1 2.56%
  • Stephen Wacker

8 20.51%
  • Outside Marvel/other

5 12.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm surprised Bendis isn't on that list. He obvious has significant ties in the industry, has a proven track record of supporting diversity in characters, and is often praised by other writers for his ideas. I'm not saying I'd necessarily want Bendis (nor do I think a different EIC is necessary), but he certainly is likely going to be in the mix for any conversation.
    I don't think Bendis would be in the mix because he lacks editorial experience, Mark Waid is one of the few creators who might have been considered, but between his outspoken online persona, the fact that'd he'd likely be considered too old guard, and his 3 most recent books Avengers, Champions, and Black Widow, while maybe not total flops, have certainly underperformed for the resources Marvel invested in them, especially Champions, that Marvel has to pay that RPG company for to share the rights to the name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Are you seriously going to suggest that the Editor in Chief could have prevented what happened with X-Men Gold?
    Yep. Could of been caught with proper editing, which is one of the biggest problems right now with Marvel.

The editors aren't doing there job and the EiC is the one to make sure the editors were doing there job.

I have not heard one word of any kind of punishment for Nick Lowe for not catching this and same for Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Amanat would be cool, but between the choices of the pool, I think Wacker is hands down the best choice.
    I can live with Wacker as the head of Marvel Animation.

At least now, with him in charge, they're actually decent, if not as good as they have been (but better then when Loeb was in charge).

I would say Sana Amanat, as I feel she would help maintain some of the things I really like about Marvel (More female characters, diversity explored etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I would say Sana Amanat, as I feel she would help maintain some of the things I really like about Marvel (More female characters, diversity explored etc...)
    Though I would also hope she could maintain stuff like line cohesiveness and character/brand consistency .

Extraordinary Member

I don't think the editor-in-chief position is as easy to get fired from as it used to be, because it probably doesn't carry as much power as it once did.

Look at Bob Harras, who has lasted longer as DC's editor-in-chief than he did as Marvel's, even though DC's output has some of the same flaws (and some of the same hires). And both Alonso and Harras's predecessors, Joe Quesada and Dan DiDio, didn't get fired, they got kicked upstairs.

The days when a Jim Shooter or even a Quesada could come in and change the whole editorial structure of the company, are probably over (I said probably, so I could be wrong). Even if a new editor-in-chief came along and wanted to stop the things you find worst at DC or Marvel - whatever that is - they might not have the power in today's post-Disney corporate structure. You can see some of Alonso's preferences as an editor represented in the Marvel line, but not the way Shooter or even DiDio stamped their preferences on everything. The way Marvel and DC comics are made now is bigger than any one person.

As for Brevoort I'm not even sure he would want the job. I have no inside information, but he's been very successful as an editor of individual comics working directly with creative teams, which is a very different thing from being the editor-in-chief. Harras is another example of a very successful editor who wasn't so successful as EiC, and maybe even Alonso himself, arguably. P

Anyone but Axel (and Jim Shooter) gets my vote
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't think the editor-in-chief position is as easy to get fired from as it used to be, because it probably doesn't carry as much power as it once did.

Look at Bob Harras, who has lasted longer as DC's editor-in-chief than he did as Marvel's, even though DC's output has some of the same flaws (and some of the same hires). And both Alonso and Harras's predecessors, Joe Quesada and Dan DiDio, didn't get fired, they got kicked upstairs.

The days when a Jim Shooter or even a Quesada could come in and change the whole editorial structure of the company, are probably over (I said probably, so I could be wrong). Even if a new editor-in-chief came along and wanted to stop the things you find worst at DC or Marvel - whatever that is - they might not have the power in today's post-Disney corporate structure. You can see some of Alonso's preferences as an editor represented in the Marvel line, but not the way Shooter or even DiDio stamped their preferences on everything. The way Marvel and DC comics are made now is bigger than any one person.

As for Brevoort I'm not even sure he would want the job. I have no inside information, but he's been very successful as an editor of individual comics working directly with creative teams, which is a very different thing from being the editor-in-chief. Harras is another example of a very successful editor who wasn't so successful as EiC, and maybe even Alonso himself, arguably. P
    I don't think Axel would be fired, more a step down type deal, moved back to editor or to another area of the company, Sana Amanat, I think no, just because she's seen as one of if not the architect of ANAD and Now!, regardless of quality, neither initiative was very successful, especially compared to past ventures by Marvel, she'll likely catch some blowback from that.

