Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Why didn't they just keep ALL the Norse characters as Scandanavian looking viking people in the movie? Jane Fosters girlfriend could have been black for diversity or the scientist who was helping Jane.
    Are we actually at the point where movie writers are ashamed to have an all-white group of Norse Viking gods? Or do they feel like black folks can't relate to a blonde Norse amazon god who is actually supposed to look like a sister of Thor according to the comic book?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Nope. Noooo. No thank you. This synergy malarkey does my head in. The movies don’t bring in new readers. Nobody is rushing out for a Tessa Thompson comic after watching Ragnarok.

BANNED

I'm fine with the original Valkyrie thank you very much.

No need to sync up with the movie version.

Quote Originally Posted by joelr View Post
    Why didn't they just keep ALL the Norse characters as Scandanavian looking viking people in the movie?
    Kenneth Brannagh casts his movies theater style.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-09-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Is Sigurd in the comics the only black asgardian?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Sigurd_...28Earth-616%29

Extraordinary Member

I found another black Asgardian from the comics.

Milla (Earth-616)

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Milla_(Earth-616)

The important question is, there will be arabian wakandians?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Lazy comic book fans. Wow. Once again, I have to mention...LOWER YOUR PRICES. I would like to try some new titles out, but paying $5 a pop for a single comic in Canada is stupid expensive. I am a fan. Just not one with a huge amount of disposable income to spend on comics. A lot of DC comics have a lower price tag, too bad Marvel refuses to follow suit.
    I agree. I have ample disposable income, I just don't see the point of indulging these money grubbing maniacs. Besides, there are other entertainment options.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The important question is, there will be arabian wakandians?
    Sure, why not? I bet if a country like Wakanda truly existed in the real world, people from around the world would flock to it. Europeans, Asians, people from the Latin world, and yes, even Americans. Ex-patriots galore.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Come to think of it. What is Marvel planning with Valkyrie right now in comics?

Niffleheim

She was a non-entity before the movie and i hope she remains a nonentity after the movie lol!

Quote Originally Posted by joelr View Post
    Why didn't they just keep ALL the Norse characters as Scandanavian looking viking people in the movie? Jane Fosters girlfriend could have been black for diversity or the scientist who was helping Jane.
    Are we actually at the point where movie writers are ashamed to have an all-white group of Norse Viking gods? Or do they feel like black folks can't relate to a blonde Norse amazon god who is actually supposed to look like a sister of Thor according to the comic book?
    maybe they were trying to keep skinheads from flocking to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    She was a non-entity before the movie and i hope she remains a nonentity after the movie lol!
    she was a huge part of the Fear Itself event, a long-term member of the Secret Avengers, and the love interest of Flash Thompson for awhile. There's also the Defenders series; of which she was a focus character.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    maybe they were trying to keep skinheads from flocking to the movie.
    SALON magazine says they were ""Thor: Ragnarok" is a hammer in the face to the alt-right."

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Egyptians were (and are) caucasians/caucasoids (a group that spans not just northern, central and western Europe, but eastern Europeans, Spain, Portugal, southern Italy the Caucasus mountain area including Iran, Turkey, Daghestan, Georgia, and Armenia, north Africa, the middle east, central Asia, India save for possibly Dravidans, the Balkans, etc., so far more diverse than just saying white people) some pharaoh lineages like that of Tutankhamun and Akhenaten had red hair and blood similar to Celts. Some Berbers (North African aboriginals that predate the Arab Muslim migration there but have since mostly intermixed) have blond and red hair and blue, grey, and green eyes. Not really as far off in having some Brits play Egyptians as having someone of mostly sub-Saharan African descent play a viking god.
    That being said the Marvel cinematic universe has already established their Norse gods as just aliens and not as connected with the Scandinavian peoples as the comic book versions; so while having a black Valkyrie there still is odd, it's not as odd as making the comic book version (an already well established character with a ton of history and a definitive connection to the Scandinavians that worshiped her) black.
    Ancient Egyptians were not Caucasians. That's a white supremacist wet dream. European scholars asserted that the so-called 'Egyptians' were non-African until Cheikh Anta Diop's melanin pigmentation test on mummified pharaohs proved otherwise.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with professor Diop's work and his findings on the subject. You also might want to read The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality, Precolonial Black Africa and Cheikh Anta Diop And the New Light
    by John Henrik Clarke.

https://keyamsha.com/2017/04/10/the-...ikh-anta-diop/
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-09-2017 at 08:01 PM.