Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marvel should make Valkyrie look like she does in the movie

Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

No, it looks like that you wants every Marvel original character looks like their MCU counterparts, and this is just absurd and ridiculous in a lot of ways. No, thanks, if you wants that, it´s your choice, not mine. I like Tessa Thompson as an actress and sure she would looks good on Thor: Ragnarok but not to move in to the comics.

For me, this is the only Valkyrie I know and I grew reading the books she was on. It is not necessary changing the race of a character for the sake of it, Diversity yes, but only with Original and New Characters not with the Established ones.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, but I have what I think it's a more poignant reason: the same one why Nick Fury looking just like MCU's Nick Fury - despite the execution of what could be quite a good story fell flat - is a great idea. Brand recognisability matters, and I think that not only Valkyrie should look just like Tessa Thompson, but Heimdall as well. I'm not sure what is Tessa Thompson's character's name, but if she's Brunnhilde, I'm certain that Jason Aaron could find a way to explain the change. This film will breakout hard, so having Valkyrie looking like she looks on Thor: Ragnarok (both when it comes to Tessa's likeness and costume) will benefit the comics in the long run.

There's no reason for Valkyrie or Heimdall to keep being white. Their most famous iterations are already quite different than the old comics. So deal with that.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Extraordinary Member

Well, no.
    I am. on board if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just pointless and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-11-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, no.
    It's fine if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just dumb and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    I'd argue that if she IS playing Brunnhilde, they certainly should change her. It's not like Valkyrie is that well known to begin with.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Astonishing Member

Well, no.
    I am. on board if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just pointless and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    I highly doubt she's playing Brunnhilde simply because they've only referred to her as Valkyrie thus far. There's no reason to hide her name as the character isn't big enough for a reveal to be some kind of reward.

Well, no.
    I don't think she is supposed to be Brunnhilde at all, honestly... the other valkyrie that pushes her out of the way of Hela's attack in her traumatic flashback looks exactly like classic Defenders Brunnhilde, in fact.

Now, I wouldn't mind if they changed comics Brunnhilde to resemble her, mind you... as others have stated, there are plenty of ways in which it could be explained, especially considering Brunnhilde's past history of 'borrowing' mortal bodies. However, it might be even better to introduce a new MU character along the lines of Thompson's Scrapper #142, a rogue valkyrie (or possibly even Disir) roaming the spaceways.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I don't think she is supposed to be Brunnhilde at all, honestly... the other valkyrie that pushes her out of the way of Hela's attack in her traumatic flashback looks exactly like classic Defenders Brunnhilde, in fact.
    Her personality really couldn't have been more different from Brunnhilde's either, they're almost polar opposites. Valkyrie is often portrayed as an all-business, stone cold warrior that would make Frank Castle blush. (SPOILERS) The portrayal of Scrapper as a drunk/defeated/no reason to care, bounty hunter with no loyalties and a penchant for self destruction is basically the antithesis of Brunnhildes imposing, never-wavering shield maiden

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, but I have what I think it's a more poignant reason: the same one why Nick Fury looking just like MCU's Nick Fury - despite the execution of what could be quite a good story fell flat - is a great idea. Brand recognisability matters, and I think that not only Valkyrie should look just like Tessa Thompson, but Heimdall as well. I'm not sure what is Tessa Thompson's character's name, but if she's Brunnhilde, I'm certain that Jason Aaron could find a way to explain the change. This film will breakout hard, so having Valkyrie looking like she looks on Thor: Ragnarok (both when it comes to Tessa's likeness and costume) will benefit the comics in the long run.

There's no reason for Valkyrie or Heimdall to keep being white. Their most famous iterations are already quite different than the old comics. So deal with that.
    Like she gets her soul trapped in a girl who looks just like Tessa Thompson? They should just create a new Valkyrie like Moonstar.

Like she gets her soul trapped in a girl who looks just like Tessa Thompson? They should just create a new Valkyrie like Moonstar.
    Actually Silvermoth has given the perfect explanation for that. Since it's quite certain that she wasn't even seen after Secret Wars, when the world restarted she now just isn't white anymore. Not sure if Heimdall has shown up, but if he didn't, they should do the same with him.
    Pull list:

Ultimate Member

I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.

Extraordinary Member

Actually Silvermoth has given the perfect explanation for that. Since it's quite certain that she wasn't even seen after Secret Wars, when the world restarted she now just isn't white anymore. Not sure if Heimdall has shown up, but if he didn't, they should do the same with him.
    Heimdall is still around in Mighty Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    I've missed this bit of your post and this is an amazing call. Has Heimdall been spotted too? Because that would be the perfect opportunity to change him as well. Anyone knows?
    Pull list:

I've missed this bit of your post and this is an amazing call. Has Heimdall been spotted too? Because that would be the perfect opportunity to change him as well. Anyone knows?
    Why are you calling for her race to be changed. If this was a minority character everyone would be in uproar if the same was suggested. There isn't any difference between one race change and the other. And diversity isn't the issue. If it's a problem for the Ancient One to be race changed then everyone of them should be also. I would like thing to be as close to the source material as possible. I assume Tessa Thompson did a fantastic job and beat out the competition. Thus becoming Valkyrie. Changing the comic is unnecessary and it shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Why are you calling for her race to be changed. If this was a minority character everyone would be in uproar if the same was suggested. There isn't any difference between one race change and the other. And diversity isn't the issue. If it's a problem for the Ancient One to be race changed then everyone of them should be also. I would like thing to be as close to the source material as possible. I assume Tessa Thompson did a fantastic job and beat out the competition. Thus becoming Valkyrie. Changing the comic is unnecessary and it shouldn't happen.
    Because it's meaningless to who the character is and it's good for the brand that more diverse characters show up, especially when they become the most well known version of the character.
    Pull list: