Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I remember this happened during the original Crisis as well. Characters had memories of how things originally were for a little bit (remember the final issues of COIE take place technically on the Post-Crisis universe, after the big cosmic retcon), but after that they started to fade.
    Yeah, the basic idea is the same. Though I think with COIE, everyone who was present at the Dawn of Time remembered how things originally were, and everyone who wasn't present remembered only the history of the 'merged earth'. EXCEPT...that the timeline of the 'merged earth' was itself reset 'behind the scenes' by the time the Post-COIE book actually began.

For instance, in the last chapters of COIE, the characters present at the Dawn of Time tell others about the Multiverse. Eventually however the timeline reset such that not only did they all loose their memories, but those conversations/encounters simply didn't happen.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    That is GORGEOUS! Yep, that suit definitely rocks. Classic with trunks will always be undisputed #1 but this is a great redesign. They finally found the way to make a trunkless suit work IMO.

Ian Churchill should really be a series regular.

Looks awesome, I like that the daily planet cast all seem pretty close here. I missed that. Interesting how their memories are still sorta syncing up with the current timeline. To them Perry and Jon always knew each each other and. But they know their lives were messed with but are fuzzy on the details. Probably why Supes will still be able to explain the Mxy thing to Bats and WW in the trinity book.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Can we keep Ian Churchill? Like, seriously?

If we could get both Vik Bogdanovic and Ian Churchill for this book, I'd be more than happy. There's a very "lived in" to his art, and the colors from Hi-Fi really work amazingly with the textures. The book looks like I should've been reading it forever. Almost like the mid 2000s and the New 52 were me changing the channel and losing the remote. Honestly, the book already sold me on just it's looks, and I've warmed up to Jurgens writing (not totally for me, but I don't mind it).

I also love how close Perry is with Jon.

I was wondering how they'd handle the memories of Mxy's attack and of both their past lives. Turns out that they're eventually gonna let everything fade away that's not the new history. So that means no Convergence, Smiths, Whites, armored suit, (possibly/likely) no classic suit, no President Lex, New Krypton, Grounded, and no Chris. This is basically a new Superman with stokes and shades of Pre and New 52 (possibly other eras).

I can't wait for Clark's guest spots in all the other books. It'll be nice to get a sense of what his relationship is like with Kara, Lana, Steel, and Kenan (Multiplicity didn't happy in the same way if at all). It'll also be great to see how Jon interacts with this side of the family.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Love that new look for Metallo.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

If we could get both Vik Bogdanovic and Ian Churchill for this book, I'd be more than happy. There's a very "lived in" to his art, and the colors from Hi-Fi really work amazingly with the textures. The book looks like I should've been reading it forever. Almost like the mid 2000s and the New 52 were me changing the channel and losing the remote. Honestly, the book already sold me on just it's looks, and I've warmed up to Jurgens writing (not totally for me, but I don't mind it).
    I agree, there's something special about this art and the feel of the book that makes me feel that this is the Superman I've reading about for a long time, and he never left.

I was wondering how they'd handle the memories of Mxy's attack and of both their past lives. Turns out that they're eventually gonna let everything fade away that's not the new history. So that means no Convergence, Smiths, Whites, armored suit, (possibly/likely) no classic suit, no President Lex, New Krypton, Grounded, and no Chris. This is basically a new Superman with stokes and shades of Pre and New 52 (possibly other eras).

I can't wait for Clark's guest spots in all the other books. It'll be nice to get a sense of what his relationship is like with Kara, Lana, Steel, and Kenan (Multiplicity didn't happy in the same way if at all). It'll also be great to see how Jon interacts with this side of the family.
    I guess they'll find a way to eventually retell the President Lex and New Krypton stories in the new continuity. Kandor is something that eventually finds its way back to the Superman mythos.

Because why tell new stories when you can rehash old ones, right? :P

Also, I'm guessing Multiplicity did happen more or less the same, just that nobody ever mentioned that Clark was a multiversal anomaly. It's exactly the same only that Prophecy was looking for him too.
    Last edited by Maxi; 04-06-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I also love how close Perry is with Jon.

I'll admit I'm a little bummed stuff like President Lex,Chris and the bulk of the 1999-2003 era are likely out, as well as stuff like Kurt Busiek and Greg Pak's runs are likely gone, but on the bright side, Chuck Austin's run as well as New Krypton and Grounded are gone...So that's a trade off I'm willing to make.

