Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    2, Doesn't stating that Peter is "emotionally 15" also suggest that Peter is slow...as in,mentally disabled in some way? This would explain why Peter comes across as unable to make sound decisions or actions since OMD.
    no. emotional maturity and intellectual capability are not the same thing.
    troo fan or death

1. Which is contradicted by Marvels presenting us a married Peter and MJ in RYV's...along with using variants depicting Peter and MJ as a couple.So...if the "marriage" is Anti-Marvel why are they giving us an ongoing in RYV's that has a "married Peter and MJ?
    Nobody ever said the marriage was anti-marvel. There was actually no talk about the marriage at all there.

Slott was just talking about the art style used to depict some of the character, how it felt off to him but he enjoyed it anyway.

Even if the marriage WAS Anti-Marvel, that doesn't mean they can't use it in various ways, such as an alternate reality. You could say Spider-man being a cannibal or Thor and Ironman being racists Nazis is anti-marvel, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for an alternate reality.

2, Doesn't stating that Peter is "emotionally 15" also suggest that Peter is slow...as in,mentally disabled in some way? This would explain why Peter comes across as unable to make sound decisions or actions since OMD.
    No it doesn't. Not even close. I'm not even sure where you're getting this from, unless you're actively going out of your way to think what the worst possible way you could spin this would be.

The worst you could say is that he's immature.

BANNED

"Emotional maturity" refers to your ability to understand, and manage, your emotions. Emotional maturity enables you to create the life you desire. A life filled with happiness and fulfilment. You define success in your own terms, not society’s, and you strive to achieve it. Your emotional maturity is observed through your thoughts and behaviours. When you are faced with a difficult situation, your level of emotional maturity is one of the biggest factors in determining your ability to cope.
    "Intellectual capability" is having the ability to reason, understand logic,ask questions, discuss and debate topics, communicate fluently, provide effective input etc.
    In essence...Peter is mentally intelligent, but emotionally retarded?
    Emotional maturity is defined when you have the ability to experience these emotions and then quickly let them go. People who are immature seem to remain stuck in these negative emotions, unable to get past them.
    So, what emotions exactly does Peter hold on to...and what ones does he let go of?
    I guess that depends on what the writer decides it is!
    Seems to me to be a bit of a contradiction here...Peter is able to understand logically but is unable to understand his own basic emotions? So...he doesn't know what he's feeling at any given time? Or is he able to understand some of his emotions but not others? How does this work exactly? He is just continually confused whenever he feels any emotion whatsoever? And since Peter's "emotional immaturity is "stunted" it suggests Peter can never be truly happy, or create the life that he truly desires because he is emotionally immature and not mature enough to make good decisions or accept things for what they are and let them go...such as the death of Uncle Ben.
    Do people who are emotionally stunted ever reach full mental maturity?
    Maturity truly does involve the recognition of boundaries and responsibilities.
    Isn't Spiderman all about with great power comes great responsibility? Spiderman can manage his power and the use of it but not his own emotions?
    if one has not passed some of the guideposts of emotional maturity, then those with mental illnesses and other problems that impact on their ability to empathize and to take responsibility for their actions will not appear mature no matter how old they are.
    This contradicts everything that makes Peter Spiderman!
    Isn't this just really Marvel's way to keep Peter "forever young" in order to fit with their highschool image of Spiderman?
    Sure...he will date, have different jobs,have adventures...but he will never emotionally mature? He will stay stuck...running in place forever with no real character growth?
    And he will never have a complete grasp of what it truly means to be responsible?

"Emotional maturity" refers to your ability to understand, and manage, your emotions. Emotional maturity enables you to create the life you desire. A life filled with happiness and fulfilment. You define success in your own terms, not society’s, and you strive to achieve it. Your emotional maturity is observed through your thoughts and behaviours. When you are faced with a difficult situation, your level of emotional maturity is one of the biggest factors in determining your ability to cope.
    "Intellectual capability" is having the ability to reason, understand logic,ask questions, discuss and debate topics, communicate fluently, provide effective input etc.
    In essence...Peter is mentally intelligent, but emotionally retarded?
    Emotional maturity is defined when you have the ability to experience these emotions and then quickly let them go. People who are immature seem to remain stuck in these negative emotions, unable to get past them.
    So, what emotions exactly does Peter hold on to...and what ones does he let go of?
    I guess that depends on what the writer decides it is!
    Seems to me to be a bit of a contradiction here...Peter is able to understand logically but is unable to understand his own basic emotions? So...he doesn't know what he's feeling at any given time? Or is he able to understand some of his emotions but not others? How does this work exactly? He is just continually confused whenever he feels any emotion whatsoever? And since Peter's "emotional immaturity is "stunted" it suggests Peter can never be truly happy, or create the life that he truly desires because he is emotionally immature and not mature enough to make good decisions or accept things for what they are and let them go...such as the death of Uncle Ben.
    Do people who are emotionally stunted ever reach full mental maturity?
    Isn't Spiderman all about with great power comes great responsibility? Spiderman can manage his power and the use of it but not his own emotions?
    if one has not passed some of the guideposts of emotional maturity, then those with mental illnesses and other problems that impact on their ability to empathize and to take responsibility for their actions will not appear mature no matter how old they are.
    This contradicts everything that makes Peter Spiderman!
    Isn't this just really Marvel's way to keep Peter "forever young" in order to fit with their highschool image of Spiderman?
    Sure...he will date, have different jobs,have adventures...but he will never emotionally mature? He will stay stuck...running in place forever with no real character growth?
    And he will never have a complete grasp of what it truly means to be responsible?
    the imitation game is an excellent story about a genius who is emotionally immature. the doctor in doctor who is frequently portrayed that way too.

no need to drag mental illness or disability into this to make your point. let's try and keep the bar high.
    troo fan or death

So, you are just trying to think what the worst possible way you could spin this would be. Thank you for confirming that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    That's you in the video right? Or am I wrong?

