Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, you are just trying to think what the worst possible way you could spin this would be. Thank you for confirming that.
    No...I'm showing the contradictions within the statement.

Incredible Member

It's "Spider-Man".
    With a hyphen.

It scares me that I need to say that in a thread about how I misunderstand the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Emotional immaturity is seen by many psychological experts to be a mental illness/disorder!
    no. it's not.

being emotionally immature is not the same as any of the immature personality disorders. there are very specific criteria for a personality disorder to be diagnosed and it's a serious condition that needs treatment and understanding.

it's not something you should feel free to manipulate in order to mock or criticise a fictional character's actions that you happen to disagree with.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    It's "Spider-Man".
    With a hyphen.

It scares me that I need to say that in a thread about how I misunderstand the character.
    i get that wrong all the time.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    no. it's not.

being emotionally immature is not the same as any of the immature personality disorders. there are very specific criteria for a personality disorder to be diagnosed and it's a serious condition that needs treatment and understanding.

it's not something you should feel free to manipulate in order to mock or criticise a fictional character's actions that you happen to disagree with.
    Funny since Emotional Immaturity has been linked to Depression and Anxiety

http://www.aifc.com.au/emotional-imm...n-and-anxiety/

If Emotional Immaturity is seen as being linked to Depression, and is seen as a mental disorder by many professionals in the field of psychology...then by extension this would indicate that Emotional Immaturity can be seen as a psychological disorder which then leads to a deeper disorder known as Depression.

Funny since Emotional Immaturity has been linked to Depression and Anxiety

http://www.aifc.com.au/emotional-imm...n-and-anxiety/

If Emotional Immaturity is seen as being linked to Depression, and is seen as a mental disorder by many professionals in the field of psychology...then by extension this would indicate that Emotional Immaturity can be seen as a psychological disorder which then leads to a deeper disorder known as Depression.
    so... now that you've diagnosed spider-man with a really vague mental disorder, you're concerned that he will develop depression?
    Last edited by boots; 04-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

so... now that you've diagnosed spider-man with a really vague mental disorder, you're concerned that he will will develop depression?
    I'm simply stating that Slott is not writing Spiderman/Peter in true character as he was created,nor with any progression to that character which was established Pre-OMD, and if we go by Dan's characterization of the character as explained by him, and in his own words, then something is wrong with Spiderman/Peter if he is emotionally immature... under Slott's pen Peter is suffering from some level of depression if he is an "emotional 15 year-old" who cannot be allowed to grow and progress as a character,or become a fully mature adult. Peter/Spiderman is editorially being kept immature and forever young...this was another purpose of OMD, to de-age Peter and halt any progression to his character.And yes...since BND it would seem as if Spiderman/Peter is suffering from some form of emotional immaturity that refuses to allow him to mature and grow.

I'm simply stating that Slott is not writing Spiderman/Peter in true character as he was created,nor with any progression to that character which was established Pre-OMD, and if we go by Dan's characterization of the character as explained by him, and in his own words, then something is wrong with Spiderman/Peter if he is emotionally immature... under Slott's pen Peter is suffering from some level of depression if he is an "emotional 15 year-old" who cannot be allowed to grow and progress as a character,or become a fully mature adult. Peter/Spiderman is editorially being kept immature and forever young...this was another purpose of OMD, to de-age Peter and halt any progression to his character.And yes...since BND it would seem as if Spiderman/Peter is suffering from some form of emotional immaturity that refuses to allow him to mature and grow.
    y'know, there's probably an interesting discussion to be had about the mental stresses and potential disorders that all superheroes might need to deal with but i have a feeling that's not going to happen here.
    troo fan or death

y'know, there's probably an interesting discussion to be had about the mental stresses and potential disorders that all superheroes might need to deal with but i have a feeling that's not going to happen here.
    I have heard the suggesting that in real life, most superheroes would probably be in bad mental shape. It might make for interesting speculation, but I'm not sure I'd want to read about that all the time, much less have my favorite character be depicted as suffering from that.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I have heard the suggesting that in real life, most superheroes would probably be in bad mental shape. It might make for interesting speculation, but I'm not sure I'd want to read about that all the time, much less have my favorite character be depicted as suffering from that.
    i think a mini might be interesting but all in all, i'm cool with it just being hand waved away
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member

"emotional 15 year-old"
    Let me get this straight, you're writing psychological dissertations on Peter Parker here, off of a silly quip/off-the-cuff-joke I made at the ECCC Spider-Man panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Let me get this straight, you're writing psychological dissertations on Peter Parker here, off of a silly quip/off-the-cuff-joke I made at the ECCC Spider-Man panel?
    happens a lot. some peeps are either unable or unwilling to take context or nuance into account.

see those who took the medicine quote from marvel applied by one employee in one situation within one context and have decided that it is a company wide policy on every action taken. it's an easy way to use false attribution to bolster your own argument while straw manning the opponent.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    It really feels like many of the criticisms against Slott on these boards are nitpicking and bitter. I didn't even notice that Spider-Man needed help from others all the time. (Sounds overexaggerated.) Having Spider-Man need help is a writing problem certainly not an "misunderstanding" of the character.
    Personally, I feel Slott has been spinning his wheels on AMS recently. Actually, it has slowly felt that way for me since he brought Peter back. I loved Big Time and even loved Superior (despite not liking the premise at first). But i feel he should begin thinking about wrapping his run up sooner, rather than later. Spider-man is in need of a fresh voice.

This is in no means a criticism. All totalled, the guy has written more issues of Spider-man out of any writer. A remarkable feat he should be incredibly proud of. But like the overuse of Osborn back in the 90's, I'm getting burned out on more Doctor Octopus stories. Yes, Dan, we know you love Doc Ock. But surely there are other villains you can take a crack at? Heck, you wrote one of my all time favourite Mysterio stories.

I also was a bit turned off by his comment recently that "Peter is emotionally 15". Because Peter is more mature than that. Yes, he jokes. But his sense of humor is not an indication of his maturity.

All-New Member

I'm a long time on again/off again reader of the forums and have read comics for 30 years. This and other threads have finally gotten me to joing simply to say I think Dan Slott has been writing Spider-Man in a way that I have greatly enjoyed and with some storylines that I have been surprised to enjoy so much.

Thank you Dan, I think you understand Peter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch12 View Post
    I'm a long time on again/off again reader of the forums and have read comics for 30 years. This and other threads have finally gotten me to joing simply to say I think Dan Slott has been writing Spider-Man in a way that I have greatly enjoyed and with some storylines that I have been surprised to enjoy so much.

Thank you Dan, I think you understand Peter.
    Been reading comics for just as long and I disagree. Haven't been enjoying the main comics at all, though I don't think that's entirely the fault of the writer, I trust him when he says he can work with whatever status quo he's given, and he's proven he can, I simply feel my dissatisfaction comes from the emotionally mature void in the character's life and company policy tying back otherwise able hands. The newspapers and RYV, the McRibs of the franchise, on the other hand, continue to satisfy me.

But hey, glad you're enjoying things as they are, and welcome

happens a lot. some peeps are either unable or unwilling to take context or nuance into account.
    I find people caring enough to spin compelling thesis on the characters based off remarks like that therapeutic for them when dealing with a character that acts so unlike how he used to be decades ago, and done in a very deliberate manner.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-10-2017 at 04:44 AM.