Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Tessa Thompson is a beautiful woman but I think Marvel would be better off creating a new Valkyrie that resembles the MCU version.

I think that's just the simpler way of handling stuff like this.
    Of course, it would be better, I thought the same thing.

Create a new character that is part of the Valkyrior (a different valkyrie) that more or less resembles the MCU version and keep the original and more known version of the comics around or make that version human and being Valkyrie´s apprentice and a new member of the Valkyrior.

Haven't read the whole thread but there is no need for a new Valkrie. Or to make the blond Valkorie look like movie Valk. Marvel could just push Danielle Moonstar in movie Valks Costume to solve the problem. Danielle isn't black but its still a diverse choice with an actual history to Thor and Valkyries.

But still give the orginal Valkyrie a place in the MU.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but there is no need for a new Valkrie. Or to make the blond Valkorie look like movie Valk. Marvel could just push Daniel Moonstar in movie Valks Costume to solve the problem.

But still give the orginal Valkyrie a place in the MU.
    Of course, but ... I would worry more about that Marvel can be able to retcon the whole Valkyrie story erasing the Enchantress from the equation and change it to Hela when Amora is the most important part of the Valkyrie story.

I like the Danielle Moonstar suggestion

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

As others have said I think it's simply the case of having two different Valkyries, as so many other heroes have done in the past with multiple people with the same code name. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Neither Thor or Black Panther are obscure. Valkyrie, Heimdall, Nightrasher and Triathlon are. Also, it wouldn't make sense to make Black Panther a white South African because he is a Wakanda heir from a black Wakandan dynasty. Now Brunnhilde is a Valkyrie, it's not set in stone she needs to be white, since the Asgard in the comics is very different than the Nordic Asgard mythology. Also, did you know that Colleen Wing used to be white in the comics?

Now when I think of her I don't see Byrne's character, but Jessica Henwick's likeness. Things change, and I'm cool with that.
    This is also false Colleen Wing has always been half asian and half white. You really should read up before posting.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

My opinion creating a New Valkyrie based off Tessa Thompson's film version is a great idea. Changing the existing Brunnhilde version to match is dumb.

I will admit it is amusing that for the last year during Hydra Cap/Sam Wilson Captains America, Riri Williams Iron Man, Jane Foster Thor, and Amadeus Cho Hulk when people brought up that Marvel heroes should more reflect the MCU because of potential new readers that was scoffed at but now synergy is important.

Given that Tessa's Valkyrie isn't even Brunnhilde, it would be stupid to change Brunnhilde into Tessa's version, Introducing Tessa's version as a new character would be a better idea

As a Brunhilde Booster from day 1, I agree with the above 2 posters!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Of course, but ... I would worry more about that Marvel can be able to retcon the whole Valkyrie story erasing the Enchantress from the equation and change it to Hela when Amora is the most important part of the Valkyrie story.

]I like the Danielle Moonstar suggestion
    I think it makes more sense then trying to create a brand new character to regrow a fan base or to risk pissing off an established fan base on the off chance a few new and old readers may take to a racebend. Moonstar is already a established character with her own fan base and a very strong history with Asgardian lore in the MU. She is also currently not a mutant anymore (technically) so it would be easy for marvel to take her off the bench put her in movie Valks costume and go from there.

Personally, I think it would be really cool for marvel to look in their box of forgotten toys when these movies come out instead of just messing with estabilshed history. Causes way to much fan division in my opinion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.
    Agreed. And more Dani-as-Valkyrie would also be cool. It's not like there aren't nine Valkyries, and we haven't seen half of them anyway, so there's plenty of room for a non-white Valkyrie to be added to the roster.

Just fanwank that they themselves are chosen from women who died warrior's deaths, and this particular woman was black. (Same with Einherjar. They are chosen from people who die particularly valorous deaths, in battles watched over by the Valkyries, and while the Valkyries might start out watching over battles involving Norsemen/Vikings, those battles might be against non-Norsemen, and some of their *foes* might die particularly valorous or 'worthy' deaths, and be offered ride to Valhalla by an impressed Valkyrie, resulting in the 'Norse' army of fallen warriors including a percentage of non-whites, who acquitted themselves spectacularly in fights the Valkyrie were watching, despite not being Norse. The Vikings raided as far south as *North Africa,* so it's not like real world history doesn't have precedent for this sort of thing.)

Ugh. And someone brought up gods of Egypt. From the director who brought us The Crow and Dark City, such awfulness...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    No, I like the Brunnhilde we had in Fearless Defenders. She was frakking awesome!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Just having a new character be a Valkyrie actually makes a lot more sense then most of these kind of swap/replacements situations because the Valkyries are an order of warriors. There are supposed to be multiple Valkyries wandering around.

(Its unlikely that Marvel would actually base her of Tessa in specific, because I doubt they want to pay her for her likeness if they don't have to.)

We have almost 150 posts about this?

Since as far as I'm aware, it's never been proven that there is any significant increase in people deciding to try a comic book simply because of the movie, . . . why is this even being debated?

Nah. Every character is someone's favourite.

Besides, sets a precedent for more movie synergy, which I feel is a bad idea. Marvel's more likely to Nick Fury Jr her rather than morph her appearance.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We have almost 150 posts about this?

Since as far as I'm aware, it's never been proven that there is any significant increase in people deciding to try a comic book simply because of the movie, . . . why is this even being debated?
    There's no significant increase in monthly comic book sales. I'm pretty sure there's some increase in trade sales at bookstores. Not sure we know about digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Nah. Every character is someone's favourite.

Besides, sets a precedent for more movie synergy, which I feel is a bad idea. Marvel's more likely to Nick Fury Jr her rather than morph her appearance.
    Media synergy has ALWAYS been with us, dating from the 40s. If it works, it becomes a classic (i.e. Inspector Henderson, and other classic Superman aspects). If it doesn't, it doesn't. Only way to see is to try it out.