Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Yes, the Sentinels were programmed to hunt down and terminate mutants. But, Sentinels _could_ technical think. This is how they continued to "evolve" themselves. This is what led to Days of Future Past, when Sentinels came to the conclusion that Humans were the problem - mutant or not - because the genetics - to exterminate all humans would remove the mutant threat. They were also tricked, in an early issue of the X-Men to fly into the sun, to try to destroy it because the sun is what caused "mutations." So they have the capability to "think" outside the box.
    Sentinels are definitely AI, so they can think to a certain extent. But I still don't consider them sentient beings capable of evil in the way living human/mutant/etc are. They are tools in the end.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    It seems like the guy who made that video has only seen the 90s animated series version of Apocalypse.
    You mean the best version?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Well she did. She was primarily defined in New Mutants , where she showed on occasion that she cared for the students and mutantkind and was willing to work with the X-men when it came to protecting them.
    When it came to protecting her interests. Are slave masters benevolent for feeding their slaves? Emma was originally shown to be a ruthless capitalist, who wanted to use and own mutants as a commodity. That's plenty evil in my book. Selfishness is at the core of evil. A lack of consideration for the will of others.

BANNED

Well she did. She was primarily defined in New Mutants , where she showed on occasion that she cared for the students and mutantkind and was willing to work with the X-men when it came to protecting them.
    Emma cared for her students primarily for her own personal gain. For instance, she took on Firestar as a student only to train her up to be an assassin to take out the Black Queen, Selene. She didn't even consider how dangerous of a fight that would've been for her student when taking into account the fact that Selene, the target she was going to point Firestar at, was immortal (meaning she's VERY hard to kill and likely impossible for FS to slay with her microwave powerset) and has quite a number of ways of her own to win a fight against Firestar. She was both willing and eager to risk her student's life by sending her into a deathmatch she could very well lose without even batting an eyelash.

In the New Mutants title, she tried to take the New Mutants away from their Headmaster, Magneto, and add them to her Hellions simply to strengthen the number of mutant children under her control. Keep in mind that the Hellions were meant to be assets of the Inner Circle to be trained up and used for the Circle's benefit once they were compentently skilled in the use of their abilities. Even when Emma did something nice for the New Mutants, she always had an ulterior motive for her own selfish reasons. An example of this would be the time she performed major psychic surgery to mend their psyches after their battle with the Beyonder. She did this so they would be grateful to her and thus making them more inclined to think well of her and join the ranks of the Hellions of their own free will. She did not do this out of simple charity because she's just such a caring person.

Regarding her caring for mutantkind, of course she did. She's a mutant. Any threat to mutantkind is a threat against her and this is a woman who has a strong sense of self-preservation.

Emma was such a GREAT villain and they should have left her as a bad guy. She was much more interesting as a bad guy than she is as a heroine.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-14-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Dear, your Emma stayed at the 80´s.. where have you been Emmawise in the last 25 years? ;-)
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Dear, your Emma stayed at the 80´s.. where have you been Emmawise in the last 25 years? ;-)
    I love Classic Emma. I thought GenX Emma was okay, but not great. I've loathed Emma ever since Morrison got to her. The topic is who are the top 10 most evil X-villains of all time. In my opinion, the Claremontian White Queen deserves to be on the list. I would place Shadow King as the number 1 most evil followed by Selene as the number 2. I'd also include Adversary, Sinister, Apocalypse, Mojo, Dark Beast, Exodus, and Dracula on my list. Honorable mention would go to The Brood.

Unlike the crap she pulled, when she switched bodies with Storm, messed with Kitty, back in the UXM130's...
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Emma was such a GREAT villain and they should have left her as a bad guy. She was much more interesting as a villain that she is as a heroine.
    I am of the same mind. She was a parallel to Charles Xavier - especially when she got her Hellions to compare to the New Mutants.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I am of the same mind. She was a parallel to Charles Xavier - especially when she got her Hellions to compare to the New Mutants.
    I agree. She lost so much of her edge when Morrison brought her into the X-Men. His version was the best in that vein, but all subsequent writers just washed her out more and more. I much prefer Claremont's original Machiavellian White Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I agree. She lost so much of her edge when Morrison brought her into the X-Men. His version was the best in that vein, but all subsequent writers just washed her out more and more. I much prefer Claremont's original Machiavellian White Queen.
    He gave her edge. She softened up in Gen X and Morrison made her more cold and b-tchy than she had been as headmistress over there

