Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    You guys do understand that movies do not generate new readers, right?

The MCU has been chugging along, elevating the popularity of comic book material for nearly ten years. Still there has been no massive influx of new readers for Marvel. People do not watch these movies and then sprint for the nearest comic store in order to read everything there is to read about the characters they just saw. Not in any significant numbers anyway.

If the movies were pulling in new comics fans, Iron Man would be one of Marvel's consistent top sellers. It isn't. Dr. Strange's movie did nothing to make his book sell better. Guardians of the Galaxy? Same story.

Why should Marvel radically alter their long-term characters to accommodate these nonexistent new readers?
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Only on her bad days .
    stern-era Jan was serious enough to match movie-Hope, imo.

https://diaryofacomicbookgoddess.fil...fef7b4cd70.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 11-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

No, no, no they Should just put Angela in that character role and put her charge of the Valkyrie and make her fill that role in the MCU. ( if sunspot can go from black to white let Angela do the reverse when she assumes power with or such)

let them keep her current her lover or write a natural build up if a romance with Brunhilde is planned.

angela.jpg

Give Hela back her realm and keeping Dani Moonstar under her contract. (keeping up natural race and culture mixing threw good storytelling) if If race flipping do it well but don't change everything to be PC overload.

such things are silly but fun whenever tried. and neat to see reactions to however it goes
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 11-11-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    No, no, no they Should just put Angela in that character role and put her charge of the Valkyrie and make her fill that role in the MCU. ( if sunspot can go from black to white let Angela do the reverse when she assumes power with or such)

let them keep her current her lover or write a natural build up if a romance with Brunhilde is planned.

angela.jpg
    Angela was banned from Asgardia by the royal family. They literally marked her skin as a traitor. What makes anyone think Odin would turn her into a Valkyrie? I mean, what makes anyone think Angela would even WANT to work for Odin and the asgardians? She despises them. So no, no Valkyrie stuff for Angela, thank you very much. I do think Marvel should use her more, but she's fine in her current ''fallen angel trying to find her place in the world'' role.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Angela was banned from Asgardia by the royal family. They literally marked her skin as a traitor. What makes anyone think Odin would turn her into a Valkyrie? I mean, what makes anyone think Angela would even WANT to work for Odin and the asgardians? She despises them. So no, no Valkyrie stuff for Angela, thank you very much. I do think Marvel should use her more, but she's fine in her current ''fallen angel trying to find her place in the world'' role.
    Perhaps it's an open challenge to Asgard after showing more family lies (or Loki tricks) leads her to take the Valkyrie to the 10th realm. and rule from there

a good story is all it takes
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 11-11-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Spectacular Member

Movie fans don't really translate to the comics, particularly not for secondary characters so I don't think unnecessary synergy like this is really a draw card.

That said I wouldn't be opposed to a new black Valkyrie alongside Brunhilde but she shouldn't replace her. If Marvel wants to promote a black heroine that isn't Storm it should be Monica Rambeau.

Extraordinary Member

I think the thing that people have lost sight of is, that the actors in these movies are signing up to inhabit the role of the characters, not the other way around. Tessa Thompson was cast to play Valkyrie, Valkyrie wasn't cast to play Tessa Thompson. Plus, Tessa's character was never directly said to be Brunhilde.

Plus, there is one very obvious consideration here: the people currently playing the characters are not going to be doing so forever and then new actors will take their place in new adaptations. That's the thing about these characters. They are ageless, while the actors who play them are not. If we changed a character to look like their movie/TV counterpart every time a new movie or TV show came out, we'd be changing them almost every five years or so.

Either way, if Tessa is playing Brunhilde, I don't think anyone would be confused by the simple premise that she has a different appearance in the movies than she does in the comics.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

I don’t think of Chris Hemsworth when I read Thor in the comics so why would I need to see Valkyrie’s appearance in the comics changed to match how she looks in the movies? To me they are two entirely different versions of the characters.

saw the movie this weekend. great performances all around. they picked the right director. and I think, this particular case, the diversity of the cast actually improved the movie. Tessa Thompson really delivered. and I'm on record as despising Tessa Thompson (still wish that I hadn't blind bought 'Dear White People'). and I couldn't imagine anyone else inhabiting the particular version of Heimdall; other than Idris Elba. everyone being Scandinavian in appearance wouldn't have improved the Thor movies one bit. but, if it makes you feel any better, all of the really powerful characters are white. Heimdall just has really good vision. sparks aren't coming off of him.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I was thinking in a possibility (maybe it can be a bad idea, sorry).

What would happen if Marvel does it but thinking well and make both Valkyries (the original and the MCU) on comics without one dissapearing and the other one stealing her name, could that Valkyrie, be a future daughter of Lorelei and Sigurd?

If so, it would not be ironic considering certain past stories on comics and the past of Amora the enchantress and her sister with the Valkyries, but the result of a certain irony, that Sigurd and Lorelei married and had a daughter who would become a Valkyrie just being similar to the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye

might as well-- Marvel has no excuse-- make it happen, somebody. There's more than one Valkyrie besides Brunhilde. Bring on the "Tessa" character. Give her the short swords she has in the movies.

wow--!! it's happening now!!! Whoo-hoo!!

https://www.newsarama.com/38088-thor...-universe.html
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    might as well-- Marvel has no excuse-- make it happen, somebody. There's more than one Valkyrie besides Brunhilde. Bring on the "Tessa" character. Give her the short swords she has in the movies.

wow--!! it's happening now!!! Whoo-hoo!!

https://www.newsarama.com/38088-thor...-universe.html
    Yes, probably the best way to handle it.

But I did so want to see my Brunhilde-Valkyrie on the Big Screen with golden Dragonfang and Aaragon...

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, probably the best way to handle it.

But I did so want to see my Brunhilde-Valkyrie on the Big Screen with golden Dragonfang and Aaragon...
    Well, at least and for once, Marvel does a logical and coherent thing with this.

Exiles book and being for another universe makes it better done than what we have had during those years with some determined characters.

Maybe she's gonna be in the team in a way similar of what we saw in the first exiles book with Nocturne.
    Last edited by Charlie_1981; 01-08-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Ultimate Member

I wonder if she'll be LGBT (Tessa Thompson has said that she views MCU Valkyrie as such and there was apparently a scene cut out that would have heavily implied it as well)?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I wonder if she'll be LGBT (Tessa Thompson has said that she views MCU Valkyrie as such and there was apparently a scene cut out that would have heavily implied it as well)?
    Saladin called her "Maiden Woo-ing" so it's probable.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum