Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Not really. If you look at the numbers for ASM during Civil War era and the run up to OMD, then it was selling in around the 120,000 level, but the events were inflating its numbers. In the years before that (2004-2006) it sold around 80,000 an issue. And that is before digital comics were a thing.
    Not to mentiom that collected editions sales now are also different then 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yes. But the unfortunate flip side is it shows fans are willing to pay $10 for a comic book and that opens the door now for more issues at that price point.
    Yeah. It's something that could work once in a while.

Now look for Marvel to do it twice a month.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah. It's something that could work once in a while.

Now look for Marvel to do it twice a month.
    Imagine if it was ONE big issue telling a whole saga, just Dan Slott and Stuart Immonen, be it the start or the finale of some epic storyline. Imagine how cool would that be. I'd be totally down for something like that. Differently than Spider-Verse, my biggest complaint over The Clone Conspiracy is that that comic could easily be told within Amazing Spider-Man itself. Spider-Verse demanded its own specials, Clone Conspiracy didn't. With that said, I'm very excited with this next phase of Amazing Spider-Man having Slott and Immonen at the helm. What a great creators team. It could get as epic and as definitive as Snyder and Capullo with Batman. Very much stoked for it.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    It could get as epic and as definitive as Snyder and Capullo with Batman.
    This is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This is highly unlikely.
    To you guys? Nah. It never will. But with all due respect, who cares?
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    To you guys? Nah. It never will. But with all due respect, who cares?
    You guys, huh? Not speaking for anyone else here but me.

And when ASM starts doing Snyder / Capullo Batman numbers, call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    You guys, huh? Not speaking for anyone else here but me.

And when ASM starts doing Snyder / Capullo Batman numbers, call me.

I mean, OMD-deniers.

And Amazing Spider-Man doesn't need to start selling better than Snyder/Capullo Batman. It already did, several times, and even when it didn't, back then while Amazing Spider-Man had double shipping, Batman had one book. So Spider-Man did sell better than Capullo / Snyder Batman, not that both series aren't brilliant, just throwing it out there.
    Pull list:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    In other words, we don't know how well the comic was received by the customers yet, just that the stores were anticipating it would be a high seller.
    Actually there is another metric. ASM #25 placed extremely high in reorders.
    That indicates the book was "hand selling" well from retailers to customers in enough shops to merit a high placement on this chart.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...f-god-country/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now if only they'd have MJ on the cover, this would've done even better .
    In addition to the cover(s) MJ shared with Gwen and Felicia, we also got this variant cover of ASM Vol. 4 #25 by J. Scott Campbell featuring Peter and MJ on vacation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now if only they'd have MJ on the cover, this would've done even better.
    There are actually many times where we (Marvel/Marvel Editorial) doesn't have that much a say on what goes on a variant cover. Some retailers are very specific on what they want. Or, in the case of JSC, what he loves drawing: MJ and Gwen, whether they're in the issue or not. On the Learning To Crawl #1 cover, we told 'im (to no avail) that the book was only dealing w/ Pete's high school years-- and just the first 60 days of him being Spidey-- and that Gwen (who he'd meet in college) was nowhere near the issue. And he didn't care. He wanted to draw Gwen. So, heck, let 'im draw Gwen. It's JSC! You know it's going to look great. And it's a variant cover.

There was ONE retailer, I love 'im very much, and for every other variant he'd commission, he'd put MJ on the cover (that would alternate w/ a nice hero shot of Spidey, usually by Adi Granov). And I'd tell 'im, "You know she's not in the issue." And the retailer would say, he didn't care. He, personally, liked MJ covers. So one night, I'm visiting his town, and he and the guys from the shop take me out to dinner. And they're asking me what's coming up that they can get variant covers for. And I tell them that this is the one they've been waiting for! We had this book, Renew Your Vows, coming up and that MJ would be a KEY character in every single issue. They could finally, justifiably go MJ-crazy!

And you know what he says?

"I dunno. I think people are really into Spider-Gwen now. I think we should do variants with Spider-Gwen on the cover."

