Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why Not A Female Captain America - Roberta Mendez?

Why not have a women be Captain America now? Steve Rogers can’t be that person now. Captain Marvel could replace Cap at the moment, and her costume is almost the right colours, but she needs white. But Carol Danvers had to leave Earth after Secret Empire and go to space for whatever she did in that Event. Which leaves it open for someone like Roberta Mendez to take over the role. If Thor was such a success with a woman, why not Cap? I’ve read Spider-Man 2099, and I think Roberta was a pretty good Captain America. (You get Angela, Thor and Roberta together - that would make an awesome team).

Why I suggest this is because, it would be a good transition between Steve’s discovery tour of America, and having someone fill the void Steve leaves. I like the idea that Roberta has a split personality, that the government can manipulate, and there is plenty of potential for Roberta discovering 2018 America, coming from an Alternate future. I know Steve Rogers comes back for a crisis Avengers event in January, but he may just jump into that like he did in Siege, and disappear this time, still uncertain about if anybody can trust him. But Roberta has no strings attached to her, either in her future, or by the public in 2018. We’ve had Cap according to the WWII legend, the sidekick Bucky version, and the African American Cap. What about this new take on Captain America? Roberta already exists and has had experience in the role already?

BANNED

They should bring back Captain America Corps. Caps everywhere, as far as the eyes can see!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curlytop View Post
    They should bring back Captain America Corps. Caps everywhere, as far as the eyes can see!
    That would be perfect, and this time, it would include Dani Cage (from Al Ewing's Avengers 20XX), Roberta Mendez from 2099 as mentioned by the OP, and Samantha Wilson from Spider-Gwen's universe, along with Shannon Carter/American Dream and maybe Sharon Rogers from Marvel Future Fight. Maybe we could even get a reality where Peggy Carter (who was really an American in the original comics) became Captain America. The only question is who their ultimate foe would be --- the Red Skull? Superia again? Or maybe "Stevil" Rogers, HYDRA-Cap?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

as long as she's subject to the same prejudice as Sam-Cap was, I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Why not have a women be Captain America now? Steve Rogers can’t be that person now.
    Why can't Steve Rogers be Captain America now?

The Waid & Samnee Cap title with Steve is the only Marvel comic book I'm buying these days.

Incredible Member

I really liked the Roberta Mendez in the 2099 series and think a Cap 2099 series or Avengers 2099 series would be great, but for Gods sake could we stop with the overdone replacing Steve Rogers storyline? It would be what the fifth time he was replaced?

Didn't they have female Captain Americas in the MC2 comics and USAvengers?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why can't Steve Rogers be Captain America now?
    [/SIZE]
    Especially as they JUST brought him back in his classic form after what seems like more than a decade out in the proverbial woods.

Adding a second Captain America, female or otherwise, is fine as long as the original isn't sidelined yet again.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I don't think Steve should retire and pass the shield again. It would feel like way too soon for that kind of thing to be done again. That being said, I freaking LOVED Roberta as Cap 2099 and I would love to read more stories with her, whether in the 2099 universe or in the 616. I don't really care; just give me Roberta in any book!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be perfect, and this time, it would include Dani Cage (from Al Ewing's Avengers 20XX), Roberta Mendez from 2099 as mentioned by the OP, and Samantha Wilson from Spider-Gwen's universe, along with Shannon Carter/American Dream and maybe Sharon Rogers from Marvel Future Fight. Maybe we could even get a reality where Peggy Carter (who was really an American in the original comics) became Captain America. The only question is who their ultimate foe would be --- the Red Skull? Superia again? Or maybe "Stevil" Rogers, HYDRA-Cap?
    I don't personally care for Sharon Rogers as a character, but BOY do I love her Starlight costume! I would love to see it in the comics again (image below is from a digital short comic that takes place in the MFF universe). It doesn't even need to be worn by her. Just reutilize the awesome futuristic design and give it to another star-spangled-hero.

What about American dream? Marvels sells Halloween costumes of her so why not use her in something! (shocked she has not been in any cartoons yet.)

[IMG][/IMG]

You could team her up with the female bucky!

[IMG][/IMG]

Incredible Member

Can we just have Steve Rogers back as Cap for a bit before we start this?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Didn't they have female Captain Americas in the MC2 comics and USAvengers?
    And Spider-Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't personally care for Sharon Rogers as a character, but BOY do I love her Starlight costume! I would love to see it in the comics again (image below is from a digital short comic that takes place in the MFF universe). It doesn't even need to be worn by her. Just reutilize the awesome futuristic design and give it to another star-spangled-hero.

Funny thing about that Future Fight comic - the line "don't harm a hair on her head" was used... and a few pages later, she cut her hair. lol

Incredible Member

Honestly they just need to give it a rest with other people taking up the Captain America mantle for a bit. i'm not saying don't ever do it but i think having two people replace steve (three if you count hydracap) within 5-7 years is overkill.

Why not just make it a spin off book like supergirl?