Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Till Grayson it quite frankly made little sense why he wasn't also on a team somewhere. He was their highest selling character not on the JL. So u would think they would want to further market him and put him on team somewhere. Though at the same time, what team?
    I think that the first part of this post answers the second part. What type of team? They type of team that has Dick on it. The man sells.

This basically should have been a situation like when DC was asking different creators to pitch a Dick-as-a-secret-agent story. They should asked various creators to pitch a Dick-led team book, taken the best one, and promoted the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    I think that the first part of this post answers the second part. What type of team? They type of team that has Dick on it. The man sells.

This basically should have been a situation like when DC was asking different creators to pitch a Dick-as-a-secret-agent story. They should asked various creators to pitch a Dick-led team book, taken the best one, and promoted the hell out of it.
    It's so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Till Grayson it quite frankly made little sense why he wasn't also on a team somewhere. He was their highest selling character not on the JL. So u would think they would want to further market him and put him on team somewhere. Though at the same time, what team?
    Maybe there were plans for him on Justice League International given he showed up there through Batwing once, but I don't know. I'm just surprised they didn't do something with him on a team earlier given everything they were sort of just throwing at a wall seeing if it would stick.

I was just looking through all the characters DC regularly uses (they at least appear in something every month or every other month) and it is pretty much just down to Nightwing, Hex, and Batwoman who haven't been involved in some type of team yet who are still around since the New 52 began. I just found that really surprising that the list was so small.

Not having Dick lead or be on a team is just wasteful, Dick alone sells like hotcakes.

Also there has to be more than just three heroes that haven't been on a team in New 52.
    Last edited by byrd156; 07-09-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Well those are the only three who have been at least fairly active since the start of the reboot that I can think of. You have characters like Voodoo who haven't but they aren't really around anymore.

Also early in the reboot Nightwing wasn't selling great. It was doing okay I think, but it was in the same range as a Red Lanterns book. So books like Batwoman and Batgirl were doing much better than it. So maybe early on in the reboot they didn't think there was much market for the character when he went back to Nightwing after being Batman. I think it is just over the course of the reboot more stuck with Nightwing's book as time went on. So I guess he had more loyal readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Well those are the only three who have been at least fairly active since the start of the reboot that I can think of. You have characters like Voodoo who haven't but they aren't really around anymore.

Also early in the reboot Nightwing wasn't selling great. It was doing okay I think, but it was in the same range as a Red Lanterns book. So books like Batwoman and Batgirl were doing much better than it. So maybe early on in the reboot they didn't think there was much market for the character when he went back to Nightwing after being Batman. I think it is just over the course of the reboot more stuck with Nightwing's book as time went on. So I guess he had more loyal readers.
    I think Dick has one of the more loyal fan-bases than most other heroes including DC and Marvel.

Early in the reboot Nightwing sold comparative to Batwoman.They basically debuted around same, give or take. While Batgirl came down to around the same numbers as Nightwing by the 4th issue.

I think it was just a combination of them not knowing what team he would fit, and there being too many Bat fish in the sea.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-09-2014 at 05:32 AM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I think Dick has one of the more loyal fan-bases than most other heroes including DC and Marvel.
    I agree with this 1000%, but after reading Grayson he is doing incredibly great solo but it wouldn't hurt seeing him "mentor" a young team like the Teen Titans or dare I say Gen 13.
    Last edited by red winter; 07-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.

This isn't exactly true. Both books started at a lower initial starting point because they weren't really promoted (heck, I can't recall Nightwing being promoted at ALL during the run) but, in that same breath, they also were two of the three most consistent sellers among the titles (least reader turn over, with the third being GLC if I recall correctly).

Dick not being on a team probably had to do with a combination of not knowing what was being kept in the reboot, and pretty much every other Bat character already being on a team (Batman - JL, Red Hood - Outlaws; Red Robin - Teen Titans; Batgirl - Birds of Prey).
    Last edited by Just Is; 07-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    Pulling: Spider-Gwen, All New Captain America, Ms Marvel, Secret Six, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Grayson, Batman, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, A-Force, Cyborg, Starfire

BANNED

I'm not in a hurry to see him on a team at the moment. Even in the Titans, most storylines revolved around Raven, Donna, or Kory. We need to concentrate on Dick himself for awhile.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

He's on a team. It's called Spyral. They're a team of spies.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I wouldn't really want him on a Titans team. I don't think you can remove all his history then just stick him on some makeshift Titans team again after doing that. It would have to be some type of Outsiders team or a JLU/JSA team since he wouldn't be on the main JL team. Although even in the Future's End and 5 ears Later story someone like Roy is apparently on the JL and Dick is just stuck in Russia somewhere. I hope that doesn't mean for the next 5 in-comic years he is still stuck on the outside. xD

And also even if the character wasn't on a team officially I was just surprised he wasn't involved on a team for a few issues or an arc at least somewhere given how much DC just used characters here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    He's on a team. It's called Spyral. They're a team of spies.
    Not really a team, I think he means in the sense of working with other heroes.

At this point, I do not think Dick needs to be mentoring anyone yet or being in any Titan-like team with the debut of Grayson. I love to see him solo and with a chance to build his world outside of Gotham.

If he can no longer gain the allies he lost in pre-52, at least being in Spyral gives him the opportunity to forge new bonds, create new allies outside the Bat universe as well as clash with villains he has not encountered before. That fight with Midnighter has a lot of potential to grow more.......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness Fatale View Post
    At this point, I do not think Dick needs to be mentoring anyone yet or being in any Titan-like team with the debut of Grayson. I love to see him solo and with a chance to build his world outside of Gotham.

If he can no longer gain the allies he lost in pre-52, at least being in Spyral gives him the opportunity to forge new bonds, create new allies outside the Bat universe as well as clash with villains he has not encountered before. That fight with Midnighter has a lot of potential to grow more.......
    I'd like to see Ninel and the teddy bears again.