Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What recent stories will make it into the MCU?

As you know, the Marvel Cinematic Universe draws heavily on Marvel comics of the 2000s: the Ultimate universe, Civil War, The Winter Soldier, Extremis, Abnett & Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy, and more. That's partly because of when the MCU was set up and gathering material, and partly because the 2000s happened to be a period where Marvel created a lot of movie-friendly concepts.

I was trying to think of stories from the current decade that might make it into the movies, and not having as easy a time thinking of them, except recent idea that is likely to be seen in the future (possible spoiler in link). That doesn't mean there won't be recent stories that the MCU will draw on, just that they're too fresh in my mind to know.

So what stories or concepts from this decade would you predict are likely to be seen in MCU films someday? Remember, it's not about adapting whole comic storylines, just concepts and story points.
    Last edited by gurkle; 04-10-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Captain Marvel vol 1,2,3

Extraordinary Member

I'd have loved to see the God Killer run with Gorr.

It seems like a lot of the Kelly Sue Deconnick run will make it into the Captain Marvel movie, though I don't think that should be so surprising.

With the inclusion of the Black Order into Infinity War, we're already seeing influences from Hickma's Avengers run pop up.

Like most mentioned, the recent Captain Marvel runs will almost certainly be adapted for the film. And I would bet hard that Ms. Marvel would be set up in one of the Captain Marvel sequels.
    Spider-Man Homecoming seems to be borrowing a lot from Ultimate Spider-Man (both Peter & Miles' runs)

I could see once they get Fantastic Four back doing a loose adaptation of Secret Wars.
    I don't think they'll do it, but I think Avengers Standoff would be a cool idea for a film, the Avengers trapped in a mysterious prison, and gives them an excuse to bring back as many old villains as they want.

Since Marvel has stated the next phases of Marvel will be more cosmic, I think they will use some semblance of "War of Kings" as a foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Reloaded View Post
    Since Marvel has stated the next phases of Marvel will be more cosmic, I think they will use some semblance of "War of Kings" as a foundation.
    Just, y'know, without the Shi'ar or Inhumans .

Extraordinary Member

Good suggestions so far. I also wonder if the "Incursions" premise from Hickman's Avengers might turn up, even though the actual story would be too dark to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It could be sort of like a Civil War movie with a different inciting incident, no secret identies and a whole bunch of characters who weren't even active in the Marvel universe (Ant-Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye...) during the original Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Point taken, but Feige did say after the TV show was announced that the Inhumans TV show doesn't preclude a movie in phase 4.

I doubt it would happen, but I still have the hope.

Mark Waid's run on Hulk where Hulk worked with SHIELD could have worked back in phase 2.

They brought in Helen Cho for Age of Ultron so maybe they'll try bringing in Amadeus Cho? I dug his partnership with Hercules and thought it would make a good buddy movie.

Tom King's Vision run could work but it might be too much heavy material for a movie. Plus I've only read the first volume so I'm not sure where Volume 2 goes. I don't think its too continuity heavy tho.

Nick Spencer's tenure on Sam Wilson:Captain America could be adapted as a Falcon solo film. I don't think he actually needs to be Cap to make controversy as a superhero getting involved with politics but it might come off as too preachy.

Well, once Avengers 4 wraps up a lot of actor contracts will be finished so I expect to see Jane Foster (with or without the original actress) become Thor and Falcon will most likely become the new Captain America (or possibly Bucky).

I expect Ms. Marvel to show up sooner rather than later. I figure we'll meet her in the first Captain Marvel and she'll gain powers in the sequel.

I also expect Nova to get set up for a Phase 4 or early Phase 5 film. I can't shake the feeling that Thanos is going to wreck Xanadar in Infinity War, leaving Corpsman Dey wounded and following the Mad Titan to earth where he'll die just after passing the accumulated power of the Nova Corps to either Rich or Sam. Regardless of who is wearing the helmet the character will pull heavily from the last decade's worth of Nova material.

Thunderbolts. With most of the Avengers refusing to sign the Sokovia Accords and a third of the remaining members paralyzed, Thunderbolt Ross is going to need a new team of super-powered mooks to order around. And he's got a giant water prison which is (we can assume) full of the various super-villains who haven't died like Abomination. Bucky will be involved and we'll get to see a Red Hulk before it ends.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Remember, OP asks for stories from This Decade.

Fraction's Hawkeye

Young Avengers or Avengers Academy with different line-ups (i.e. popular characters like Spider-Man, Ms Marvel, Moon Girl)

Warren Ellis sci-fi take on Moon Knight
    Last edited by itspopularnowitsucks; 04-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They could easily just adapt MS. MARVEL into a film.

I think some variation of Coates current BP run could find it's way into a BP movie. Coogler seems to be a fan of Coates, and post Infinity War an abridged version of it would be easy to do.

If Secret Invasion counts as part of the last decade, I think that one potentially works as a large arc for an entire phase of movies. Similar to how the Infinity stones pop up in various movies, we could see skrulls poping up in varios solo movies leading to Avengers: Secret Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    They could easily just adapt MS. MARVEL into a film.
    I figure that's what will end up happening.

Netflix has been showing the darker, more mature side of the MCU so unless they plan on switching up the tone of their Marvel shows, Ms. Marvel is unlikely. And odds are the powers would be stretching the budget a little too much (see what I did there?).

Hulu and that streaming service that's handling New Warriors might fit the bill from a tonal perspective, if Runaways and NW are any indication. And if those guys can handle the power effects for their rosters they could probably handle Kamala. But would those venues be big enough? I'd never even heard of the one doing New Warriors.

ABC strikes me as a possibility. They can handle her powers within their budget and they're the network who has been dealing with the Inhumans. Hell, we might even see Kamala pop up in the new Inhumans show at some point, as she's more popular than the Royal family, Quake, and any other Inhuman you can think of combined. And Kamala's story does lend itself well to the slower, more personal pacing of serialized tv. If Agents of SHIELD is on its final season, ABC might be looking for a new Marvel property and they could do a hell of a lot worse than Ms. Marvel. Alternatively, if AoS does survive another season we might see Kamala there in an attempt to increase ratings, with precedence sort of set by the Secret Warriors book coming out soon.

The real question, I think, might be if Feige is willing to let that character slip through his fingers. Kamala is crazy popular, they could likely get away with a mid-level budget and still make it look amazing, and we're all expecting some shakeup in the movies when the original actors' contracts expire. The only real downside I can think of to a Ms. Marvel movie is that some regions would get a hair across their asses over a female Muslim lead (just look at the gay fiasco from Beauty and the Beast in Russia and certain parts of the American South). But a female Muslim lead is also going to generate a lot of interest in other places and a mid-level budget means it's much easier to make Kamala profitable, so the haters don't mean much.

Im thinking Phase 5 movie, myself, as the most likely place to see Kamala pop up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.