Nick Lowe, Jordan D. White, because of the success of Spidey and Star Wars, would be the more likely safe choices, unless wacker could be talked back into coming to the comics, then I think the job would be his.

A LOT! depends on Secret Empire's reception, the book could bring down holy hell on Marvel especially if the media decides that the comic and Hydra merchandise is just like promoting nazis, something the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show really didn't help them with at all, I could see a summer of pr headaches for Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Though I would also hope she could maintain stuff like line cohesiveness and character/brand consistency .
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel that right now, Marvel needs someone that restablish character/brand consistency more than anything else. The X-Men "Rebirth" was a start - albeit cursed - but it needs more. Bringing back the original characters and giving them back their spotlight should happen organically, without sacrificing the characters that were created as replacements. I know that many people online wouldn't like it, but let Spider-Man be Peter Parker. Let Iron Man be Tony Stark. Let Thor be Thor. Let Captain America be Steve Rogers eventually and Hydra free. Keep Spencer with Falcon, give Waid another run with Captain America, just like it happened after Heroes Reborn.

Make The Avengers, X-Men: Gold (Uncanny X-Men), Guardians of The Galaxy, Champions and Defenders be the core books.

The Avengers should be the main guns and the ones featured in the Marvel Studios films. Make it big, get Steve McNiven to draw a whole run. It doesn't need to come out two times a month, but it needs to be huge, the A team.

I love Mark Waid, but for Champions do something crazy like getting Gerard Way as the writer. Marvel lost big time not securing him for something like Champions, but now that ship has sailed. Champions should be Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Ironheart, Amadeus Cho, Nova and maybe even some characters from Young Avengers as leaders, my pick would be Hawkeye. Young Avengers is a silly name for a teen comic, Champions is a great one. Bringing Champions and Young Avengers together would help boost sales imho, and give a Teen Titans flavor that Marvel has always lacked.

Make Guardians an epic space opera. This is the toughest book to crack, but if Chip Zdarsky could make it as good as Star-Lord, maybe he should be the one taking a stab writing that comic.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Anyone except Tom Brevoort.

BANNED

When creative talent has run riot with their ultra-liberal political views, event titles that affect the whole line are getting delayed and causing havoc, continuity is being constantly ignored, and an islamist madman has colonised the main X-book, there's only one editor you can call on to whip things into shape!

js.jpg

Can't neuter the Shooter!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Reader View Post
    A LOT! depends on Secret Empire's reception, the book could bring down holy hell on Marvel especially if the media decides that the comic and Hydra merchandise is just like promoting nazis, something the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show really didn't help them with at all, I could see a summer of pr headaches for Marvel.
    Secret Empire is being heavily promoted as a back-to-basics kind of thing. Much of the promotion is about how the Marvel characters have done nothing but fight each other for years and now it's time for them to come together and fight HYDRA-Cap.

It's been obvious at least since the launch of All-New Marvel Now! that they're building up to another "heroes are acting like heroes again!" branding.

Whether this will work I don't know. I don't think Alonso's editorship has been notable for meat-and-potatoes, traditional superhero books. Spider-Man under Slott has been fairly traditional but that run started when Quesada was still in charge. The most acclaimed runs of the last few years have often been non-superhero books with superhero characters, like Hawkeye and Vision.

So I think maybe the test will be to see whether Marvel can turn out some traditional superhero material that doesn't feel like a rehash or pandering to older fans.

Sana Amanat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    When creative talent has run riot with their ultra-liberal political views, event titles that affect the whole line are getting delayed and causing havoc, continuity is being constantly ignored, and an islamist madman has colonised the main X-book, there's only one editor you can call on to whip things into shape!

js.jpg

Can't neuter the Shooter!
    You have to be kidding. Jim "No openly gay characters" Shooter?

I really doubt Axel is getting replaced and I don't see any reason why he should tbh.
    We need better comics

I would like some one that forces creative teams to adjust their story so it fits nicely into continuity. Or realizes that they should do a Crisis type story. Cherry pick things and essentially creat their own continuity.