Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Niffleheim

It's mostly the MCU effect plus the Thor & Hulk combo
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

In my opinion the popularity of this trailer is simpler than that - they turned their trailer into a rock video.

It worked for Logan and it works for this: you find a cool song that mirrors the tone you want to sell to your audience, you match the beats of the visuals to the beats of the music, you put in the bare minimum of dialogue needed to sell the overall concept of the movie (Wolverine is old & all the mutants are dead for Logan, Thor's hammer has been destroyed and he's been thrown in a gladiatorial arena for this), a good punchline at the end, and you basically let the audience's imagination do the rest.

I think we're seeing a new trend in trailers. They used to use snippets of one or two tracks in a trailer, now one track gives the film its identity and takes the place of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    The way I see it, that's not what this is at all. Regardless what your personal anedoctal perceptions are, the data that I'm seeing here (not just viewings, but overall buzz via likes, comments and etc.) that people REALLY liked this trailer. I've been following box office very, very closely for more than ten years now. If Marvel Studios play their cards right, this could do what would like impossible before: getting even bigger than GotG Vol. 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Don't get me wrong, we are talking two of the biggest movies of the year here, but Ragnarok is starting to look like it could be an unlikely box office king of the superhero films this year. And it pleases me very much. Love the trailer to death, love that people are digging this and knowing Taika's work, I'm confident he will deliver.
    I am not denying it is popular. What made it seem as if I was? My personal tastes are a seperate point. I was just commenting on one of the reasons I think it is popular, and how it even works on me despite also giving me misgivings about the casting, some of the potential plot and using a piece of music I dislike. I think that the joke is what gives it a viral quality, and most viral videos are either jokes or contain an outrageous element.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-12-2017 at 03:16 AM.

My point is that what is happening with Thor: Ragnarok's trailer isn't an easy feat. Saying that something goes viral because of a joke or containing an outrageous element is not true, because if it was, neither Captain America: Civil War or Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailers wouldn't become virals like they also did. Before Thor: Ragnarok, the biggest trailer debut Disney had was Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and the biggest Marvel Studios one was Captain America: Civil War, with the presence of Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Man and the rest of the Avengers. It was also the first appearance of Spider-Man in the MCU, and yes, everyone went nuts with that trailer. But what is happening here is a tad different, allow me to explain why:

Thor and Hulk, while big hitters, always had their importance to the MCU kind of understimated outside The Avengers films. Guardians of the Galaxy's first teaser became a hit because of two things: it came out of nowhere, people didn't have any expectations whatsoever outside the fanboy following and boom, Guardians of the Galaxy became mainstream. Yes, the music mattered then and matters now, Immigrant Song's usage here was perfectly flawless, but I'd argue that's what teasers are supposed to do: not really give away plot points, but give you a taste and tease of what is to come. If Marvel plays their cards right, I think they have a colossal hit on their hands. Before Monday, I'd think that either Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 or Spider-Man: Homecoming would be the second to The Last Jedi's first spot in the box office. Right now? All bets are off. I know Taika's work and it seems to me this will become one hell of a giant hit for Marvel Studios. And deservedly so, because it looks amazing. This wasn't my most anticipated film of the year. That was Spider-Man: Homecoming. And don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for all these films, even Wonder Woman but not really Justice League. I genuinely think Marvel will succeed on making the best Thor film yet. I couldn't be happier about what Marvel Studios is doing, and that's the complete opposite about pretty much anything Marvel Comics has been doing lately.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Ultimate Member

My point is that what is happening with Thor: Ragnarok's trailer isn't an easy feat. Saying that something goes viral because of a joke or containing an outrageous element is not true, because if it was, neither Captain America: Civil War or Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailers wouldn't become virals like they also did. Before Thor: Ragnarok, the biggest trailer debut Disney had was Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and the biggest Marvel Studios one was Captain America: Civil War, with the presence of Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Man and the rest of the Avengers. It was also the first appearance of Spider-Man in the MCU, and yes, everyone went nuts with that trailer. But what is happening here is a tad different, allow me to explain why:

