Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Do you think Dan Slott understands Peter?

I know Peter is unlikely and makes a lot of mistakes, but Slott goes too far on the Parker luck and makes Peter unable to save the day without even a villian helping him. Under past writers, Peter was able to win when it counted the most no matter how bad his luck was and no matter how unpopular he was. Slott seems to prefer Otto to Peter. Perhaps the upcoming Spectacular Spider Man series will show more of the real Peter Parker that Slott cannot get right.

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

I feel that you may be on to something. Peter is written differently after superior. I believe Marvel forced his hand to finish Superior earlier than he would have liked, and that may have left Slott slightly salty.
    It may have affected his writing style, but I do believe Slott loves Spidey, and does his best to write him regardless, hoping he won't be distracted now that Otto has returned as the Superior Octopus.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Peter's biggest loss from Mr. Slott was from Doc Ock taking over him but even then his life, every decision Peter made to be a hero is what inspired Doc Ock to be more heroic than a pure villain. I agree with SilverSpider that Dan Slott loves writing for Spider-Man. He wouldn't have stuck with the character and the hate if he wasn't lovin' every minute of it.
    Keep in mind that Spider-Man loses, a lot, he couldn't save Gwen, he didn't save Madame Web from Juggernaut, he didn't save himself from Kraven, he lost Harry to madness, Spider-Man facing loss from a villain or otherwise but overcoming it is ingrained into the character.

Amazing Member

Doubt Slott himself cares about it. For him the characters are just chess pieces he moves around in his latest bloated event-story

I honestly don't feel that Slott understands Spider-Man either, based on his body of work. However, his work on the RYV miniseries was extremely consistent with the character as he existed before Slott's time. So, either Slott cannot repeat that in ASM or he will not. Given that most of the problems with Slott's version of ASM are not tied into stuff like OMD and other factors that aren't in his control, the latter seems more likely.

Spectacular Member

I view Dan Slott's Spider-Man as hero who prioritizes saving people to the detriment of everything else, including defeating his villains. In Spider Island he let the other heroes defeat the Queen while he was busy curing the people of New York. He will never kill his villains, no matter how awful they are, in the hopes that he can reform them in the future. He is running Parker Industries into the ground because he is using all its resources to help people instead of keep the company viable. He ruins all his personal relationships because he is spending all his time saving people instead of being their for them.

While that is not the only way to view Spider-man, I do not see it as a misunderstanding of Peter.

BANNED

I feel people confuse "in a way I dont like a character being portrayed" with "misunderstanding a character that has been portrayed significantly different over the 50+ years of his existence".

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I feel people confuse "in a way I dont like a character being portrayed" with "misunderstanding a character that has been portrayed significantly different over the 50+ years of his existence".
    Maybe (and there is is always the risk of mixing the two up), but from where I'm standing, I think Slott is guilty of both.

BANNED

How so exactly? Got any specific examples?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe (and there is is always the risk of mixing the two up), but from where I'm standing, I think Slott is guilty of both.
    And you are completely allowed to feel that way. I on the other hand dont really see a bigger difference between Slotts version and the difference between many different writers over the years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    How so exactly? Got any specific examples?
    That the character has been portrayed differently by writers over the years? Can you actually tell me you think that the first 45 years of his existince he was portrayed the same by the dozens of writers who worked on the various titles? Because I can certaintly see a difference between them. If you think Slott vertions is that different thats fine, but I dont agree.

Extraordinary Member

I don't like the way Slott has written Peter since Superior.

BANNED

That the character has been portrayed differently by writers over the years? Can you actually tell me you think that the first 45 years of his existince he was portrayed the same by the dozens of writers who worked on the various titles? Because I can certaintly see a difference between them. If you think Slott vertions is that different thats fine, but I dont agree.
    Not what I was asking. I was looking for specific examples of how you think he's been portrayed differently, and by who.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    While that is not the only way to view Spider-man, I do not see it as a misunderstanding of Peter.
    When the writer of the title says "Peter has the emotional maturity of a 15 year old", I would say that is a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Not what I was asking. I was looking for specific examples of how you think he's been portrayed differently, and by who.
    90s era Spider-man slapping MJ compared to 60s Spide-man pranking Human Torch compared to JMS Spider-man walking down a wall getting pop corn from random guy compared to JMS era Spidey loaning Ironman armour to take MJ and Aunt may on a trip? Yeah thats the exact same character... I would continue but I doubt it would benefit any of us. Considering our disagrements in the past I doubt we are ever going to come to any form of agreement here.

I personally think that people that say that Slott doesn't get Peter and Spider-Man don't get Spider-Man at all, but to each their own. Very happy to get to live in a day and age that Dan Slott is the current writer of Spider-Man, easily my all time favorite Spider-Man writer.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X