Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Marvel should make Valkyrie look like she does in the movie

Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

No, it looks like that you wants every Marvel original character looks like their MCU counterparts, and this is just absurd and ridiculous in a lot of ways. No, thanks, if you wants that, itīs your choice, not mine. I like Tessa Thompson as an actress and sure she would looks good on Thor: Ragnarok but not to move in to the comics.

For me, this is the only Valkyrie I know and I grew reading the books she was on. It is not necessary changing the race of a character for the sake of it, Diversity yes, but only with Original and New Characters not with the Established ones.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, but I have what I think it's a more poignant reason: the same one why Nick Fury looking just like MCU's Nick Fury - despite the execution of what could be quite a good story fell flat - is a great idea. Brand recognisability matters, and I think that not only Valkyrie should look just like Tessa Thompson, but Heimdall as well. I'm not sure what is Tessa Thompson's character's name, but if she's Brunnhilde, I'm certain that Jason Aaron could find a way to explain the change. This film will breakout hard, so having Valkyrie looking like she looks on Thor: Ragnarok (both when it comes to Tessa's likeness and costume) will benefit the comics in the long run.

There's no reason for Valkyrie or Heimdall to keep being white. Their most famous iterations are already quite different than the old comics. So deal with that.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Extraordinary Member

Well, no.
    I am. on board if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just pointless and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-11-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, no.
    It's fine if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just dumb and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    I'd argue that if she IS playing Brunnhilde, they certainly should change her. It's not like Valkyrie is that well known to begin with.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    I've missed this bit of your post and this is an amazing call. Has Heimdall been spotted too? Because that would be the perfect opportunity to change him as well. Anyone knows?
    Pull list:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, but I have what I think it's a more poignant reason: the same one why Nick Fury looking just like MCU's Nick Fury - despite the execution of what could be quite a good story fell flat - is a great idea. Brand recognisability matters, and I think that not only Valkyrie should look just like Tessa Thompson, but Heimdall as well. I'm not sure what is Tessa Thompson's character's name, but if she's Brunnhilde, I'm certain that Jason Aaron could find a way to explain the change. This film will breakout hard, so having Valkyrie looking like she looks on Thor: Ragnarok (both when it comes to Tessa's likeness and costume) will benefit the comics in the long run.

There's no reason for Valkyrie or Heimdall to keep being white. Their most famous iterations are already quite different than the old comics. So deal with that.
    Like she gets her soul trapped in a girl who looks just like Tessa Thompson? They should just create a new Valkyrie like Moonstar.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Like she gets her soul trapped in a girl who looks just like Tessa Thompson? They should just create a new Valkyrie like Moonstar.
    Actually Silvermoth has given the perfect explanation for that. Since it's quite certain that she wasn't even seen after Secret Wars, when the world restarted she now just isn't white anymore. Not sure if Heimdall has shown up, but if he didn't, they should do the same with him.
    Pull list:

Ultimate Member

I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.
    Nah that I wouldn't like. If Tessa is Brunnhilde, Brunnhilde should look like her. Especially if she's absent since before Secret Wars.
    Pull list:

Colorblind casting of Scandinavian deities (even Marvel versions) is something I'll never agree with. There are plenty of other ways to add in diversity without these absurd choices. As a fan of the source material, all I want is a reasonable modern representation of what Lee and Kirby created and I'd welcome any NEW additions that added diversity to the mix.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Nah that I wouldn't like. If Tessa is Brunnhilde, Brunnhilde should look like her. Especially if she's absent since before Secret Wars.
    There are a lot of characters that are absent since Secret Wars, Should they just disappear because they arenīt on Movies?

I found it a very poor argument to discuss.

And because Valkyrie looks different on the Movie than in the Comics, it would be so pathetic and a lack of respect for what the character was originally created even if you would have an argument to make that a real thing.
    Last edited by Charlie_1981; 04-11-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Valkyrie has actually appeared in a post secret wars title it was patsy walker aka hellcat it was issue two of the series it was really brief though and yes she's still white and blonde.

Ultimate Member

In the comics isn't Brunnhilde in like her third body now? Or am I getting something confused?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

You guys do understand that movies do not generate new readers, right?

The MCU has been chugging along, elevating the popularity of comic book material for nearly ten years. Still there has been no massive influx of new readers for Marvel. People do not watch these movies and then sprint for the nearest comic store in order to read everything there is to read about the characters they just saw. Not in any significant numbers anyway.

If the movies were pulling in new comics fans, Iron Man would be one of Marvel's consistent top sellers. It isn't. Dr. Strange's movie did nothing to make his book sell better. Guardians of the Galaxy? Same story.

Why should Marvel radically alter their long-term characters to accommodate these nonexistent new readers?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--