Thor and Hulk, while big hitters, always had their importance to the MCU kind of understimated outside The Avengers films. Guardians of the Galaxy's first teaser became a hit because of two things: it came out of nowhere, people didn't have any expectations whatsoever outside the fanboy following and boom, Guardians of the Galaxy became mainstream. Yes, the music mattered then and matters now, Immigrant Song's usage here was perfectly flawless, but I'd argue that's what teasers are supposed to do: not really give away plot points, but give you a taste and tease of what is to come. If Marvel plays their cards right, I think they have a colossal hit on their hands. Before Monday, I'd think that either Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 or Spider-Man: Homecoming would be the second to The Last Jedi's first spot in the box office. Right now? All bets are off. I know Taika's work and it seems to me this will become one hell of a giant hit for Marvel Studios. And deservedly so, because it looks amazing. This wasn't my most anticipated film of the year. That was Spider-Man: Homecoming. And don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for all these films, even Wonder Woman but not really Justice League. I genuinely think Marvel will succeed on making the best Thor film yet. I couldn't be happier about what Marvel Studios is doing, and that's the complete opposite about pretty much anything Marvel Comics has been doing lately.
    I'm not entirely surprised the trailer did so well.

It's pretty spectacular.

I also agree that this will probably be the best Thor yet and maybe Marvel's best looking movie to date.

BANNED

'Thor: Ragnarok' Trailer Is Marvel and Disney's Most Watched Ever in 24 Hours
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...4-hours-992978

Let that sink in for a second there: more views than ANY Marvel and Disney films in 24 hours. More views than Civil War. More views than The Force Awakens. More views than Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. More views than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

This is INDEED the best Marvel trailer ever. BRILLIANT JOB, Marvel Studios.
    I hope someone from Disney is reading this because I got two words for 'em..... You're welcome.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Did anybody else notice Thor is using a mace in the trailer.

I say that because with his hammer presumably out of commission I'm wondering if that's the MCU Thuderstrike. If it also leads to a revival of Thunderstrike in the comics I wont complain. That trailer is fantastic BTW.
    Looks more like Hercules's mace from the comics than Thunderstrike.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

'Thor: Ragnarok' Trailer Is Marvel and Disney's Most Watched Ever in 24 Hours
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...4-hours-992978

Let that sink in for a second there: more views than ANY Marvel and Disney films in 24 hours. More views than Civil War. More views than The Force Awakens. More views than Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. More views than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

This is INDEED the best Marvel trailer ever. BRILLIANT JOB, Marvel Studios.
    INCREDIBLE, Really Marvel has done Amazing with this Trailer and the build-up to this Thor Movie!

Thanks for this Ijacksparrow Allot and thanks for the Money Quote from it as well!

But Also THIS Money Quote as well.

"It becomes the not only the most viewed Marvel trailer ever, but also the studio's most viewed trailer ever across all its brands, which includes Disney's live-action and animation divisions, Pixar, Star Wars, as well as Marvel."
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

effortlessly stopping Mjolnir with one hand and without looking!?

destroying it immediately after!?

is Hela THIS powerful!?

The trailer looks great! Thor vs Hulk! Hela vs Thor!

Hela fought Thor very hard in the comics, but I never saw her destroy Mjolnir.

I think it's just a matter of them having to condense things, as usual with movies, to move things along. Rolling what other characters in the comics did into her character, otherwise the movies would not get to this point in any sort of reasonable timeframe. also, just that, though the movies are inspired by the comics, the movies and comics are just different in some ways, they were never going to mirror the comics exactly, and we just have to roll with that.

Since i was apparently on one of my CBR hiatuses when this thread came around the first time, just wanted to say I loved the trailer, i thought it was a lot of badass fun, and the song choice was perfect. When that driving bass line started, i was like 'hell yeah, about time they used Immigrant Song!' loved it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Am I the only person that isn't looking forward to Blanchett as Hela? I really don't want to see her reprieve her Galadriel performance, that was so uninspired, and I am not remembering a performance of hers I actually enjoyed.
    Blanchett is fine, but I m sitting this one out- Thor 2 was spoiled by the silly humour for me, and now this is going to be an all out comedy. I also dont like the way the director has treated Portman and Alexander; the former sacked and the latter reduced to a bit part. Add to that the fact that he responded to a critic on Twitter by making a farting noise and he sounds like another Rick Remender. I ll stick to the comics is future. Miss Hiddleston s Loki though.