Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is the TV version of Supergirl more likable then Henry Cavil Superman?

I saw this amusing video about the movie Superman and I think it brought up an interesting idea, that the TV version of Supergirl is more likable then the current film version of Superman. Would you agree or disagree with this notion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTPpaQGB20

she is allowed to speak and is also the undisputable main character of her own series. She also has had at least a couple of boyfriends and neither has hijacked her life.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

For sure. Not blaming Cavil but his Superman is more distant than any other interpretation of the character than I've seen. He feels more like Doctor Manhattan than Superman at times

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    For sure. Not blaming Cavil but his Superman is more distant than any other interpretation of the character than I've seen. He feels more like Doctor Manhattan than Superman at times
    He feels like a mute who got his testicles cut off. First 50 minutes of MOS Clark was pretty awesome though.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    He feels like a mute who got his testicles cut off. First 50 minutes of MOS Clark was pretty awesome though.
    Man of Steel had its moments and it could have been a good starting point for a character who would turn into the usual Superman, but then BvS came along and ruined any progress he could have made. BvS put Superman into a bad place.

BANNED

That show gave us a better Superman than Cavil too

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That show gave us a better Superman than Cavil too
    That show gave us a midget with a horrendous super suit. No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Man of Steel had its moments and it could have been a good starting point for a character who would turn into the usual Superman, but then BvS came along and ruined any progress he could have made. BvS put Superman into a bad place.
    Literally into the grave.

Cavil is the worst

The charisma of a rock.

Yeah, probably. Poor Kal is in a really tough spot in both movies, and really only gets about five minutes at the end of Man of Steel to inhabit anything like what we think of as the Superman "status quo". Besides that he's being put through the ringer and doesn't really get a lot of interiority besides. Kara just gets the better end of the stick. Damn shame too, Cavill's charming as heck if the script would let him be.

And I like Dawn of Justice too, it's just not a movie that's concerned with whether its characters are likable.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

"Is the TV version of Supergirl more likeable than Henry Cavill Superman?"

Is the Pope Catholic?

'Nuff said.

I think Melissa is great and the actor who played Superman was ok but too young for my taste I know they explained it but still too young for me given he was Superman when Kara landed as a child. As for Henry Cavill I feel it's unfair to judge him. Is he Christopher Reeve? No but who is? Christopher Reeve and George Reeves kind of defined the look of Superman for their times with the comics even slightly representing their looks at the time with George and his barrel chest and Chris's slimmer form. Henry is better than let's say the two Superboy tv actors from the Superboy tv show. But I have a soft spot for Dean Cain, Tom Welling, and even Brandon Routh and feel HC has never gotten the script to shine as Superman and judging him to the rest would be unfair. Oh since I mentioned everyone else respect to the first Kirk Alyn.

Yes, she is, but (at the moment) that's basically by design. Also, TV has more of an opportunity to humanize and show multiple facets of a character. Movies do have that opportunity, but these haven't (yet, I'll say yet for the sake of it) taken the full opportunities to do so.

These differences have nothing to do with Cavill himself, and everything to do with the writers and directors he's had for these films so far. Watching Cavill in other roles shows much more of what he could do, imo.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yes, she is, but (at the moment) that's basically by design. Also, TV has more of an opportunity to humanize and show multiple facets of a character. Movies do have that opportunity, but these haven't (yet, I'll say yet for the sake of it) taken the full opportunities to do so.

These differences have nothing to do with Cavill himself, and everything to do with the writers and directors he's had for these films so far. Watching Cavill in other roles shows much more of what he could do, imo.
    He was great as Napoleon Solo in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. The misgivings of MOS and BvS have nothing to do with Cavill's casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    He was great as Napoleon Solo in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. The misgivings of MOS and BvS have nothing to do with Cavill's casting.
    Definitely. That movie was great - wish I'd seen it when it was still in theaters.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/