Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I mean, they apparently have out-of-nowhere changed Heimdall to look like his movie version so I wouldn't put it past them to try and make Brunnhilde into Tessa's Valkyrie, but given that Valkyrie wasn't even named as Brunnhilde and they could just as easily just introduce a new Valk in the same vein as MCU Valkyrie I would hope the former situation doesn't happen.

Incredible Member

I assumed in the movie that the blonde Valkyrie that took the blade meant for Tessa Thompson was a nod to the comic version of the character. I do not mind another Valkyrie being introduced to the comics, because Valkyrie is a title, not someones name, unlike Thor. I always thought it was ridiculous to have Jane as Thor (although her book is pretty good), because it is a guys name, and not a rank or title. Do not even get me started on the silliness of the Thor Corps! Please leave the Brunnhilde version of the character alone. Introduce other Valkyries all you want.

Amazing Member

No, Brunhilde should absolutely stay as is. If they want to examine a Valkyrie visually similar to Tessa there is nothing in cannon that prevents them from doing so.

That said, the comics should be the source for the movies, not the other way around. As popular as the movies are they would never be the juggernaut they have become if it weren't for the rich mythos, iconic designs, stories and character recognition driven by the books. Even though comics arent selling well now the audience familiar with their lore is a huge part of what has driven the excitement for these movies. Changing 616 bit by bit every time a new one-off event happens in the MCU would be a foolish mishandling of canon and would devalue much of what made Marvels mythos so valuable in the first place. Also even if increased synergy between the books and movies did help, Marvel clearly tossed that out the window a few years ago. There are FAR bigger issues than 3rd tier characters not lining up (looking at you, entire Avengers lineup).

Nah, I think if they have to have that movie synergy just introduce her as another Valkyrie. Besides the appearance, the personality and background were very different from the original Marvel comics character. Nothing against Tessa, I thought she was wonderful in the movie, and look forward to seeing her in future installments.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

We don't need them to change brunhildes race, we don't even need a new female Asgardian token created.
    How about they actually do something with the female Asgardian characters they have instead of creating new ones from movie synergy or creating female versions of the male ones. Dani moonstar is native American and she's a Valkyrie, but has been sidelined for so long and is now wallpaper in different books, zephyr a wind goddess and Sera a sorceress are dark skinned but unused, Angela, Keldra, Sif, brunhilde, hildegarde, amora, lorelei have all become wallpaper.
    Marvel should first make use of the female characters they have instead of creating new ones that will be pushed for a few months then sent to sit at the back with the other wallpaper, until another movie comes out and they decide to create a new Token character based on a movie character.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    We don't need them to change brunhildes race, we don't even need a new female Asgardian token created.
    How about they actually do something with the female Asgardian characters they have instead of creating new ones from movie synergy or creating female versions of the male ones. Dani moonstar is native American and she's a Valkyrie, but has been sidelined for so long and is now wallpaper in different books, zephyr a wind goddess and Sera a sorceress are dark skinned but unused, Angela, Keldra, Sif, brunhilde, hildegarde, amora, lorelei have all become wallpaper.
    Marvel should first make use of the female characters they have instead of creating new ones that will be pushed for a few months then sent to sit at the back with the other wallpaper, until another movie comes out and they decide to create a new Token character based on a movie character.
    I agree. I have always thought Brunhilde and Dani were both criminally underutilized characters, they are both unique and exciting but it seems that outside of rare occasions every ten years or so Marvel just completely ignores them. I'm sure the same could be said for some of the others you listed but these two have always been a big draw for me personally and I cant help but think they have all the makings to be a top tier character in a corner of the Marvel universe.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I assumed in the movie that the blonde Valkyrie that took the blade meant for Tessa Thompson was a nod to the comic version of the character. I do not mind another Valkyrie being introduced to the comics, because Valkyrie is a title, not someones name, unlike Thor. I always thought it was ridiculous to have Jane as Thor (although her book is pretty good), because it is a guys name, and not a rank or title. Do not even get me started on the silliness of the Thor Corps! Please leave the Brunnhilde version of the character alone. Introduce other Valkyries all you want.
    Exactly, especially on the bolded. Brunnhilde was probably killed by Hela. Tessa Thompson is just the lone survivor of that battle, I assume. And IIRC Thor said to her when he saw the tattoo on her arm "You're a Valkyrie" as opposed to the Valkyrie.

Just a quick glance at the Wiki on their mythology, they did have names like Mist, Skuld, Hildr, Gondul, etc. Just giver her character a name that's all. She can be *fill in the blank" the Valkyrie or the Last Valkyrie
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.
    Now this I can agree with as it shows that the Valkyrie are a legion of many and not just one being representing them.

FYI, her father is of Afro-Panamanian descent and her mother is of Mexican and European descent so she has Euro in her so let her be The Valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Media synergy has ALWAYS been with us, dating from the 40s. If it works, it becomes a classic (i.e. Inspector Henderson, and other classic Superman aspects). If it doesn't, it doesn't. Only way to see is to try it out.
    Except it's much different now than in the 40s. This isn't giving Superman flight because the cartoons did it. It isn't adding anything. It's just deconstructing and remorphing a character with an established history and fanbase to appease a temporary crowd that largely doesn't buy the books.

You have to see it from a fan's perspective. People will be complacent to it until it's a character they like.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

The way I see a new Valkyrie will show up and the other one will fall into limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    The way I see a new Valkyrie will show up and the other one will fall into limbo.
    I don't think we need to have Brunnhilde fall into limbo.

I mean, Nadia is movie synergy Wasp, but we still have Jan around, more or less.

I'd hate for them to pull a Nick Fury here...

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Come to think of it a good way to introduce her is through a new team book with Hulk, Thor, and Loki. There's a free idea Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we need to have Brunnhilde fall into limbo.

I mean, Nadia is movie synergy Wasp, but we still have Jan around, more or less.

I'd hate for them to pull a Nick Fury here...
    I mean I don't want her to fall into limbo but Marvel has a one track mind with these things. The Nick Fury example is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Come to think of it a good way to introduce her is through a new team book with Hulk, Thor, and Loki. There's a free idea Marvel.
    Watch them trademark "Revengers" .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Except it's much different now than in the 40s. This isn't giving Superman flight because the cartoons did it. It isn't adding anything. It's just deconstructing and remorphing a character with an established history and fanbase to appease a temporary crowd that largely doesn't buy the books.
    Hah. Don't play that. You don't know if it's different until afterwards.

And...people are people. Not that different from then until now.

You have to see it from a fan's perspective. People will be complacent to it until it's a character they like.
    I AM a fan. YOU should see it from a fan's perspective. If it works, it works.