I do get the feeling that Jurgens is approaching this as this is a continuation of where he left off with the character when Berganza removed him from the books in favor of Loeb in 1999,as if we are returning to the Adventures of Superman already in progress. While we were on another channel, a few other things happened, Lois and Clark have a kid and that's that. Which is fine, because I always got the feeling that's how Jurgens approached Superman in his appearances since 2015. Yeah, supposedly he was supposed to be the Supes who decided to walk across America , but Jurgens wrote him like the confident, all together guy from the 1990's.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

"Mxyptlk's weird attack". Since they don't remember fake Clark Kent or dead Nuperman and SuperLois, just what do they think happened in this "weird attack"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'll admit I'm a little bummed stuff like President Lex,Chris and the bulk of the 1999-2003 era are likely out, as well as stuff like Kurt Busiek and Greg Pak's runs are likely gone, but on the bright side, Chuck Austin's run as well as New Krypton and Grounded are gone...So that's a trade off I'm willing to make.
    We know that at least Imperiex is still canon, so there's that.

Fantastic Member

It's great seeing Clark back at the Planet. I missed him working as a journalist.

Ian Churchill is doing solid work. That splash page of Supes...wow. His Clark Kent is excellent, too. Love the page of him working at his computer. Small details like the photos and taped notes give a sense of what a busy and full life Clark leads. Lois is cute in that photo. Cool shoutouts to Swan, Carlin, Siegel and Shuster, too.

I also think it's great that Perry is Jon's godfather. Cannot wait to see some interaction on that end.

Loving this preview. It really does feel like seeing old friend's again after so many years,and discovering there's also a child now lol.

I do get the feeling that Jurgens is approaching this as this is a continuation of where he left off with the character when Berganza removed him from the books in favor of Loeb in 1999,as if we are returning to the Adventures of Superman already in progress. While we were on another channel, a few other things happened, Lois and Clark have a kid and that's that. Which is fine, because I always got the feeling that's how Jurgens approached Superman in his appearances since 2015. Yeah, supposedly he was supposed to be the Supes who decided to walk across America , but Jurgens wrote him like the confident, all together guy from the 1990's.
    I am a little disappointed Busiek's run and early 2000s history might be gone from Superman's current Reborn timeline but Grounded and a lot of bad New 52 history also being retconned out is a worthwhile trade. I may prefer Pre Flashpoint Superman to New 52 Superman but this version certainly didn't have a neat and good ending to his personal continuity before the New 52.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    "Mxyptlk's weird attack". Since they don't remember fake Clark Kent or dead Nuperman and SuperLois, just what do they think happened in this "weird attack"?
    My guess?

They remember the bare bones of the Reborn story. They remember Mxy abducting Jon. They remember possibly losing their own memories of Jon. They remember a battle in another dimension. Superman might even remember Mxy telling him about how he was split in two and how some unknown entity was tampering with his life. And then they remember things getting back to 'normal'.

BANNED

It's possible Mxy himself is the one keeping them aware of his attack, just to remind them he'll come back to play with Jon sometime

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I guess they'll find a way to eventually retell the President Lex and New Krypton stories in the new continuity. Kandor is something that eventually finds its way back to the Superman mythos.
    I think both these stories are more than worth retelling in a modern context, now more than ever. Really hope we take our time with both. These even a way to do them simultaneously, and I think both might be better for it.

Also, I'm guessing Multiplicity did happen more or less the same, just that nobody ever mentioned that Clark was a multiversal anomaly. It's exactly the same only that Prophecy was looking for him too.
    I'd imagine that too but the solicitation says Kenan and Clark are meeting for the first time, so I can't say for sure what was and wasn't kept from Multiplicity. Though, since the villain was kept I imagine it was a good deal of it.

I wouldn't count out Pak's early stuff. He did introduce this version of Lana after all, so I'm guessing that awesome first arc is still there with little change. Baka and Jon should get an adventure together. Busiek is a little tougher. Camelot Falls can basically stay, but everything else might be out.

Yeah, supposedly he was supposed to be the Supes who decided to walk across America , but Jurgens wrote him like the confident, all together guy from the 1990's.
    With this Superman, too many preconceived notions outside of the universal idea of Superman are likely not a good call for a reader, I feel. For me personally, I've been thinking of him as an upgraded version of Superman from the animated show with hints of the Superman from the Supergirl show. Further development of the character form my perception later.