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

You mean the best version?
    No, that title belongs to the X-Factor era Apocalypse. I feel like the horsemen storyline was very watered down in that show to a genetic superhero showdown.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-15-2017 at 04:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I love Classic Emma. I thought GenX Emma was okay, but not great. I've loathed Emma ever since Morrison got to her. The topic is who are the top 10 most evil X-villains of all time. In my opinion, the Claremontian White Queen deserves to be on the list. I would place Shadow King as the number 1 most evil followed by Selene as the number 2. I'd also include Adversary, Sinister, Apocalypse, Mojo, Dark Beast, Exodus, and Dracula on my list. Honorable mention would go to The Brood.
    I have to edit my list. Belasco would definitely be in the top 10 most evil X-villains. Heck, he'd be in the top 5 along with Shadow King, Selene, Dracula, and Adversary. I don't know who'd I bump off my list to make room for him though.

He gave her edge. She softened up in Gen X and Morrison made her more cold and b-tchy than she had been as headmistress over there
    Everyone seems to forget Gen X Emma was last seen killing her sister and the police and abandoning her students to flee the country after Synch got blown up. She kicked children. Mind-controlled and kidnapped her students(exposing Husk to Toad, setting the stage for). Gen X was her liminal period. We weren't sure if she would revert back to White Queen or not, and in the end of the series, she kinda did.

Morrison turned up the British, turned up the posh, and the bitchy, which were never Emma's main characteristics. He abandoned her business and technological genius. Her strategy. She became a whimpering little girl lusting after Scott Summers. Like I said before, his X-Man Emma was the best(most entertaining), but it was still a net loss from original Emma, and to a certain extent, Gen X Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    No, that title belongs to the X-Factor era Apocalypse. I feel like the horsemen storyline was very watered down in that show to a genetic superhero showdown.
    I haven't gotten to all of the X-Factor run yet, but the very earliest version of Simonson's Apocalypse is horrible.

They might have simplified that storyline down in the first season, but they ended up distilling it to its vital elements. We still got to know Warren as this rich playboy who felt alienated by his mutation. We saw him change into this Angel of Death. And we saw him recoil at the horror of Apocalypse and help the X-Men. None of that was accomplished in the film version.

Everyone seems to forget Gen X Emma was last seen killing her sister and the police and abandoning her students to flee the country after Synch got blown up. She kicked children. Mind-controlled and kidnapped her students(exposing Husk to Toad, setting the stage for). Gen X was her liminal period. We weren't sure if she would revert back to White Queen or not, and in the end of the series, she kinda did.

Morrison turned up the British, turned up the posh, and the bitchy, which were never Emma's main characteristics. He abandoned her business and technological genius. Her strategy. She became a whimpering little girl lusting after Scott Summers. Like I said before, his X-Man Emma was the best(most entertaining), but it was still a net loss from original Emma, and to a certain extent, Gen X Emma.
    No I didnt forget that and thought of that as I wrote my post. That happened in the final issue which was to set her up to leave and join the X-men. It didnt define nor negate the previous 74 issues of her run. Her killing Adrienne was a preemptive strike to stop her from killing any more of the kids. Ironically thats the type of action, many in the X-men would later start to condone in a post M-Day world. FYI, she only killed her sister, not any cops

You are overexagearing things. She didnt kick children. She kicked one child, Leech, and that was to save him and herself from being held captive by Gene Nation. She mind contrlled and kidnapped the children to protect them. That was a side effect of Onslaught's psychic backlash. She didnt know what she was doing and it was revealed by the M twins that her subconscious had taken over to get them away from that danger. Maybe you didnt, but there was little chance of her reverting in Gen X. She showed time and time again that she had changed and was there to make up for her past mistakes with the Hellions

I haven't gotten to all of the X-Factor run yet, but the very earliest version of Simonson's Apocalypse is horrible.

They might have simplified that storyline down in the first season, but they ended up distilling it to its vital elements. We still got to know Warren as this rich playboy who felt alienated by his mutation. We saw him change into this Angel of Death. And we saw him recoil at the horror of Apocalypse and help the X-Men. None of that was accomplished in the film version.
    how far did you get bc Apocalypse in X-Factor was the only good story featuring him outside of AoA. He was an actual threat in that series and not the joke he's been made out to be in later years
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-15-2017 at 09:33 AM.