(I eventually convinced him that MJ covers would probably be for the best on RYV.)
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 04-07-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    There are actually many times where we (Marvel Editorial) doesn't have that much a say on what goes on a variant cover. Some retailers are very specific on what they want. Or, in the case JSC, what he loves drawing MJ and Gwen, whether they're in the issue or not. :-P On the Learning To Crawl #1 cover, we told 'im (to no avail) that the book was only dealing w/ Pete's high school years-- and just the first 60 days of him being Spidey-- and that Gwen (who he'd meet in college) was nowhere near the issue. And he didn't care. He wanted to draw Gwen. So, heck, let 'im draw Gwen. It's JSC! You know it's going to look great. And it's a variant cover.

There was ONE retailer, I love 'em very much, and for every other variant they'd commission, they'd put MJ on the cover (that would alternate w/ a nice hero shot of Spidey, usually by Adi Granov). And I'd tell 'im, "You know she's not in the issue." And the retailer would say, he didn't care. He, personally, liked MJ covers. So one night, I'm visiting his town, and he and the guys from the shop take me out to dinner. And they're asking me what's coming up that they can get variant covers for. And I tell them that this is the one they've been waiting for! We had this book, Renew Your Vows coming up and that MJ would be a KEY character in every single issue. They could finally, justifiably go MJ-crazy!

"I dunno. I think people are really into Spider-Gwen now. I think we should do covers with Spider-Gwen on the cover."

(I eventually convinced him that MJ covers would probably be for the best on RYV.)
    Just think, now ISPs will sell my information that I searched online for these MJ covers for this thread just to prove they existed. What does that say?

Ha ha ha...

(I'll take it to the politics thread in the community forum.)

There are actually many times where we (Marvel/Marvel Editorial) doesn't have that much a say on what goes on a variant cover. Some retailers are very specific on what they want. Or, in the case JSC, what he loves drawing: MJ and Gwen, whether they're in the issue or not. On the Learning To Crawl #1 cover, we told 'im (to no avail) that the book was only dealing w/ Pete's high school years-- and just the first 60 days of him being Spidey-- and that Gwen (who he'd meet in college) was nowhere near the issue. And he didn't care. He wanted to draw Gwen. So, heck, let 'im draw Gwen. It's JSC! You know it's going to look great. And it's a variant cover.

There was ONE retailer, I love 'em very much, and for every other variant they'd commission, they'd put MJ on the cover (that would alternate w/ a nice hero shot of Spidey, usually by Adi Granov). And I'd tell 'im, "You know she's not in the issue." And the retailer would say, he didn't care. He, personally, liked MJ covers. So one night, I'm visiting his town, and he and the guys from the shop take me out to dinner. And they're asking me what's coming up that they can get variant covers for. And I tell them that this is the one they've been waiting for! We had this book, Renew Your Vows coming up and that MJ would be a KEY character in every single issue. They could finally, justifiably go MJ-crazy!

"I dunno. I think people are really into Spider-Gwen now. I think we should do covers with Spider-Gwen on the cover."

Hah. That's hilarious.

I am on the side of the opinion that a variant can have whatever and whoever on it, since it's essentially just a special/exclusive piece of art that comes with a book. Allows an artist to go nuts or even be self-referential/funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Hah. That's hilarious.

I am on the side of the opinion that a variant can have whatever and whoever on it, since it's essentially just a special/exclusive piece of art that comes with a book. Allows an artist to go nuts or even be self-referential/funny.
    I'm just glad this one didn't have a Skottie Young variant. That's my addiction.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    In other words, we don't know how well the comic was received by the customers yet, just that the stores were anticipating it would be a high seller.
    And whatever the Retailers can't sell to buying customers the retailer will have to take the loss.I would be more impressed if these were actually customer numbers and not just what was bought and shipped to stores.Just because a bunch of Retailers ordered a bunch of copies of Amazing # 25 doesn't mean it was a hit with the buying public or that they sold to those same customers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    And whatever the Retailers can't sell to buying customers the retailer will have to take the loss.I would be more impressed if these were actually customer numbers and not just what was bought and shipped to stores.Just because a bunch of Retailers ordered a bunch of copies of Amazing # 25 doesn't mean it was a hit with the buying public or that they sold to those same customers.
    Here. ICYMI...

Actually there is another metric. ASM #25 placed extremely high in reorders.
    That indicates the book was "hand selling" well from retailers to customers in enough shops to merit a high placement on this chart.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...f-god-country/