diverse and vibrant universe filled with thousands of characters that its supposed to be.

This...

is nothing compared to THIS...

It was one of MANY problems with Jim Lee's atrocious "designs" and the New 52 approach in general. If they were all supposed to look "uniform," how exactly does that work? Batman was the first superhero, so his suit influenced the others? Even though Superman's was Kryptonian? Even though Wonder Woman's is Amazonian, Aquaman's is Atlantean, and Hal's is Oan? It makes zero sense.

The current looks are a vast improvement, though Batman's suit still has a way to go (hate that belt and the purple cape lining) and, of course, Superman's uniform is incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Lol, still the best selling comic of all time. Oh 90s.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Lol, still the best selling comic of all time. Oh 90s.
    Amazingly enough. The story and art was great, but things fell apart when Claremont left.

that's not Jim Lee's art? Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    that's not Jim Lee's art? Whoa!
    I know! I think it's actually better. The artist is Jeremy Roberts, check out his DeviantArt page.

He's responsible for one of my favorite Superman pieces of the last few years:

superman_in_flight_by_jprart.jpg

Amazing Member

But isnt that Lee's signature under Superman left arm? I can't fully zoom, does it say something above that?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDR123 View Post
    But isnt that Lee's signature under Superman left arm? I can't fully zoom, does it say something above that?
    It says "JPR after Jim Lee"
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-11-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It says "JPR after Jim Lee"
    Yes, that is what I was wondering. Thanks.