Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This will probably take Green Arrow or WW's place in my pull list. Finally one good announcement from DC.

someone Not-Ann Nocenti is writing Catwoman

SOLD!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

At the very least I am incredibly curious about the book now. It's good to see Valentine's writing has been so positively reviewed so that's a positive. Although, since the only images I have of Kingpin Catwoman are Dustin Nguyen and now Jae Lee...Brown will fall fairly short. Sorrentino would have been A-MAZE-ING on this book though...oh well. Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    Stoked. Would have proffered a better known writer, but at this point I'm willing to take literally anybody.

So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?
    With the Catwoman #35 Monster Variant announced, my guess is that they're keeping the original numbers.
    Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

That cover looks great...

Ultimate Member

I'm still not sold on the "Selina as the Kingpin" idea. Wilson Fisk is a VERY bad guy who does horrible and despicable things on a daily basis as part of "doing business." You have to be willing to go there to be any kind of successful crime boss. Selina, on the other hand, works much better as a "shades of grey" character who can do amoral things, but is ultimately a good person underneath. Does she order the businesses of people who refuse to pay "protection money" to be burned down, or does she have them knee-capped? Does she blackmail, intimidate, or threaten people into supporting her? Does she threaten witnesses who may testify against her, or even have them killed, and so on? Because those are the kinds of things that crime bosses do. I'm not sure that they can reconcile those two. I DO NOT want Selina as a full-on villain, period. But we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 07-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.

No idea who this creative team is, but hey I'd take anyone over Ann Nocenti. I'll definitely give this series a shot now.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

BANNED

Considering DC has a terrible track record with this character, it's a wonder she still has any fans. This new team has their work cut out for them. If they don't stem the sales decline, I wouldn't wait 2-1/2 years to replace them.

So has Marts pirated Gluckstern off this title yet? Selina can't be that lucky, can she?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm still not sold on the "Selina as the Kingpin" idea. Wilson Fisk is a VERY bad guy who does horrible and despicable things on a daily basis as part of "doing business." You have to be willing to go there to be any kind of successful crime boss. Selina, on the other hand, works much better as a "shades of grey" character who can do amoral things, but is ultimately a good person underneath. Does she order the businesses of people who refuse to pay "protection money" to be burned down, or does she have them knee-capped? Does she blackmail, intimidate, or threaten people into supporting her? Does she threaten witnesses who may testify against her, or even have them killed, and so on? Because those are the kinds of things that crime bosses do. I'm not sure that they can reconcile those two. I DO NOT want Selina as a full-on villain, period. But we'll see how it goes.
    I highly doubt they'll make her that ruthless. If they did, that would just really turn people off the character more. She'll probably be more morally gray than usual, but that's it. I highly doubt she'll do those things.

Ultimate Member

Then her being a "crime boss" is completely pointless.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Then her being a "crime boss" is completely pointless.
    I think they will play it that her love of Bruce was the only thing keeping her in the gray. His rejection upon rejection of her is what pushed her into the darker side. Then, realizing his error, his love will bring her back. Yes, it makes her a a dark Mary Sue, but it is Batman's world

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Oh thank God Nocenti is finally off! I'll probably give this new team a try. Can't be any worse, and I like that it's using the ideas introduced in Snyder's Batman. This seems like an interesting direction for the character. Count me in
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think they will play it that her love of Bruce was the only thing keeping her in the gray. His rejection upon rejection of her is what pushed her into the darker side. Then, realizing his error, his love will bring her back. Yes, it makes her a a dark Mary Sue, but it is Batman's world
    Hum no. i just hope they can keep Selina as a villain as long as possible if not indefinitely. She was just an anti-hero in the past decades. Batman lacks female A-list villains so I'm happy to see her back to the dark side after all these years. So no excuse for a cheap love story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I highly doubt they'll make her that ruthless. If they did, that would just really turn people off the character more. She'll probably be more morally gray than usual, but that's it. I highly doubt she'll do those things.
    I hope not. I hope to see her as ruthless as possible.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm just not 100 percent on Selina being a villain. I like her as a love interest for BATMAN, but one that occasionally does bad things that the big black bat may overlook.