MJ is beautiful in and out but whatever.

As a woman and a feminist this is...insulting.

But hey! That's just my onion.

Godspeed man.
    If that's your onion, here's my parsnip:
    I never said MJ or Gwen or Deb weren't beautiful on the inside.
    I get that you want me to be the black hat here and that you like MJ, but the way you're honing in on just MJ isn't really fair from that clip. It was a litany of all the classically beautiful women who we're introduced to during the Ditko/Romita years-- and-- on sight-- they're gorgeous.
    I think the MJ you see in the Secret Wars: Renew Your Vows mini IS beautiful on the inside and out-- so is the MJ in my first Spidey mini, Spider-Man/Human Torch.

Much like your earlier deleted post, it's like you want to pick a fight. When the truth of the matter is, I think we're on the same page about this character.

This whole thread is pathetic. Mr. Slott, you shouldn't waste your time arguing with people on the Internet. You have achieved great things in the Comic Book Industry. Be happy with what you've accomplished. Why bother with such trivialities? When one wallows in the mud everything gets dirty.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-08-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This is pathetic. Mr. Slott, you shouldn't waste your time arguing with people on the Internet. You have achieved great things in the Comic Book Industry. Be happy with what you've accomplished. Why bother with such trivialities? When one wallows in the mud everything gets dirty.
    i can agree that there are some people and points that dan slott shouldn't even bother with, but engaging with the readership and wanting to clear up misundertandings or even just back his own point of view aren't bad things in and of themselves.

after all, if engaging on this forum is a triviality, then we're all guilty of that.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    If that's your onion, here's my parsnip:
    I never said MJ or Gwen or Deb weren't beautiful on the inside.
    I get that you want me to be the black hat here and that you like MJ, but the way you're honing in on just MJ isn't really fair from that clip. It was a litany of all the classically beautiful women who we're introduced to during the Ditko/Romita years-- and-- on sight-- they're gorgeous.
    I think the MJ you see in the Secret Wars: Renew Your Vows mini IS beautiful on the inside and out-- so is the MJ in my first Spidey mini, Spider-Man/Human Torch.

Much like your earlier deleted post, it's like you want to pick a fight. When the truth of the matter is, I think we're on the same page about this character.
    Sure. I'm glad you think MJ is great. You should use her more often then.

And I picked the fight? You know what? Whatever. You bet.

See ya. You and your fans enjoy Spider-man, I'll be over there reading Image and Detective comic comics.

FYI: I could argue how what you said in that video was undermining to MJ, Gwen, Deb, AND Anna as female characters. But it seems pretty clear that this conversation isn't gonna go anywhere. So I'm out.
    Last edited by DCordo74; 04-09-2017 at 05:31 AM.

A back and forth on whether Slott or his critics are bullies has been deleted.

It's not productive, and not on-topic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    Nothing wrong with Slott's characterization of Peter/Spidey. Except maybe that Peter's quips usually don't hit, I guess? Either make him super funny or super cringey in that department.
    I never did like Peter as a regular funny guy. I can see he grew into that, but I find it a little boring because it's a very typical kind of humor.

But anyway, I'm glad to see pages and pages of arguing against the writer met with next day news that Amazing was the best-selling book of last month.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It really feels like many of the criticisms against Slott on these boards are nitpicking and bitter. I didn't even notice that Spider-Man needed help from others all the time. (Sounds overexaggerated.) Having Spider-Man need help is a writing problem certainly not an "misunderstanding" of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    It really feels like many of the criticisms against Slott on these boards are nitpicking and bitter. I didn't even notice that Spider-Man needed help from others all the time. (Sounds overexaggerated.) Having Spider-Man need help is a writing problem certainly not an "misunderstanding" of the character.
    It's not even exclusive to the main book. He's bailed out by others he's teaming with in the newspapers too (sometimes even by MJ as well)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-09-2017 at 01:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm glad to see pages and pages of arguing against the writer met with next day news that Amazing was the best-selling book of last month.
    It was discussed in another thread you can have a top-selling product which many can object to the quality of. And they are well within their rights to.

For example, I saw an article on CBR listing Superior, a massive success for the line and for Slott in particular, as a "worse story" than OMD at one point, so clearly high numbers does not shield a series from subjective scrutiny.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-09-2017 at 01:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    the imitation game is an excellent story about a genius who is emotionally immature. the doctor in doctor who is frequently portrayed that way too.

no need to drag mental illness or disability into this to make your point. let's try and keep the bar high.

Emotional immaturity is seen by many psychological experts to be a mental illness/disorder!

An Overview of Immature Personality Disorder
    Immature Personality Disorder usually develops in teenagers, and is indicated by the absence of mature behavior. Although people with mature behavior know the difference between maturity and childishness, this disorder makes the patients act childishly all the time.

In my previous post this is shown to be a contradiction to who Peter is as a character.

"Do people who are emotionally stunted ever reach full mental maturity?
    This contradicts everything that makes Peter Spiderman!"