Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Uh huh, black Valkyrie is a priority in case movie fans who don't want to read comics get confused about comics. Yet Iron Man being a black girl in the comics and Tony in a coma is perfectly ok... Movie fans will totally get that but Valkyrie is too confusing for them oh gosh.

Fantastic Member

I have yet to see Thor Ragnarok but I'm not with changing Valkyrie in the comics to fit the silver screen version. I understand that there hasn't been many characters of color in the past but some of this after while is just becoming downright lazy. Is it really that hard to come up with an original character?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    I have yet to see Thor Ragnarok but I'm not with changing Valkyrie in the comics to fit the silver screen version. I understand that there hasn't been many characters of color in the past but some of this after while is just becoming downright lazy. Is it really that hard to come up with an original character?
    I would agree about whether it's "really that hard to come up with an original character".
    But, on the other hand, I realize there are also too many lazy comic book shop owners and readers/"fans" that make it difficult for brand-new characters to really catch on. The Kamala Khan's are more the exception than the rule.

Perhaps if Marvel brings the movie version of Valkyrie to the comic books as a Valkyrie but doesn't use her to replace "classic" comic book Valkyrie we'd have a chance to see how she does. (Maybe even pair up movie-version of Valkyrie with Angela?)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would agree about whether it's "really that hard to come up with an original character".
    But, on the other hand, I realize there are also too many lazy comic book shop owners and readers/"fans" that make it difficult for brand-new characters to really catch on. The Kamala Khan's are more the exception than the rule.

Perhaps if Marvel brings the movie version of Valkyrie to the comic books as a Valkyrie but doesn't use her to replace "classic" comic book Valkyrie we'd have a chance to see how she does. (Maybe even pair up movie-version of Valkyrie with Angela?)

Lazy comic book shop owners and fans? There's always been some resistance and yet it hasn't stopped creators before. I think the fault lies on both sides but anyway, Marvel Comics and Marvel Cinematic functions as two separate entities. I rarely if ever see them work together for a mutual benefit.

Now I'm against the silver screen version because the lore of Valkyrie is from Scandinavia and Norway which Tessa Thompson doesn't represent. However, it's not to say that she may have been orphaned and adopted by the Valkyor. Again, I understand that the producers that are incorporating diversity because traditionally these comics were mostly white, but Asgard is a product of Norse Myths so I'm cool with that.

I'm just not cool with comic movies these days just colorizing characters when there's no need to. To each his own.

Incredible Member

Lazy comic book fans. Wow. Once again, I have to mention...LOWER YOUR PRICES. I would like to try some new titles out, but paying $5 a pop for a single comic in Canada is stupid expensive. I am a fan. Just not one with a huge amount of disposable income to spend on comics. A lot of DC comics have a lower price tag, too bad Marvel refuses to follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Lazy comic book fans. Wow. Once again, I have to mention...LOWER YOUR PRICES. I would like to try some new titles out, but paying $5 a pop for a single comic in Canada is stupid expensive. I am a fan. Just not one with a huge amount of disposable income to spend on comics. A lot of DC comics have a lower price tag, too bad Marvel refuses to follow suit.
    What I mean by "lazy" in terms of both comic book shop owners and fans is those who will mainly/only buy the "big name" characters' books, whether or not they're truly enjoying them or not. Sometimes, instead of paying for yet another X-book that isn't being enjoyed by the reader, maybe they could use that money and try something different. (Wouldn't be an "added expense" if they try something in place of what they "want" but aren't happy with.)
    If

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'm on the fence on if synergy leads to any meaningful increase in sales. I doubt that the average person wants to read comics after seeing the movie, but I do think there are already nerdy people might take the chance. Heck, this may seem like comic book fan blasphemy but I picked up the AN GoTG comic because I became an fan of the team after the movie. I'm glad the current book is as humorous and is similar to the films.

I'll say this it helps to use most iconic versions of characters, though personalities matters more than appearance. On a side note, how many people opposed are actually fans of Valkyrie? Is this an character with an actual fan following?

I don't mind changing characters to better resemble their movie counterparts. If the stories are strong then I won't mind at all. Having the connection to the films can only help sales I'd think. If changes need to be made, I'd rather the older characters be replaced rather than just making a character a different ethnicity. What was done with Miles Morales was brilliant. Hopefully he gets his own film at some point.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-08-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post

I'll say this it helps to use most iconic versions of characters, though personalities matters more than appearance. On a side note, how many people opposed are actually fans of Valkyrie? Is this an character with an actual fan following?
    I'm absolutely a fan of Valkyrie. I'm aware that I'm likely not in any sort of majority there but the fact of the matter is Brunhilde has the stuff to make for a much more successful character than Marvel has utilized her. She has a well established history filled with tragedy, triumphs, romance and character developments and its a shame they haven't made better use of her over the past few years. I would have rather seen Valkyrie take over Thors book in place of Jane 100x over and I bet that move would have been well received

honestly Val has been a few different people already so sure go for it. or just have her be another member of the corp. It is not like there was ever supposed to be just one.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybourbon View Post
    I would have rather seen Valkyrie take over Thors book in place of Jane 100x over and I bet that move would have been well received
    Eh, maybe but I honestly doubt it.

have marvel said anything whatsoever about tessa thompson valkyrie? are they making any plans for her?

i too loved the ragnarok valkyrie and am very interested in reading original stories about her. why are marvel doing this? it is a crime this opportunity is not being pursued. with so many cries for diversity, they have a great original character who movie audiences are loving.

it makes NO sense why she is not published immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    it makes NO sense why she is not published immediately.
    Well, it does takes months to create a comic book (unless you put a bunch of hacks on it and don't care about little things like "quality").

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, it does takes months to create a comic book (unless you put a bunch of hacks on it and don't care about little things like "quality").
    Then it fits right in with Marvel.

Let me just say...HELL TO THE NO!
    I love the movies but what happens in the MCU should stay in the MCU, i have had it with Marvel trying to sync up the comics with the movies when it should be the reverse.
    No, the Valkyrie we have now should, must not be changed to match.